Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 393996 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #2790 on: October 12, 2020, 12:13:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Is anyone more salty with how we crapped the bed in the ECF than the Lakers winning the title? I definitely feel that way.

Yeah. I'll admit I thought Toronto was the toughest team in the East remaining after the first round and was so happy when we beat them in Game 7. Then we choked away the ECF with blown leads, stupid basketball, and lots of turnovers  ::)

But I was also ticked off seeing the Clippers choke their series despite all their big leads, and then of course Denver loses in a gentleman sweep to the Lakers. Lakers ultimately got an easier path to the Finals than we'd thought.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2791 on: October 12, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Is anyone more salty with how we crapped the bed in the ECF than the Lakers winning the title? I definitely feel that way.

Yeah. I'll admit I thought Toronto was the toughest team in the East remaining after the first round and was so happy when we beat them in Game 7. Then we choked away the ECF with blown leads, stupid basketball, and lots of turnovers  ::)

But I was also ticked off seeing the Clippers choke their series despite all their big leads, and then of course Denver loses in a gentleman sweep to the Lakers. Lakers ultimately got an easier path to the Finals than we'd thought.

Basically took everything that had to go wrong for the West for the Lakers to win. And the Celtics choked leads after leads to Miami in addition to poor basketball. They were very beatable.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2792 on: October 12, 2020, 12:24:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

No, I think when you look at what Jimmy did in the Finals it becomes even clearer that this Celts team was just not ready to be able to beat that Heat team.  The Heat had an edge and a focus that the Celtics lacked.  Jimmy was gonna do whatever it took, including playing nearly the whole game and doing a LeBron impression.  That wasn't enough against the Lakers but it certainly was enough to beat the Celtics. 

I'm hoping that Tatum, Brown et al learned some lessons watching that Heat team.  I hope we get to see Tatum take over at the end of games the way Jimmy did in this playoff run (and hopefully in a Celtics jersey).

At the end of the day this Celts team wasn't meant to compete for a title this year.  The only reason they came a couple games from making the Finals is that Milwaukee imploded and Philly was a mess.  Even at that, if Simmons hadn't gotten hurt, the Celts might have lost in the 1st round.  Or maybe Philly would have taken 6-7 games and then the Celts wouldn't have had the gas to beat Toronto.

Anyway, the way I look at the playoffs, there were always three teams with a better than outside shot at winning the title.  Two of them imploded.  So it's not surprising that the last one standing ended up winning.  I'm thankful that the Lakers at least got challenged in a couple of games in the Finals instead of cruising to a victory.

I feel great about next year.  Can't wait for next season to start.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain