24 (19.8%)
Nets
24 (19.8%)
Clippers
6 (5%)
Other
12 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Author Topic: The Kyrie Irving free agency thread(to sign 4yr/$141M w/Nets page 105)  (Read 145641 times)

Re: The Kyrie Irving complaint and free agency thread
« Reply #885 on: May 18, 2019, 01:38:37 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Am I the only one that thinks that teams that are willing to offer Kyrie the 4 year max are starting to cool off on that idea..
I read knicks and nets boards and the majority of there fans were saying they want Kyrie only if Durant or Kawhi want him in order to sign. Similar reports show up on “news outlets” like Hoopshype.
At this point maybe only the lakers would give him the 4 year max unconditionally.  Kyrie will be really stupid to turn down the 5 year max here.

Every team will be happy to give Kyrie the max.
Happy is a little bit of a stretch ... more like sound business decision ?

Delighted -- they'll be delighted to get a player as talented as Kyrie Irving. Elite talent is hard to come by in the NBA. Kyrie has that.

Teams are literally lining up to give him a max contract.

But according to Celticsblog, Kyrie is just an average talent who can’t lead any team to the championship. ;)
I'm not a Kyrie fan but it is silly how some folks on here are downgrading  a 27 year old top 15 player in the league whose next contract will be has prime years.  I don't see him as a #1 star on a championship team but you still have to pay your #2 star the Max. 

« Reply #886 on: May 18, 2019, 01:39:57 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
https://nba.nbcsports.com/author/kurthelin/

Kyrie Irving remains one of the absolute lynchpins of summer free agency, and his decision may have the most ripple effects.

Kevin Durant may leave Golden State for New York, maybe Kawhi Leonard bolts the Raptors for the Clippers, but the choices there tend to be more binary. One or the other. Irving, whatever he decides, will impact the fates of a lot of teams, including the looming Anthony Davis trade (which, despite David Griffin’s protestations, is still going to happen).

However, after a down playoffs, Irving’s options may be shrinking, reports Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald.

The most interesting bit of information from several sources that we’ve been able to consolidate and confirm is that some teams thought to have interest in Irving as a free agent are now a great deal more wary. Based on the way things played out with the Celtics this season and Irving’s role both off the court all year and on it in the playoff loss to Milwaukee, certain clubs are concerned about putting too many eggs in his basket right away.

Two teams for certain are telling people they will only go after him if they land another marquee free agent and that player says he wants Irving. In each of these cases, the initial target is different. (There was worry on one of those clubs that the basketball ops people might be overruled by ownership and told to make Irving a primary aim, but that organization is now on the same page.)

Sources around the league have said the plan for Danny Ainge and the Boston Celtics has not changed: Trade for Anthony Davis (likely at the draft) then on July 1 max out Kyrie Irving and get him to stay.

Irving had maybe his best regular season ever, 23.8 points per game, shooting 40.1 percent from three, dishing out 6.9 assists, and personal best (or second best) seasons in a lot of advanced stats (PER, win shares, VORP, etc.). However, his leadership throughout the season was in question, and that came to a head during the playoffs. His isolation heavy game took away from the ball movement and player movement that had worked for the younger core led by Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. The Celtics were not on the same page as a team and it showed when they faced the Bucks (part of that, also, is that the Bucks have come into their own as a dominant team).

Irving is going to have multiple max offers in front of him this July. If Durant goes to the Knicks and says “get me Irving” there will be one. The Lakers are expected to make a call. The list goes on and on, and it includes the Boston Celtics, but a lot of those teams may be pushed into that decision now, rather than go willingly.

Whatever Irving decides, his decision will have ripple effects throughout the NBA.

« Reply #887 on: May 18, 2019, 02:07:29 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

https://nba.nbcsports.com/author/kurthelin/

Kyrie Irving remains one of the absolute lynchpins of summer free agency, and his decision may have the most ripple effects.

Kevin Durant may leave Golden State for New York, maybe Kawhi Leonard bolts the Raptors for the Clippers, but the choices there tend to be more binary. One or the other. Irving, whatever he decides, will impact the fates of a lot of teams, including the looming Anthony Davis trade (which, despite David Griffin’s protestations, is still going to happen).

However, after a down playoffs, Irving’s options may be shrinking, reports Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald.

The most interesting bit of information from several sources that we’ve been able to consolidate and confirm is that some teams thought to have interest in Irving as a free agent are now a great deal more wary. Based on the way things played out with the Celtics this season and Irving’s role both off the court all year and on it in the playoff loss to Milwaukee, certain clubs are concerned about putting too many eggs in his basket right away.

Two teams for certain are telling people they will only go after him if they land another marquee free agent and that player says he wants Irving. In each of these cases, the initial target is different. (There was worry on one of those clubs that the basketball ops people might be overruled by ownership and told to make Irving a primary aim, but that organization is now on the same page.)

Sources around the league have said the plan for Danny Ainge and the Boston Celtics has not changed: Trade for Anthony Davis (likely at the draft) then on July 1 max out Kyrie Irving and get him to stay.

Irving had maybe his best regular season ever, 23.8 points per game, shooting 40.1 percent from three, dishing out 6.9 assists, and personal best (or second best) seasons in a lot of advanced stats (PER, win shares, VORP, etc.). However, his leadership throughout the season was in question, and that came to a head during the playoffs. His isolation heavy game took away from the ball movement and player movement that had worked for the younger core led by Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. The Celtics were not on the same page as a team and it showed when they faced the Bucks (part of that, also, is that the Bucks have come into their own as a dominant team).

Irving is going to have multiple max offers in front of him this July. If Durant goes to the Knicks and says “get me Irving” there will be one. The Lakers are expected to make a call. The list goes on and on, and it includes the Boston Celtics, but a lot of those teams may be pushed into that decision now, rather than go willingly.

Whatever Irving decides, his decision will have ripple effects throughout the NBA.

Of all the rumors I’ve seen, this is the one I strongly believe is complete and utter BS. Even if it were true we didn’t expect Kyrie to go to any team by himself anyway as he’s been tied to KD as well as AD

« Reply #888 on: May 18, 2019, 02:51:47 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Am I the only one that thinks that teams that are willing to offer Kyrie the 4 year max are starting to cool off on that idea..
I read knicks and nets boards and the majority of there fans were saying they want Kyrie only if Durant or Kawhi want him in order to sign. Similar reports show up on “news outlets” like Hoopshype.
At this point maybe only the lakers would give him the 4 year max unconditionally.  Kyrie will be really stupid to turn down the 5 year max here.

Every team will be happy to give Kyrie the max.
Happy is a little bit of a stretch ... more like sound business decision ?

Delighted -- they'll be delighted to get a player as talented as Kyrie Irving. Elite talent is hard to come by in the NBA. Kyrie has that.

Teams are literally lining up to give him a max contract.

But according to Celticsblog, Kyrie is just an average talent who can’t lead any team to the championship. ;)
I'm not a Kyrie fan but it is silly how some folks on here are downgrading  a 27 year old top 15 player in the league whose next contract will be has prime years.  I don't see him as a #1 star on a championship team but you still have to pay your #2 star the Max.

Recency bias but he cracked in the playoffs, and that is what he will be paid a max contract for.  The Celtics do not need Kyrie to sell out games.

Pierce, Rondo, Rose and Billups on Celtics exit
« Reply #889 on: May 19, 2019, 11:22:40 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=trOkHvO3auo

Side note, would you want Rondo back if Kyrie bolts?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Pierce, Rondo, Rose and Billups on Celtics exit
« Reply #890 on: May 19, 2019, 11:31:10 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The legend of "Playoff Rondo" has not aged well. I'll pass on bringing him back.

« Reply #891 on: May 19, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
No thanks on Rondo. He already clashed (and quit) on Stevens once.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #892 on: May 19, 2019, 11:45:28 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
*sigh*

Meanwhile Kyrie quit on the coaches philosophy at the beginning of the season.

And for all of Kyrie's scoring and all of Rondo's so-called bad behavior...Kyrie is not and will never be the playmaker Rondo is/was.

And I say this knowing good and well Rondo is not coming back here

« Reply #893 on: May 19, 2019, 12:03:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
*sigh*

Meanwhile Kyrie quit on the coaches philosophy at the beginning of the season.

And for all of Kyrie's scoring and all of Rondo's so-called bad behavior...Kyrie is not and will never be the playmaker Rondo is/was.

And I say this knowing good and well Rondo is not coming back here
Completely different players with different responsibilities and completely different skill sets.

Rondo is the consummate pass first PG who you do not want with the ball in his hands late in tight games. Kyrie is the consummate shoot first PG who you definitely do want to have the ball late in games.

If you have Rondo, you need to construct your roster and run your offense differently than if Kyrie is your PG.

Strangely, people complain of both dribbling the ball out way to much at the top of the key, Kyrie to go iso and score, Rondo to find the perfect pass to get an easy basket and an assist.

At this point I would rather have Kyrie but, I do prefer my PGs to be more like prime 2008-2012 Rondo, a pass first PG with off the chart passing skills and court vision, tremendous rebounding abilities and great defense. Unfortunately that Rondo was as bad if not worse a leader than Kyrie and probably just as mercurial and more difficult behind the scenes.

« Reply #894 on: May 19, 2019, 12:07:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
At this point I would rather have Kyrie but, I do prefer my PGs to be more like prime 2008-2012 Rondo, a pass first PG with off the chart passing skills and court vision, tremendous rebounding abilities and great defense. Unfortunately that Rondo was as bad if not worse a leader than Kyrie and probably just as mercurial and more difficult behind the scenes.

And, that Rondo decided to quit playing defense and eventually showed a propensity to chase stats. Instead of a guy who did the little things, he tried to be a really poor man’s Westbrook. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #895 on: May 19, 2019, 12:11:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

And, that Rondo decided to quit playing defense and eventually showed a propensity to chase stats. Instead of a guy who did the little things, he tried to be a really poor man’s Westbrook.
Yes, after 2012, Rondo did do all that. I would never want that Rondo on the team again. But I did love me some prime Robdo. That dude was a warrior in the playoffs.

But Rondo burned down his bridge here. He will never be back.

« Reply #896 on: May 19, 2019, 12:42:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just posted

Cedric Maxwell - everyone deferred to Irving

https://youtu.be/DHsvUBcEfHw?t=19

Danny's Pitch to Kyrie
« Reply #897 on: May 22, 2019, 10:21:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
1. You are great, but you need help. All the great players need help, including Lebron when he went to Miami, and back to Cleveland.
2. We will get you the help you need. We will get Anthony Davis. He is the perfect fit for you and the rest of the team.  He will relieve the pressure on you to score, will anchor our defense, and increase our rebounding presence, resulting in more touches. We have the best package to get him.  He and you are about the same age. We want to build a dynasty around you two. The Warriors, God bless them, are about to expire. 
3. Brad will adapt his schemes to center the offense around you and Anthony Davis.
4. The consolidation of our roster will be a net positive. No more complaining about minutes.
5. Terry Rozier is gone.
6. Gordon Hayward is going to be Utah Gordon. 
7. You played great in the Indiana series, sweeping a decent team.
8.  The Bucks double and triple teamed you, and we had no one else to step up.  And you also went cold. Happens to the best of them.
9.  The young guys have either matured (Brown) or are gone (Tatum, Rozier).  This new team will be focused on veterans, like you, Davis, Horford and Hayward. (And Smart if we somehow are able to keep him, but I think he will be included in Davis trade).
10.  You and Brad go kiss and make up.

Re: Danny's Pitch to Kyrie
« Reply #898 on: May 22, 2019, 10:24:34 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
1. You are great, but you need help. All the great players need help, including Lebron when he went to Miami, and back to Cleveland.
2. We will get you the help you need. We will get Anthony Davis. He is the perfect fit for you and the rest of the team.  He will relieve the pressure on you to score, will anchor our defense, and increase our rebounding presence, resulting in more touches. We have the best package to get him.  He and you are about the same age. We want to build a dynasty around you two. The Warriors, God bless them, are about to expire. 
3. Brad will adapt his schemes to center the offense around you and Anthony Davis.
4. The consolidation of our roster will be a net positive. No more complaining about minutes.
5. Terry Rozier is gone.
6. Gordon Hayward is going to be Utah Gordon. 
7. You played great in the Indiana series, sweeping a decent team.
8.  The Bucks double and triple teamed you, and we had no one else to step up.  And you also went cold. Happens to the best of them.
9.  The young guys have either matured (Brown) or are gone (Tatum, Rozier).  This new team will be focused on veterans, like you, Davis, Horford and Hayward. (And Smart if we somehow are able to keep him, but I think he will be included in Davis trade).
10.  You and Brad go kiss and make up.

1A. We can pay you $50 million more than any other team in the league.

Re: Danny's Pitch to Kyrie
« Reply #899 on: May 22, 2019, 10:32:08 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Danny convincing Kyrie or Footey convincing a disillusioned, grumoy fan base?  ;)