8 (9.4%)
80's
12 (14.1%)
90's
5 (5.9%)
00's
58 (68.2%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Which Decade Has Produced the Worst Music - Poll  (Read 18900 times)

Re: Which Decade Has Produced the Worst Music - Poll
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 02:27:18 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
This decade easy. Who's the artist who's going to be looked back upon as an icon? Where are the bands who people will still be listening to in twenty years?

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 02:33:32 PM »

Offline JamItMaurice

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Insert Quote
If you said this decade you're not listening to the right music. The bubblegum stuff produced by the music industry is not good, however there are plenty of bands that don't get as much radio play that are excellent.
Some of my favorite bands that aren't that mainstream are:
Vampire Weekend, Muse, Modest Mouse. Plus it has to be just behind the 90's as the best time for rap.

Love Modest mouse, totally agree with you about rap, although I'd put the nineties quite a bit ahead of this decade.

That being said, the first half of this decade was dominated by such distinguished artists as Britney, J. Lo and the boy bands. I hope that's not how history remembers this decade.

Although, once JT left N'sync and started to make solid records was right about the time pop started to get easier to listen to... I can't believe i just wrote that

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 02:38:10 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I don't know what is the worst, but it is quite apparent that the 90s are sandwiched between two perhaps equally bad decades.  The early 90s built on everything good from the 80s with the rise of grunge and good rock/alternative.  Mid-late 90s rap with Tupac, Biggie, Jay-Z, Nas, etc. provided everything good that this decade ran with and made terrible.

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 02:57:25 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
The economics of the music business have changed so much. No labels can afford to take any chances with new sounds. Anything remotely interesting has to be "discovered" through online sources, which are increasingly difficult to monetize, therefore not supporting any full-time artists.

All music sounds the same because no one pays $15 anymore to get 1 or 2 songs they like. That's why all bands have to look and sounds the same. Music has always been a copycat business, but nothing like now..

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 03:04:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The economics of the music business have changed so much. No labels can afford to take any chances with new sounds. Anything remotely interesting has to be "discovered" through online sources, which are increasingly difficult to monetize, therefore not supporting any full-time artists.

All music sounds the same because no one pays $15 anymore to get 1 or 2 songs they like. That's why all bands have to look and sounds the same. Music has always been a copycat business, but nothing like now..

and record stores go out of biz  :(
Yup

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 03:04:59 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
When you say worst music, what do you mean?  Over all or any specific style?  

Disco in the 70's was absolutley atrocious, but a ton of amazing music was made in the 70's.  

Same thing with the 80's, 80's new wave was god aweful but the metal and hard rock of the 80's was great.  

As a total decade I'd have to go with this one.  Only a hand full of really good albums, and the pop music (I hate pop music)isn't even listenable.      

If I hade to rate them I'd probably go 80's-70's-60's-90's-00's

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 03:11:05 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Coming from an 18 year old, this decade has had the worst music i've ever listened to. This pop/rap techno trash is like raking nails across a chalkboard for my ears. Out of all my favorite artists I can maybe pick only 1 band from the 00's I liked and that's "disturbed"....
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 03:12:51 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Current decade by a mile, from Justin Timberlake to Nelly to the Jonas brothers, it's all commercial, soulless refuse.

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Coming from an 18 year old, this decade has had the worst music i've ever listened to. This pop/rap techno trash is like raking nails across a chalkboard for my ears. Out of all my favorite artists I can maybe pick only 1 band from the 00's I liked and that's "disturbed"....
So do you like Rage and Lepplin from other decades? I bet I could find something you like from this decade that is way better than disturbed.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 03:16:42 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
the current decade is the worst imo

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 03:18:52 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Unfortunately I only see the situation getting worse. I'm not in the music business, but I think the chances of some A&R guy going to the Sunset Strip to discover the next Guns N Roses are slim to none. Way too time consuming and expensive to sign, produce, and promote an act that way under the current realities. You need a ready-made act that can be promoted via another platform, a la Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers, High School Musical, etc. Then revenue can be driven via DVD's, posters, merchandise, etc.

The key here is that the actual musical content is not what is driving the music business, it's stuff on the periphery..

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 03:24:49 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
So do you like Rage and Lepplin from other decades? I bet I could find something you like from this decade that is way better than disturbed.
Zepplin obviously.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 03:34:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This decade didn't even produce music. It produced one hit wonders, super models and debutantes that tried to sing, and reality shows.

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
This decade didn't even produce music. It produced one hit wonders, super models and debutantes that tried to sing, and reality shows.

perhaps which decade produced the best supermodel should be the next question.
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 03:50:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
NEW THREAD!!!!!!!!