Author Topic: Notorious BIG or Tupac  (Read 16272 times)

Re: Notorious BIG or Tupac
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis

People think Tupac was a human rights activist because he was.  His library of music is about equality for people of all colors, and he humanized those communities that are raised in a culture of violence and poverty while Biggy (agreed, greatest lyricist of all time) was rapping about rims and hoes with Puffy dancing in the background.

I understand that a casual hip hop fan might not understand how someone who lived and died in a world of violence and gang affiliations might seem an odd fit for "Dr. King of Hip Hop," but in fact Thug Life was a complicated ideology Pac popularized about the cycle of violence and poverty that he himself embodied, struggled with, and connected to all people who have been forced to desperate measures in order to survive in hard times.

I know almost all songs by both Biggy & Pac by heart, and so do most of their fans.  Biggy is in my pantheon off greatest ever hip hop artists, no diss to him, but all that tongue twisting was empty noise in comparison to the depth and humility that Pac brought to his music.  Pac presented himself as vulnerable, fallible and 3 dimensional.  If you like word play, Biggy was the man.  But Pac had something better: meaningful, honest content.  That, and not the fact that I'm a whiteboy (see my previous discussion on this thread), is why I have his name tattooed on my arm and will play him at my funeral.

couldnt have said it better..thats how i see it completely

A Reggie guy AND a Pac guy?  2 TPs, I would def buy you a beer anytime  ;)

oh mos def...tp back at ya....

heres my stance.....people cant separate Pac's lyrical efforts to send a message from his issues with the law.  However, an artist musical gifts to the world should not be tainted by any indiscretions they may have had with the law.  The messages Pac sent cross racial boundaries and were far deeped than most of his peers.   

To me, it seems like a lot of the modern great rappers (meaningful lryics wise) aka Talib, Common, Kanye are simply following in Pac's footsteps but are much wiser and maybe better "citizens" to avoid Johnny Law.

Without tryin to bring the hate, heres something i wonder about, i own every mos def album, i like him enough but i dont see why his music is held in such regard.  I simply cant pop in one of his albums and just enjoy like i can w/Talib, Kanye, Pac, or Common.  I know thats an unpopular view, but i will say i do enjoy his acting very much..,Something The Lord Made, wow, he deserved an Emmy for that

edit: my original "mos def" to start the post had nothing to do with my later question about Mos Def...coincidence, more of an homage to D'Angelo from the wire
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2009, 05:14:07 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I'm gonna go with BIG. He had better lyrics and flow. Pac rapped about better subject matters that could inspire you. BIG's the better rapper, Pac's the bigger inspiration, in my opinion.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2009, 05:24:04 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q0gqpOyx9o

Either way, Tupac and Biggie ain't mad atcha.

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
biggie is tops in my book; but two lives cut short too soon for stupid reasons
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2009, 06:33:47 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Is 'neither' an option?
God bless and good night!

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2009, 08:18:06 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Both are thug punks, and CelticsBlog is sullied by the mere mention of them.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2009, 08:27:53 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Neither.
Tupac's music just doesn't do anything for me, for whatever reason.  Although i'll agree his lyrics are one of the best.
But Biggie's music really bothers me to listen to.
So i guess Tupac kinda wins.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2009, 08:38:49 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Biggie.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2009, 05:30:03 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm not a big rap guy, but Biggie is hands down the best rapper I've ever heard.  Tupac has some solid tracks, and I get hit by a wave of nostalgia when I hear him (All Eyes on Me was huge when I was in high school), but as I've gotten older it's no longer a contest between these two.

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2009, 09:33:41 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Tupac by a hair for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeMKM-eQPB4

Is my favorite song.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2009, 11:44:37 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I'm a huge fan of 2pac(makaveli) since i was like 13 years old. He won me over with Letter 2 my unborn, that song is the bomb.
There's so much to say about him so I won't even start, I will only tell you guys that I listen to his songs all day long, I fell so unhappy that he isn't alive and tryin' to change the world.
In a few days it will be 13 year without my rolemodel, and I'm planing tattooing his name among angel wings on the wrist of my left hand, cause I consider him my guardian angel :)
Makaveli lives forever...or at least as long as I live
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2009, 07:04:18 PM »

Offline kheeko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 69
Are we on a Lakers site/LA based blog? 2pac?

pffft

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2009, 07:10:34 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
Are we on a Lakers site/LA based blog? 2pac?

pffft

Hey, it's not our fault that Pac was better  :P

He's a NY guy anyway...