Author Topic: Improve the bench  (Read 14594 times)

Re: Improve the bench
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2024, 05:24:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Boston needs a PF/C player the most.  Honestly I think the next need is a true PG.  It'd be nice to have a real competent ball handler and floor general for the bench.

In the playoffs, we should have either Jrue or White on the floor at all times, so I don't view PG as a need. PF/C is our weak spot
Sure that is a bigger need, but I don't really trust White with ball handling and Jrue is not an elite ball handler or play maker either (and obviously PP isn't either). The team doesn't have that guy. It is a need. Lesser than the PF/C, but still a need

White is the guy I trust most to run the offense , more than anyone we've had in the past several years.

Holliday also ran the Bucks offense in their title run. I'm not sure you can find a better two way back court in the NBA

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2024, 08:32:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I would also prefer a PF/C. But if I had to guess, they will probably get Osman. The C's and Spurs seem to have a good relationship when it comes to trades. Plus Brad Stevens and the C's seem to be tight-lipped about this kind of stuff and while there's been a lot of talk about Bey, Konchar, etc. there hasn't been too much on Osman. Feels like they'll quietly get him for two future 2nds and fit him in with the TPE.

Fontecchio is an intriguing option but I think Utah loves him and would prefer to keep him.

I know people hate him but I'd consider Drummond too. Very cheap, has had a great stretch lately btw, and could definitely be a solid 3rd/4th C who gives us 10-ish minutes and provides insurance/depth. I do think the C's need another big combo-forward or center to body up against Giannis/Embiid/Turner/Bam, etc. and truthfully I'm not sure Kornet/Queta are capable. G-Will had his flaws and regressed in 2023 but he did provide that nicely in the last two postseason runs.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2024, 08:53:44 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I would also prefer a PF/C. But if I had to guess, they will probably get Osman. The C's and Spurs seem to have a good relationship when it comes to trades. Plus Brad Stevens and the C's seem to be tight-lipped about this kind of stuff and while there's been a lot of talk about Bey, Konchar, etc. there hasn't been too much on Osman. Feels like they'll quietly get him for two future 2nds and fit him in with the TPE.

Fontecchio is an intriguing option but I think Utah loves him and would prefer to keep him.

I know people hate him but I'd consider Drummond too. Very cheap, has had a great stretch lately btw, and could definitely be a solid 3rd/4th C who gives us 10-ish minutes and provides insurance/depth. I do think the C's need another big combo-forward or center to body up against Giannis/Embiid/Turner/Bam, etc. and truthfully I'm not sure Kornet/Queta are capable. G-Will had his flaws and regressed in 2023 but he did provide that nicely in the last two postseason runs.

I can't see the Jazz trading Fontecchio either. They have almost literally zero good wings, he's the closest thing to a three they have.

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2024, 11:54:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Boston needs a PF/C player the most.  Honestly I think the next need is a true PG.  It'd be nice to have a real competent ball handler and floor general for the bench.

In the playoffs, we should have either Jrue or White on the floor at all times, so I don't view PG as a need. PF/C is our weak spot
Sure that is a bigger need, but I don't really trust White with ball handling and Jrue is not an elite ball handler or play maker either (and obviously PP isn't either). The team doesn't have that guy. It is a need. Lesser than the PF/C, but still a need

White is the guy I trust most to run the offense , more than anyone we've had in the past several years.

Holliday also ran the Bucks offense in their title run. I'm not sure you can find a better two way back court in the NBA
Holiday's turnover % is 14,  which is actually below his career average of 15.2.  That is bad. Like really bad. And his assist percentage is way down to 18.3 from a career average over 30.  Jrue never took care of the ball well and is clearly on the downswing.

White's TOV% is better at 10.9, but that is 4th worst on the team among rotation players (jrue, al, and kornet).  His AST% isn't all that good at 20.5.  Now I get the team runs through Tatum and Brown, but there are going to be situations when the team needs a real ball handler and floor general.  Even if it is just a couple of possessions a game, in the playoffs that can mean advancing verse not advancing.  Boston needs elite situational players on its bench and the team has no truly credible ball handlers.  They could use one of those.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2024, 08:02:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Fully agree. Can get him without giving up a lot (or anything, in case of a buyout).

Brad is starting to irritate me with his inaction. I still believe this is the year to go "all-in". After this season, he will have to deal with resigning Holiday and White. You know he watched the LAL game.

« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2024, 09:19:08 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I would like to know if we made a play for Adams. Oladipo and 3 second rounders is scraps for a player like that.

He is exactly what we need, size and strength. We are getting dominated on the glass, and any team with size has had their way with us.

I would have traded Horford and Pritchard(or similar) for him with some seconds

« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2024, 09:28:31 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I would like to know if we made a play for Adams. Oladipo and 3 second rounders is scraps for a player like that.

He is exactly what we need, size and strength. We are getting dominated on the glass, and any team with size has had their way with us.

He's out until next year. Not the type of player we need to compete.

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2024, 09:29:06 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Few things...

-Jrue seems to be in a rut. Turns the ball over. Doesn't seem confident right now at both ends.
-KP has to start getting his butt in the post and taking smaller guys.
-The rebounding has been putrid lately. Teams getting 2 or 3 shots per possession.
-Not sure when the last time was the Cs won a 50/50 ball.

Effort mainly by the starters is p--- poor.

As for the bench....still need a 6'8-6'10 guy that has some beef and they need someone off the bench that can play with some size. Hauser is fine. PP is ok but he has too quick a trigger from 3. Al is Al.

Kornet and Queta are not playoff rotation guys. Brissett is just energy but he is small. The rest of the bench is not worth mentioning.

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2024, 10:37:05 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

That would be a horrible move for us this year. We should be shoring up this year's team, not trading the 6th and 8th players in our rotation for someone that won't play this year. That would be wasting one of our best chances for winning 18
I'm bitter.

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2024, 11:07:40 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

That would be a horrible move for us this year. We should be shoring up this year's team, not trading the 6th and 8th players in our rotation for someone that won't play this year. That would be wasting one of our best chances for winning 18

Agreed and admittedly I wasn't aware he was hurt for the entire year.
I looked at the likely players available for trade and unfortunately none really improve our team, at least based on my feeling we need more size and strength.  The only player that sort of stuck out was PJ Tucker, he at least gives us some grit and physicality and has a okay contract.. but i don't envision the Clippers trying to help us improve.

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2024, 11:54:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Boston outrebounds opponents by just over 3 rebounds a game.  I don't understand this idea that we get killed on the glass.  Now opponents do get anout 0.5 more offensive rebounds a game, but that is easily explained since opponents shoot only 45.1% from the field while Boston shoots 47.7%, in fact Bostons ORB% is 24.8 while opponents are at 24.7%. So Boston is quite simply a better rebounding team than their opponents.  The only thing Boston does worse than their opponents is turn the ball over
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2024, 10:44:03 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Saw Jalen Smith mentioned in Brian Robbs article today. Would cost a 1st. I can't believe they would give up on him.

« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2024, 10:49:27 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Two future second round picks for either Andre Drummond or Nick Richards. Get it done.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2024, 10:54:01 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
1. Get a big
2. Would love to get Lonnie Walker

« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2024, 11:09:38 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Two future second round picks for either Andre Drummond or Nick Richards. Get it done.

Ugh no.  Just promote Queta and let Luke keep doing his thing.  Give me Simone instead.