Author Topic: Improve the bench  (Read 14587 times)

Improve the bench
« on: January 24, 2024, 01:05:14 AM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
Two small trades and fully sign one of our two-way players would make a huge change to our team.  These three things help us this year plus in the up coming years. 

Trade One
Celtics - Luke Kornet, Svi Mykhailiuk, Two 2nd rounders
Hornets - Nick Richard

Hornets are in rebuild more with now trading Rozier so draft capital they're looking for.  Honestly if they wanted our first this year instead of two seconds I do it still.  Richard is sign for 2 more years after this, younger, better rebounder and roll to the backet player.  Plus could be in a trade next year.

Trade Two
Celtics - Two 2nd rounders
Grizzlies - John Konchar

Grizzles looking for draft capital and we get to use our TPE.  Also by doing this Konchar is signed for 3 more years after this and could be pair after this year with a player like Pritchard to bring in a more expensive player if he doesn't work out.  Konchar also gives us another 2/3 which it seems we're always going to need.

Fully sign Neemias Queta.  Yes, he's not the most refined player but when he's playing he's energetic, boards and plays defense.  Celtics sign him to a two or three year deal and he becomes a valuable backup for us.  Come playoffs the game can slow down and having a young big can come in handy specially with Horford and Porzingis needing to keep minutes down during the season.

This also gives us the ability to keep Pritchard.  Honestly I'm not a huge fan of him so I'd be willing to package him in deals but he might be worth more in the offseason. 

Who are some of your not well known players you'd like the Celtics to trade for and think they could help win. 

Re: Improve the bench
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 07:45:16 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I say the Celtics will wait for buyout candidates instead of a trade
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 08:18:29 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This.  I'd like to nab Thaddeus Young if Indy lets him go.  Experienced vet who can bolster the frontcourt where the most help is needed.

I've been critical of Luke Kornet but have to admit he has been playing better lately and apparently, he's a great lock room guy.  Don't upset the apple cart when you have the best record in the league.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 09:21:42 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Since we hit the 2nd apron we can only sign a guy that made under 12 million a year, is that correct?

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 11:37:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I'd definitely give up 2-3 second round picks for Nick Richards and fit him under the Grant TPE. Makes a lot of sense.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 12:14:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I'd definitely give up 2-3 second round picks for Nick Richards and fit him under the Grant TPE. Makes a lot of sense.

I'd do that if the Hornets would. I'm also interested in Kris Murray from Portland.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 01:21:50 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
ESPN had an article yesterday:  2024 NBA trade deadline: Complete Eastern Conference preview.

They think Naji Marshall is a great fit with the C's and have him costing the C's two seconds!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 01:26:25 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
People keep mentioning PP is too small, which brings me back to Caruso.

Trade PP, Svi, Banton, and Stevens for Caruso and Julian Phillips. Hard to do a 4 for 2. But this is where again the Jevon Carter for the TPE works. Makes it more like a 4 for 3 trade and also Carter as reserve/emergency PG makes more sense with PP gone.

Could also try to involve Memphis and flip Svi for Konchar.  Would also need to make Queta a regular contract guy.

6. HORFORD
7. Caruso
8. Hauser
9. Brissett
10. Luke
11. Carter
12. Konchar
13. Queta
14. Walsh
15. Phillips

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 06:00:25 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23

I'd do that if the Hornets would. I'm also interested in Kris Murray from Portland.

They're in a rebuild mode so I believe two seconds would do it, even three honestly if needed.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 06:12:49 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
People keep mentioning PP is too small, which brings me back to Caruso.

Trade PP, Svi, Banton, and Stevens for Caruso and Julian Phillips. Hard to do a 4 for 2. But this is where again the Jevon Carter for the TPE works. Makes it more like a 4 for 3 trade and also Carter as reserve/emergency PG makes more sense with PP gone.

Could also try to involve Memphis and flip Svi for Konchar.  Would also need to make Queta a regular contract guy.

6. HORFORD
7. Caruso
8. Hauser
9. Brissett
10. Luke
11. Carter
12. Konchar
13. Queta
14. Walsh
15. Phillips

Other than Pritchard out and Caruso in, all this trade does is shuffle deck chairs for roster spots 11-15.  I see no need to do this.

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 07:42:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Derrick Favors is playing against the Red Claws tonight.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2024, 08:21:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Two small trades and fully sign one of our two-way players would make a huge change to our team.  These three things help us this year plus in the up coming years. 

Trade One
Celtics - Luke Kornet, Svi Mykhailiuk, Two 2nd rounders
Hornets - Nick Richard

Hornets are in rebuild more with now trading Rozier so draft capital they're looking for.  Honestly if they wanted our first this year instead of two seconds I do it still.  Richard is sign for 2 more years after this, younger, better rebounder and roll to the backet player.  Plus could be in a trade next year.

Trade Two
Celtics - Two 2nd rounders
Grizzlies - John Konchar

Grizzles looking for draft capital and we get to use our TPE.  Also by doing this Konchar is signed for 3 more years after this and could be pair after this year with a player like Pritchard to bring in a more expensive player if he doesn't work out.  Konchar also gives us another 2/3 which it seems we're always going to need.

Fully sign Neemias Queta.  Yes, he's not the most refined player but when he's playing he's energetic, boards and plays defense.  Celtics sign him to a two or three year deal and he becomes a valuable backup for us.  Come playoffs the game can slow down and having a young big can come in handy specially with Horford and Porzingis needing to keep minutes down during the season.

This also gives us the ability to keep Pritchard.  Honestly I'm not a huge fan of him so I'd be willing to package him in deals but he might be worth more in the offseason. 

Who are some of your not well known players you'd like the Celtics to trade for and think they could help win.

Is Richard an upgrade over Kornet? I have my doubts.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2024, 08:50:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Konchar's offense is so bad that I'd imagine he's a net negative.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 08:55:04 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Konchar's offense is so bad that I'd imagine he's a net negative.

It’s certainly hard to imagine how he could be an upgrade over Brissett, and at 3 more years guaranteed at that.  He makes more sense if we got a pick to take him on.

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2024, 03:54:56 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Since we hit the 2nd apron we can only sign a guy that made under 12 million a year, is that correct?

This is correct. $12.4m to be exact, which is the NTMLE.

The Celtics have a $6.2 million trade exception they can use, but the buyout market will be tricky because they have eclipsed the second apron. Those faithful who have delusions of chasing a high-end player who will be bought out will be disappointed, because the Celtics can only add buyout players who previously earned the $12.4 million mid-level exception or below.

That means Stevens will have to be creative if he feels the Celtics need an addition. He will assess whether he is willing to sacrifice perhaps even another first-round pick.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/01/23/sports/celtics-bucks-heat-rozier-griffin-nba-trade-deadline/?p1=HP_Feed_Recommended

Incidentally we are one of five teams over the second apron, to whom this restriction applies. Many more roster building restrictions come in if we are over the second apron next season.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D