Poll

Which C's will make Team USA’s 2019 FIBA World Cup roster? (pick up to 4)

Jaylen Brown
57 (20.7%)
Marcus Smart
52 (18.9%)
Jayson Tatum
81 (29.5%)
Kemba Walker
85 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: FIBA World Cup [USA vs. TUR: 9/3, 8:30 AM EST (ESPN+)]  (Read 108114 times)

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
https://www.lineups.com/articles/team-usa-roster-for-2019-fiba-basketball-world-cup/

Players Participating In U.S. Training Camp
Jul 30, 2019, 7:08pm

Here are the 17 players that are confirmed to take part in the Team USA training camp:

Kemba Walker, Boston Celtics: Walker is coming off of his best season yet as the former Hornet was named to the All-NBA Third team while also being named to his third straight All-Star game. Walker also averaged career-high numbers this season in points per game and rebounds per game. Walker should not only be considered a lock for Team USA but he should also be viewed as a likely starter.

Jaylen Brown, Boston Celtics: Brown saw his numbers slightly dip this season as a result of his playtime going down. The 22-year-old continues to show promise and could see his role expand this season as Boston deals with the loss of Kyrie Irving and Al Horford. Brown was a late add due to so many players declining their invitation.

Donovan Mitchell, Utah Jazz: Mitchell has only been in the league for two seasons but he’s already made a big impact. He’s become the go-to-guy for the Utah Jazz and has led the team in scoring in both of his first two seasons. Mitchell improved his scoring, rebounding and assists numbers from his first season while maintaining or improving his shooting percentage from the previous season. Mitchell should be a Team USA roster lock.

Mason Plumlee, Denver Nuggets: Plumlee was a late addition to the training camp roster but he does have a significant advantage over other players due to the fact that he was a participant on the 2014 U.S. team that won gold. With so many names declining invites, his experience could be an important factor come roster decision time.

Julius Randle, New York Knicks: In his first and only season with the Pelicans, Randle averaged a career-high 21.4 points per game while shooting over 52 percent from the field. Randle was a late addition to the training camp roster.

Marcus Smart, Boston Celtics: Smart is another player who was a late addition to the Team USA roster but given that he is likely the best defender among the guards he should have a great chance at making the roster. Smart was named to the 2014 and 2016 U.S. Select teams.

Thaddeus Young, Chicago Bulls: Young is one of the more veteran players on the training camp roster and he was a late addition to the roster as well.

Harrison Barnes, Sacramento Kings: Barnes was named to the roster from day one and he does have experience playing for Team USA. Barnes played for the U.S. in the 2016 Olympics as well as being apart of the Select Team in 2014. Barnes will likely be on the team’s final roster.

Andre Drummond, Detroit Pistons: Drummond, like Plumlee, was a member of the 2014 U.S. team that won gold at the FIBA World Cup. His experience is a plus and the coaching staff could value his rebounding.

Kyle Kuzma, Los Angeles Lakers: Kuzma is coming off of his second season in the NBA after averaging 18.6 points per game this season. He doesn’t have any experience playing for Team USA but he was among the original invitees.

Brook Lopez, Milwaukee Bucks: Lopez is one of the more interesting names as Team USA could certainly use a center who is coming off a season in which he shot over 36 percent from three.

Kyle Lowry, Toronto Raptors: Lowry had surgery on his thumb recently but he should be ready to go for the U.S. training camp. He won an NBA championship this season and was a member of the 2016 U.S. Olympic team. As long as he’s healthy he should be a lock for the final roster.

Khris Middleton, Milwaukee Bucks: Middleton is arguably one of the best players on the team and he’s coming off of his first All-Star season. Middleton should be viewed as a lock.

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics: Tatum is one of four Boston Celtics on the Team USA training camp roster and he is also one of the youngest players on the team. Tatum is only 21-years-old and has played for the U.S. U17 and U19 teams, both times winning gold.

P.J. Tucker, Houston Rockets: Tucker might not be one of the biggest names on the roster but the U.S. could always value a player who shoots over 37 percent from three and is an outstanding defender.

Myles Turner, Indiana Pacers: Turner is another intriguing name on the Team USA roster as the four-year veteran has already established himself as a great defender. This past season Turner shot almost 39 percent from three.

Bam Adebayo, Miami Heat: Adebayo was the last player added to the roster but his athleticism and size could prove valuable in international competition. Even if he doesn’t make the final roster the experience alone should be huge for Adebayo.

Players on the Select Team

Jarrett Allen, Brooklyn Nets

Marvin Bagley III, Sacramento Kings

Mikal Bridges, Phoenix Suns

Jalen Brunson, Dallas Mavericks

John Collins, Atlanta Hawks

Pat Connaughton, Milwaukee Bucks

De’Aaron Fox, Sacramento Kings

Joe Harris, Brooklyn Nets

Jonathan Isaac, Orlando Magic

Mitchell Robinson, New York Knicks

Landry Shamet, Los Angeles Clippers

Derrick White, San Antonio Spurs

Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks

The Select team has some talented, young players so don’t be surprised if one or two guys end up being named to the final roster.

This year’s Team USA won’t have the star power or big names that fans have come to expect but it will still field a talented team. Even with the loss of several big names, expectations will not change for the U.S., they are the best team in the tournament and will be expected to win the gold.

Team USA’s FIBA World Cup Schedule

The U.S. training camp takes place from August 5 to the ninth and concludes with an intra-squad exhibition. The Blue-White exhibition is scheduled to take place at 10 p.m. (EST). That game will include the select team as well.

The U.S. team will play an exhibition game vs Spain on August 16 and will announce the finalized roster for the FIBA World Cup on August 17. After that, the U.S. team will play exhibitions vs Australia and Canada with the matchups vs Australia taking place on August 22 and 24. The exhibition vs Canada is scheduled for August 26.

The FIBA World Cup runs from August 31 to September 15. The U.S. plays the Czech Republic on September 1, Turkey on September 3, and Japan on September 5.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I hope they all make it and get a chance to bond and promote basketball. I'd even like to see the C's send players and coaches along out there as a promotion and even more team bonding. Similar to the 07 team tour.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Pistons center Andre Drummond, who played on the 2014 squad that won the Worlds in Spain, has withdrawn from the training camp that begins Monday in Las Vegas

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1156974934033195008?s=21

Memphis Grizzlies forward Jaren Jackson Jr. has been added to USA Basketball's Select Team for FIBA World Cup training camp.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1156958961586909184?s=21

Clippers G Landry Shamet has withdrawn from USA Basketball Select Team camp, agent @GeorgeLangberg tells ESPN. “He was appreciative of the opportunity and hopes to be part of USAB again in future,” Langberg tells ESPN. Shamet's preparing for what could be deep LAC playoff run.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1157313458163068928?s=21
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 02:34:17 PM by rondofan1255 »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
All four should be, but won't be for political reasons. Probably, Walker and Tatum will make the team. 

Then there's Poirier and Theis for the French and German teams, too! ;)

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Randle withdrew, training camp roster at 15 for now...

Julius Randle has withdrawn from Team USA training camp due to a family issue. The Nuggets’ Torrey Craig has been added to the Select Team to replace Landry Shamet. Players report tomorrow in Vegas.

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/1157658252097859590

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-tacko-fall-senegal-national-team-20190802-zqybdbpzrvhilnpwo6ltjaehwa-story.html

Celtics rookie Tacko Fall earns spot on Senegal national team roster
By ROY PARRY
ORLANDO SENTINEL
AUG 02, 2019 | 4:10 PM

The Boston Celtics rookie center and former UCF standout has been named to the 24-man preliminary roster for the Senegal national team.

At a minimum, Fall will be a part of the team’s training camp as it prepares for the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019. Senegal is bracketed with Canada, Lithuania and Australia in Group H. The roster eventually will be trimmed to 12 after the final cuts are made.

Senegal will begin preparing for World Cup play with an Aug. 12 warm-up game against Turkey. Senegal qualified for its second straight FIBA Basketball World Cup after posting a 10-2 mark in the African Qualifiers.

The preliminary roster also includes Minnesota Timberwolves center Gorgui Dieng as well as 7-foot-3 big man Youssoupha Fall (no relation to Tacko) and promising young players Amar Sylla (17) and Birame Faye (19). Youssoupha Fall averaged 14.5 points last season with SIG Strasbourg in France’s Pro A.

If Tacko Fall (7-7) and Youssoupha Fall make the final cut, they would make Senegal one of the tallest teams in the 32-team World Cup field.

Fall recently signed an Exhibit 10 contract with the Celtics and will have a chance to earn a roster spot out of training camp. He turned in an impressive NBA Summer League as he showed off more agility and athleticism than he did at UCF. Fall quickly became a fan favorite, sparking chants of “We want Tacko” any time he was not on the floor during summer-league games.

Fall averaged 7.2 points on 77.3% field-goal shooting, 4.0 rebounds and 1.4 blocked shots during five summer-league games.

Celtics coach Brad Stevens spoke highly of Fall during summer-league play.

“First of all, I think he’s a good basketball player, but I can’t tell you how impressed I’ve been with his humility and self-awareness,” Stevens told ESPN’s Doris Burke during a July 10 game. “Everybody is staring at him when he walks in the building. He walked in, and all of the ESPN cameras are just running right to him and he’s not even a drafted guy. He just has a tremendous way about it.”

Stevens later added, “He’s a really enjoyable person to talk to. I can’t say enough great things about him as a kid, and I hope that he gets a chance to continue to be a kid and enjoy this process.”

Fall grew up in Dakar, Senegal, and moved to the United States with the hope his natural athleticism and height would help him earn a college scholarship and potentially play pro basketball.

After a few stops, he thrived at Liberty Christian Prep in Tavares. He signed with UCF and improved steadily each year despite not playing organized basketball until high school.

He averaged 10.1 points, 7.7 rebounds and 2.4 blocks during 115 games at UCF, earning American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors. Despite some injuries, he helped UCF reach the NIT Final Four and earn an NCAA Tournament win. Both were first-time accomplishments for the Knights.

2019 FIBA World Cup
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2019, 11:08:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
It seems possible that the C's are gonna be represented by 8 players in the upcoming FIBA World Cup, hence I decided to make a thread about it.

USA: Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Smart
France: Poirier
Germany: Theis
Nigeria: Semi (he's on the 44-man preliminary list)
Senegal: Tacko*

*alongside his brother(?) Youssoupha Fall who is just 7'3.75'' ;D

The US 16-man preliminary roster:
(at least 4 of them aren't gonna make the cut)

PG: Kemba, Lowry, Fox, Smart
SG: Mitchell, Brown
SF: Middleton, Tatum, Barnes
PF: Kuzma, Thad Young, PJ Tucker
C: Brook Lopez, Turner, Adebayo, Plumlee

With that many star players withdrawing from the roster, the situation reminds me of the 2002 World Cup in Indianapolis when the US finished 6th. Don't get me wrong, they are obviously the favorites, but there are plenty of good teams which could give them a run for their money.

Serbia: Jokic, Bogdan Bogdanovic (the one playing for the Kings), Bjelica, Marjanovic, Teodosic
Spain: Marc Gasol, Rubio, the Hernangomez brothers
Greece: Giannis + plenty of good players at the Euroleague level. Thing is, only one of them (Sloukas) is a knockdown shooter.
France: Gobert, Fournier, Batum, Ntilikina

Lithuania, Canada, Australia aren't half bad either.

I guess it's gonna be a fun tournament. The US haven't lost a single game since the semi final against Greece, back in 2006. The way I see it, they look beatable once again.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:08:15 AM by Jvalin »

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2019, 11:12:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I reckon Serbia could pose a legit problem to the US. Hopefully Australia too!

*alongside his brother(?) Youssoupha Fall who is just 7 ft 3.75 ;D
Runt of the litter eh?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 11:52:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is it just me or do Americans not care a hoot about FIBA World Cup? If USA basketball cared about any competition outside the NBA, other than the Olympics, they would send their best to win it and they would win every tournament.

But USA basketball doesn't care about much other than the Olympics when it comes to national tournaments and I think the fandom has very similar feelings. I just don't think the average American NBA fan gives a dang about the very contrively named FIBA World Cup. It's a knockoff version of the FIFA World Cup and I just don't think the prestige crosses over. In basketball, true prestige comes from being an NBA or Olympic champion, at least in the eyes of most American fans. The World Cup? Not so much.

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2019, 12:15:40 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Is it just me or do Americans not care a hoot about FIBA World Cup? If USA basketball cared about any competition outside the NBA, other than the Olympics, they would send their best to win it and they would win every tournament.

But USA basketball doesn't care about much other than the Olympics when it comes to national tournaments and I think the fandom has very similar feelings. I just don't think the average American NBA fan gives a dang about the very contrively named FIBA World Cup. It's a knockoff version of the FIFA World Cup and I just don't think the prestige crosses over. In basketball, true prestige comes from being an NBA or Olympic champion, at least in the eyes of most American fans. The World Cup? Not so much.
Yeah, I know. :( It's a big thing in several countries here in Europe though (Lithuania, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Serbia to name a few).

According to Giannis, ''I would exchange the MVP title for the gold medal in China''.

As far as I know, basketball is the #1 sport in Philippines and it is growing in popularity in China. Not sure what's going on in the rest of the world (rest of Asia, Latin America, Africa, Australia, New Zealand).

Btw, Kemba is killing it in practice. It looks like him and Mitchell are gonna be the go-to guys for the US.

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1158477116721287169
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:10:47 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2019, 02:09:15 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Greece doesn't have enough long range firepower to help Giannis. Sloukas did have a great season but he is tge only one you can count on making a 3p. Calathes and Bourousis  are unpredictable. I think Greece will be better than the last couple of tournaments but not on the same level as Serbia and Spain. Having Giannis gives you hopes though

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2019, 02:58:01 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Yeah, I know. :( It's a big thing in several countries here in Europe though (Lithuania, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Serbia to name a few).

According to Giannis, ''I would exchange the MVP title for the gold medal in China''.

As far as I know, basketball is the #1 sport in Philippines and it is growing in popularity in China. Not sure what's going on in the rest of the world (rest of Asia, Latin America, Africa, Australia, New Zealand).

Btw, Kemba is killing it in practice. It looks like him and Mitchell are gonna be the go-to guys for the US.

Japan is starting to get into basketball now with Rui Hachimura and Yuta Watanabe on the NBA. Although they have been promoting basketball in other mediums like manga and anime since long time ago.

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2019, 04:06:21 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Japan is starting to get into basketball now with Rui Hachimura and Yuta Watanabe on the NBA. Although they have been promoting basketball in other mediums like manga and anime since long time ago.
Slam Dunk is still by far and away the best Japanese manga/light novel about basketball imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2019, 04:29:52 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16

I'm pretty sure basketball is now the second most popular sport in New Zealand schools.

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2019, 06:57:34 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Slam Dunk is still by far and away the best Japanese manga/light novel about basketball imo.

True