Author Topic: 76ers (1-3) at Celtics (3-1) Round 2 Game 5 5/9/18  (Read 80688 times)

76ers (1-3) at Celtics (3-1) Round 2 Game 5 5/9/18
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:30:55 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Philadelphia 76ers (1-3)  at  Boston Celtics (3-1)
Post Season Game #12, Home Game #7
Wednesday, May 9, 2018
8:00 PM ET
TV:  TNT
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 97.5 The Fanatic,  ESPN Radio
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
  vs 
Terry Rozier vs Ben Simmons

Shooting Guard

vs
Marcus Smart vs JJ Redick

Small Forward
vs
Jayson Tatum vs TJ McConnell

Poward Forward
vs
Al Horford vs Dario Saric

Center
vs
Aron Baynes vs Joel Embiid

Celtics Reserves
Semi Ojeleye
Abdel Nader
Guerschon Yabusele
Marcus Morris
Greg Monroe
Jaylen Brown

Injuries
Gordon Hayward (ankle)  out
Daniel Theis  (knee)  out
Kyrie Irving (knee) out 
Shane Larkin  (shoulder) out

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Sixers Reserves
Justin Anderson
Jerryd Bayless
Marco Belinelli
Timothe Luwawu Cabarrot
Robert Covington
Amir Johnson
Markelle Fultz
Richaun Holmes
Ersan Ilyasova
Furkan Korkmaz

Injuries
None Listed

Coach
Brett Brown

Game Notes
The Celtics were unable to finish the Sixers off in Game 4 in Philly and so the series shifts back to Boston for another close out opportunity.  The Celtics haven't lost a game at the Garden in these playoffs and they need to keep that trend going.  The Celtics gave the Sixers a bit of confidence in game 4 and they need to come out strong in this one and wipe every bit of that confidence out. 

Brett Brown made an adjustment by inserting TJ McConnell into the starting lineup in place of Robert Covington.  The Sixers also went inside more and shot fewer 3 pointers.  Brad Stevens will need to make adjustments to counter those moves.  The Celtics have shut down the Sixers on the perimeter but now they need to keep them out of the paint as well. 

I'm listing the same starters as have started the first 4 games for the Celtics but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jaylen Brown back in the starting lineup if his hamstring is healed enough.  Larkin's injury leaves the Celtics with just Rozier and Smart at the point and Brad may want to bring Smart off the bench to back up at point.    I'm assuming that the Sixers will go with the same starters that they did in Game 4 since it worked out pretty well for them in that game. 

Shane Larkin hit a very hard pick set by Joel Embiid in Game 4 and left the game with a shoulder injury.  He was scheduled for tests on Tuesday and has been diagnosed with a sprained shoulder.  He is listed as out for this game and possibly the foreseeable future as well.    The Sixers still have no injuries listed.  Marcus Smart came up shaking his surgically repaired thumb at one point but returned to the game and should be fine for this one. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Terry Rozier vs Ben Simmons
Rozier will likely not be covering Simmons.  Al Horford and Marcus Morris mostly have tried to keep Simmons in check.  Rozier will likely shift over to guard  TJ McConnell who had a big game in Game 4 and also held Rozier to just 11 points.   He needs to play much better on both ends of the court in this game.

vs
Aron Baynes vs Joel Embiid
Aron Baynes has done a good job of frustrating Joel Embiid so far.    He has ended up tired by the end of games after having to fight Baynes for everything he gets inside.  He had 15 points and 12 rebounds in Game 4 and did a whole lot of trash talking. 

Honorable Mention
Al Horford vs Dario Saric
Saric had a big Game 4 with 25 points, 8 rebounds, and 4 assists.  He is averaging 16 points, 7 rebounds, and 3.4 assists.  Whether is it Al or Marcus Smart or Marcus Morris or Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum who guards him,  they have to do a better job of staying with him as he has been a big factor and underrated for the Sixers in this series.

Also Worth Mentioning
Celtics Bench vs Sixers Bench
The Celtics bench took another hit with Larkin going out with a shoulder injury.  Once again, it is next man up.   In spite of having Larkin for just 1 minute in Game 4, the Celtics reserves out scored the Sixers reserves 28-18.  The Celtics need each player who comes in off the bench to contribute on both ends of the court. 

Keys to the Game
Defense
-   Defense wins Championships, no doubt about it.  The Celtics must play tough defense and limit the Sixers scoring if they want to win.  They have done a good job of limiting their 3 point shooters.  In Game 4, the Sixers made an effort to go inside more and the Celtics allowed way too many layups and easy shots inside.  They have to play better defense both inside and out in this game.   

Rebound - The Celtics need to crash the boards as so far they have been out-rebounded by the Sixers.   The Sixers are first in the playoffs with 49.3 rebounds per game while the Celtics are 9th with 42.8 rebounds per game. The Celtics have been out-rebounded 148-127 so far in the series.   In Game 4, they outrebounded the Celtics by 11 and 16-6 on the offensive end.  The Sixers are first in the playoffs with 15.9 second chance points per game.  The Celtics have to work very hard to beat the Sixers to rebounds to avoid giving them extra points on second chance baskets.

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics have to be the more aggressive team and go after all the loose balls, and aggressively go after rebounds, and be aggressive on defense. They also have to be aggressive in taking the ball into the paint.  After the Celtics were whistled for 12 fouls in the second quarter to just 1 foul for the Sixers in the quarter, they played tentatively.  They weren't as aggressive in driving or on defense.  They have to stay aggressive and be the team that plays harder and wants it more the entire game. 

Move the Ball and Stay Focused - The Celtics need to move the ball.  They play best when they share the ball and find the open man. They had just 16 assists in Game 4 while the Sixers had 24 assists.  When the Celtics try to do too much individually, it rarely works out well.  They also have to stay focused and take their time and not rush their shots or go away from the game plan.  No Hero Ball!!!  Play as a team on both ends of the court.

Take Care of the Ball
-  In Game 4, the Celtics turned the ball over 15 times to just 8 for the Sixers.  They have to move the ball, but they also have to make careful passes and not get careless when they handle the ball.  The Sixers had a 16-3 advantage in points off turnovers.  The Celtics have to be careful with their passes and dribbling and not give the Sixers extra possessions by turning the ball over.

Play Hard 48 Minutes
-  The Sixers will come in with some confidence from their win in Game 4. They are going to come out and play hard and try to get a jump on the Celtics as they did in Game 2 when they got off to a 22 point lead.  The Celtics can't allow that to happen.  They have to come out playing hard and not let the Sixers get anything going and they have to play hard right up until the final buzzer. 

X-Factors
Home Game - So far, the Celtics have won their home games and will once again need to get a boost from the loud home crowd.  Young players often are rattled on the road and the Celtics faithful in the crowd need to make sure they are loud and keep the pressure on the Sixers young players. 

Confidence Factor - The Celtics allowed the Sixers to gain some confidence with their play in Game 4.  They now have a win and will come into this game thinking they can get another one.  The Celtics need to keep the Sixers from getting any momentum in this game and they have to crush any confidence they may have coming in.  If the Sixers get a win in this game, their confidence will be sky high and who knows what will happen as they go back to Philly for Game 5. 

Officiating - The officiating is always an X-Factor.  After watching Scott Foster and Tony Brothers work in Game 4, there should be no doubt that the officiating can change a series.  In the 2nd quarter of Game 4, the Celtics were called for 12 fouls while the Sixers were called for just 1.  They let the Sixers be much more physical but called the Celtics for minor contact. The Celtics went into half time with 4 players in foul trouble.  The Celtics were tentative the rest of the game as they tried to avoid further foul trouble.   Hopefully the Celtics will get more of a fair shake in this game.   
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:52:20 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: 76ers (1-3) at Celtics (3-1) Round 2 Game 5 5/9/18
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 10:31:37 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Giddy up, let's do this!

I'm hoping for a mocking "Trust the Process" chant as the C's blowout the Sixers.

If the C's win, I'm interested to see how Embiid handles it.  Does he whine and storm off the court without shaking hands, or will he show class and congratulate the C's? 

I know I got some respect back for the Wizards last year after I saw them congratulating the C's, even going as far as interrupting Olynyk's post game interview to congratulate him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8xKr6MMVU
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:37:12 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 10:31:50 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to bdm860   for being the first to post in the game thread.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:32:01 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Let's get this one! Go Cs and TP FLC for the good luck thread!  ;D

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:32:06 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Go Celts!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 10:34:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let's go Celtics. Let's go Garden!!!

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 10:35:39 PM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 89
Giddy up, let's do this!

I'm hoping for a mocking "Trust the Process" chant as the C's blowout the Sixers.

If the refs call it fair, we will get the win.  I don't trust the crooked NBA.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 11:04:21 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Baynes to go 2/3 from three...

I'll get one of these right eventually.

P.S. I don't love having Marcus and Terry on the floor at the same time. Just my two cents..
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:15:14 PM by trickybilly »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 11:05:59 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
4-1 let's gooooooooooooo
#JKJB

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 11:15:20 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
WE NEED TO WIN THIS GAME. GO OUT AND KILL THE 76ERS.

Treat this game like a Game 7, or we will have an actual Game 7.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 11:17:36 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
This is what I picked at the beginning of the series: Celtics in 5!

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 11:17:36 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Giddy up, let's do this!

If the C's win, I'm interested to see how Embiid handles it.  Does he whine and storm off the court without shaking hands, or will he show class and congratulate the C's? 

I know I got some respect back for the Wizards last year after I saw them congratulating the C's, even going as far as interrupting Olynyk's post game interview to congratulate him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8xKr6MMVU

The Wizards were aggressive and they know how the postseason works.

The 76ers are immature. Joel Embiid will just blame it on officiating or how bad he performed, not praising the Celtics for their performance.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 11:49:09 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Let's go C's! Anyone else get injured, put Brad in short shorts!
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 03:41:49 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I don't usually say this, but I want to see a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing beatdown.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 04:03:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't usually say this, but I want to see a ****ing beatdown.
Amen
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)