Author Topic: ShamWow: Celtics + Cavs actively talking Kyrie/IT swap (UPDATE: Deal Done Did)  (Read 47783 times)

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2728976-isaiah-thomas-hip-injury-reportedly-was-significant-concern-for-celtics

And there it is:

Isaiah Thomas was forced to miss the final three games of May's Eastern Conference Finals with a hip injury. As it turns out, that ailment may have factored into the Boston Celtics' decision to trade him to the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday in exchange for Kyrie Irving.

According to ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman, the Celtics harbored "significant concern" about the state of Thomas' hip before shipping him to the Cavaliers along with Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and the Brooklyn Nets' 2018 first-round pick. 

Between this deal and Brad talking about IT potentially not being ready for training camp yesterday, I'm guessing IT's hip prognosis is not as good as he was reporting early in the summer.

If this is true, then it makes sense why it cost the Brooklyn pick in addition to the others.

The timing of all of this definitely does suggest that there's significant concern about his hip, and Cleveland is risking it because the Brooklyn pick is the main asset for them in the trade. They could very well end up punting this year if IT's hip flares up again.

That's the only explanation that makes sense. if the deal was really more like Jae+Brooklyn+Zizic then it's not as bad of a deal.  I'm still not the biggest fan of it, but I guess we'll have to see what Brad can get out of Irving defensively
I'm bitter.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
2-3 months ago, if you told me Danny would trade this years #1 pick, next years unprotected Brooklyn pick, IT, Crowder, and Bradley, this is not what I'd expect to get in return.

And when you tell me the return would be Irving, Morris, and Tatum, my only response would be "And?"  I would never guess that would be all the C's would get in return.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
I'm beery and like this trade.
Tomorrow I may feel different.

Does beer help make the trade look better?

I better check
I'm bitter.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
2-3 months ago, if you told me Danny would trade this years #1 pick, next years unprotected Brooklyn pick, IT, Crowder, and Bradley, this is not what I'd expect to get in return.

And when you tell me the return would be Irving, Morris, and Tatum, my only response would be "And?"  I would never guess that would be all the C's would get in return.

And the Lakers pick.

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
The only question that really matters is.... are the C's now championship ready?   And a follow-up question -- if C's aren't there, are they at least one step closer -- or one move away?

THE huge factor this season will be the development of JT, JB and MS.  These youth will determine whether there is a championship in the near future or there will be a decade of frustration.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

You can't talk about the return for the Bradley trade without mentioning Hayward (or at least the cap space to sign Hayward)
I'm bitter.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The only question that really matters is.... are the C's now championship ready?   And a follow-up question -- if C's aren't there, are they at least one step closer -- or one move away?

THE huge factor this season will be the development of JT, JB and MS.  These youth will determine whether there is a championship in the near future or there will be a decade of frustration.
Yeah, a lot is riding on those youngsters.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2728976-isaiah-thomas-hip-injury-reportedly-was-significant-concern-for-celtics

And there it is:

Isaiah Thomas was forced to miss the final three games of May's Eastern Conference Finals with a hip injury. As it turns out, that ailment may have factored into the Boston Celtics' decision to trade him to the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday in exchange for Kyrie Irving.

According to ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman, the Celtics harbored "significant concern" about the state of Thomas' hip before shipping him to the Cavaliers along with Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and the Brooklyn Nets' 2018 first-round pick. 

Between this deal and Brad talking about IT potentially not being ready for training camp yesterday, I'm guessing IT's hip prognosis is not as good as he was reporting early in the summer.

If this is true, then it makes sense why it cost the Brooklyn pick in addition to the others.

The timing of all of this definitely does suggest that there's significant concern about his hip, and Cleveland is risking it because the Brooklyn pick is the main asset for them in the trade. They could very well end up punting this year if IT's hip flares up again.

That's the only explanation that makes sense. if the deal was really more like Jae+Brooklyn+Zizic then it's not as bad of a deal.  I'm still not the biggest fan of it, but I guess we'll have to see what Brad can get out of Irving defensively

He was actually fairly impressive defensively during their title run in 2016. I think when he's engaged he can actually be an average to even an above average defender.

It'll be interesting to see how much a better environment (i.e. a Lebron-less environment) will do for his overall game. I think he should thrive under Stevens, and apparently he was one of the coaches he wanted to play for.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I better check
No because tomorrow you'll have a headache, be missing some beer, and this trade will still be horrible.
That said I'm drinking wine

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

And there it is:

As recently as a couple of days ago, there was talk that Thomas' hip will need to be reassessed in September. I think that he won't be ready for start of season, and this hip is a ticking time bomb anyhow. Hopefully he passes the physical.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ainge doesn't trade for an All Star: "Ainge over values his assets, he just wants to hoard picks and won't trade them for real players. Fire him!"

Ainge does trade for an All Star: "Ainge got fleeced, we should have kept our assets instead of trading them. Fire him!"

The key to this paradox is that it's usually different people behind each quote.

Usually.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

First question no, second question... maybe.  We now hav 2 definite long term building blocks on the team - Hayward and Irving - and the possibility of 3 more (Brown, Tatum, and LAL/SAC pick).  Objectively we're definitely closer this year than we were this time last year, idk if we're closer than we were yesterday, though (but it seems like we are)
I'm bitter.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
And a likely lottery pick in next year's draft.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Bradley perpetually injured .....IT is getting up in age and may eventually need hip surgery that is very hard to comeback from 100% ......he elimated two highly potential land mines in the quest to un throne GS

The next move is to lure ADavis ......mission accomplished

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

I better check
No because tomorrow you'll have a headache, be missing some beer, and this trade will still be horrible.
That said I'm drinking wine

That's why you chug water before you go to bed (like a liter of it). And then drink more when you inevitably wake up to pee because you drank a liter of water before bed
I'm bitter.