Author Topic: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(TIME TO REVEAL THE WINNER!!!)  (Read 195515 times)

Re: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(Round 2 underway, make your picks!!)
« Reply #450 on: August 23, 2019, 02:22:50 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Action781 exhales an hour-long deep sigh of relief...

And with the 2(9) pick the Utah Jazz selects Bill Walton.

Strong pick. Thought he might get forgotten

« Reply #451 on: August 23, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

I love Bill Walton. I couldn't put him next to Wilt but I was dreaming of Walton next to Bird or KG to begin the draft.

I thought Walton had one of the highest peaks of any player ever. He really should have been a first round pick. He was so dominant and played such a wonderful team-orientated style of play. He is absolutely perfect for this game.

Perhaps the most well rounded center to ever play this game.

Edit: Oh dang. I just realized you have Bird. Bird and Walton. The passing, floor spacing and team offense on that team is going to be incredible.

« Reply #452 on: August 23, 2019, 02:28:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Regarding Moses, something that should be mentioned is just how strong and powerful a human being he was. 6'10" 240-250 when at his best. Long, long arms. Few to none could move him off his position once he established it and he was so strong he established his position quite easily. And his knack at knowing where the ball was going to rebound it was almost on a Bill Russell and one other guy who I can't name's level. Moses was a beast
His finishing was incredible too, Moranis built a top offense with his two picks. Interesting to see how he will mitigate his defensive issues though.
So many great defensive players it really won't be that hard to supplement.  At the end of the day, modern basketball offense is significantly more important than defense to crafting a championship level team. 

Also, Moses isn't a bad defender (he isn't elite, but he can more than hold his own).  In 83 (probably the year I will use, but maybe not) he was even a 1st Team All Defense along with his near-unanimous regular season MVP, the Finals MVP, 1st Team All NBA, etc.  He led the league in rpg by nearly 3 rpg a game.  He was 5th in scoring that year, which was a step back from prior years as he joined the Sixers for the first time and seamlessly integrated with their other HOF players.  And it showed as the Sixers won 65 games and tore through the playoffs losing just 1 game as he coined fo, fo, fo, which became fo, fi, fo because of the actual results (that was the best playoff record in league history until the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and the Curry/Durant Warriors).  So Moses sacrificed his scoring for the good of the team and the team won the title.  That is exactly the type of player you want on this sort of team.

Moses was an absolute monster in the early 80's.  He started young (and in the ABA) and played forever so his career per game numbers don't quite stack up with many of the other all time greats, but those last couple of seasons in Houston and the first couple in Philadelphia you would be hard pressed to find someone better than Moses.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #453 on: August 23, 2019, 02:28:23 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

I love Bill Walton. I couldn't put him next to Wilt but I was dreaming of Walton next to Bird or KG to begin the draft.

I thought Walton had one of the highest peaks of any player ever. He really should have been a first round pick. He was so dominant and played such a wonderful team-orientated style of play. He is absolutely perfect for this game.

Edit: Oh dang. I just realized you have Bird. Bird and Walton. The passing, floor spacing and team offense on that team is going to be incredible.

He is right there with hakeem as far as dynamic bigmen.

Could really do it all.

Back at pick 11 i debated between tim, kobe and walton.

« Reply #454 on: August 23, 2019, 02:30:13 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Jordan, not Bird

Still the perfect frontcourt complement for Jordan IMO though
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #455 on: August 23, 2019, 02:30:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Jordan, not Bird

Ah sorry. Yes, Walton and MJ are perfect together.

« Reply #456 on: August 23, 2019, 02:31:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Walton never played more than 65 games in a season until he was a bench role player.  I have a hard time picking someone so highly that just couldn't stay healthy, especially someone who never even averaged 19 ppg in a season.  I know a lot of people really love Walton, but if you actually look at his stats and what he actually did, he just doesn't measure up.  It is obviously because of health as he has a ton of talent, but health absolutely matters. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #457 on: August 23, 2019, 02:31:57 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Regarding Moses, something that should be mentioned is just how strong and powerful a human being he was. 6'10" 240-250 when at his best. Long, long arms. Few to none could move him off his position once he established it and he was so strong he established his position quite easily. And his knack at knowing where the ball was going to rebound it was almost on a Bill Russell and one other guy who I can't name's level. Moses was a beast
His finishing was incredible too, Moranis built a top offense with his two picks. Interesting to see how he will mitigate his defensive issues though.
So many great defensive players it really won't be that hard to supplement.  At the end of the day, modern basketball offense is significantly more important than defense to crafting a championship level team. 

Also, Moses isn't a bad defender (he isn't elite, but he can more than hold his own).  In 83 (probably the year I will use, but maybe not) he was even a 1st Team All Defense along with his near-unanimous regular season MVP, the Finals MVP, 1st Team All NBA, etc.  He led the league in rpg by nearly 3 rpg a game.  He was 5th in scoring that year, which was a step back from prior years as he joined the Sixers for the first time and seamlessly integrated with their other HOF players.  And it showed as the Sixers won 65 games and tore through the playoffs losing just 1 game as he coined fo, fo, fo, which became fo, fi, fo because of the actual results (that was the best playoff record in league history until the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and the Curry/Durant Warriors).  So Moses sacrificed his scoring for the good of the team and the team won the title.  That is exactly the type of player you want on this sort of team.

Moses was an absolute monster in the early 80's.  He started young (and in the ABA) and played forever so his career per game numbers don't quite stack up with many of the other all time greats, but those last couple of seasons in Houston and the first couple in Philadelphia you would be hard pressed to find someone better than Moses.
Oh yeah for sure. Would think that any more than a couple of average defenders would be pretty dangerous when you're facing a team full of greats though. But as I said I liked the Moses pick.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #458 on: August 23, 2019, 02:33:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Walton never played more than 65 games in a season until he was a bench role player.  I have a hard time picking someone so highly that just couldn't stay healthy, especially someone who never even averaged 19 ppg in a season.  I know a lot of people really love Walton, but if you actually look at his stats and what he actually did, he just doesn't measure up.  It is obviously because of health as he has a ton of talent, but health absolutely matters.

Similar boat as Kawhi. 60 game regular season + full postseason.

« Reply #459 on: August 23, 2019, 02:36:08 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
With the 2(10) pick the Dallas Mavericks select... Julius "Dr.J" Erving!
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #460 on: August 23, 2019, 02:38:01 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

I thought 3rd round but 4th for sure.

« Reply #461 on: August 23, 2019, 02:38:37 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
With the 2(10) pick the Dallas Mavericks select... Julius "Dr.J" Erving!

Bout time someone took him

« Reply #462 on: August 23, 2019, 02:40:03 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Jordan, not Bird

Ah sorry. Yes, Walton and MJ are perfect together.

I feel like jodan walton versus hakeem kobe would be a battle for the ages.

Jodan > Kobe
Hakeem > Walton.

« Reply #463 on: August 23, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
With 2(11) the Celtics select the Admiral, David Robinson
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #464 on: August 23, 2019, 02:44:50 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
With 2(11) the Celtics select the Admiral, David Robinson

Earlier than I expected for him, but something I really like about this pick is that its in the East where he is a solid Shaq defender, while Hakeem is in the West. That is worth taking him a little early if you don't think he'll be there your next pick.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur