Author Topic: The team needs Baynes  (Read 3013 times)

Re: The team needs Baynes
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 09:04:24 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
They need Williams.

Williams should start on the road with Horford.

I thought CBS put him in a tough, maybe unfair, spot during the 2nd quarter. I agree, rest AL is more important to this season than winning a few road games or back to backs.

The hook was too quick. Let him learn.

I'd like to see RW get a chance to play WITH Horford -- move Horford back to the 4 for at lease SOME minutes each game.   Sheesh, Al played 45% of his minutes last year at the 4 and the result was awesome.   I just don't get why was aren't using him there at least some of the time this year.

Because with Baynes out, and Horford with limited minutes, and RW still a rookie, he has to manage their minutes well. If Horford isnt on a minutes restriction yeah sure. Or if Baynes were available. Playing big just for the sake of playing big or fulfilling ones narrative shouldn't be the case, it should be made with matchups and available players in mind.

What this team is sorely lacking is a true 3 and D player off the bench, someone who is fine with low usage, as it enables Hayward to fully be the playmaker and Brown more touches. This thing with Rozier handling the ball isn't working at all.

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 09:11:57 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
They need Williams.

I thought CBS put him in a tough, maybe unfair, spot during the 2nd quarter. I agree, rest AL is more important to this season than winning a few road games or back to backs.

I'd like to see RW get a chance to play WITH Horford -- move Horford back to the 4 for at lease SOME minutes each game.   Sheesh, Al played 45% of his minutes last year at the 4 and the result was awesome.   I just don't get why was aren't using him there at least some of the time this year.

Because with Baynes out, and Horford with limited minutes, and RW still a rookie, he has to manage their minutes well. If Horford isnt on a minutes restriction yeah sure. Or if Baynes were available. Playing big just for the sake of playing big or fulfilling ones narrative shouldn't be the case, it should be made with matchups and available players in mind.

What this team is sorely lacking is a true 3 and D player off the bench, someone who is fine with low usage, as it enables Hayward to fully be the playmaker and Brown more touches. This thing with Rozier handling the ball isn't working at all.

Ojeleye is a prototype 3-and-D player.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 11:16:17 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He brings grit

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 11:17:35 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 11:49:44 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
They need Williams.

Ojeleye is a prototype 3-and-D player.

I prefer someone in the guard spot

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 10:39:16 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
Baynes looks ready to start again.
Bench Morris. His hot streak is over and he's more valuable as an iso-player on the 2nd unit anyway.

New starting line-up:

Irving - Smart - Tatum - Horford - Baynes

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 10:41:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 10:51:22 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
With Baynes alongside Horford, it really allows Al to do what he does best.

It relieves him of defending huge centers that take advantage of him physically by posting him up. It plugs up a hole in our team defense too. Baynes while not being a star does play excellent positional defense and he adds grit toughness.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 11:01:49 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Baynes did make a big impact last night. Fyi, I was at the game last night and the crowd was really into it. It's was my 3rd game this season and the last two, the crowd was kinda tame. It was nice to see that energy last night.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 01:40:40 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Through 45 games, Aron Baynes has the highest net rating (plus 13.0) and best defensive rating (98.5) among the #Celtics regulars

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 02:44:36 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
I just want a legit CENTER!!!

You have to travel time with Timelord to get one.

It could happen, if Brad ever gives him the playing time.

I would like to see Baynes and Williams sharing the center duties.

Through 45 games, Aron Baynes has the highest net rating (plus 13.0) and best defensive rating (98.5) among the #Celtics regulars

Just like last year Aron Baynes has the best defensive rating (96,4) in the entire NBA!!!
(only counting players who played at least as many minutes as Baynes, which btw are actually far too few)

As CelticsElite mentioned his net rating (+13,1) is also incredibly good, which ranks 4th in the entire NBA just behind Stephen Curry (1st), Draymond Green (2nd), Danny Green (3rd) and in front of Giannis Antetokounmpo (5th).

Also this season Baynes is elite in offensive rebounding (12,4%, 9th in the league), better than for example Steven Adams, Rudy Gobert or John Collins.

Overall all stats suggest that Baynes is more than capable of being a starting center, in fact there's a good case for him being on the NBA All-Defensive team.

He probably won't get the selection (since he's not a flashy player), but at least us Celtics fans should give him the credit that he deserves. I'm not necessarily saying that Baynes is a better player than Horford, but I am saying that he's our best center.

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 02:51:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I just want a legit CENTER!!!

You have to travel time with Timelord to get one.

It could happen, if Brad ever gives him the playing time.

I would like to see Baynes and Williams sharing the center duties.

Just like last year Aron Baynes has the best defensive rating (96,4) in the entire NBA!!!
(only counting players who played at least as many minutes as Baynes, which btw are actually far too few)

As CelticsElite mentioned his net rating (+13,1) is also incredibly good, which ranks 4th in the entire NBA just behind Stephen Curry (1st), Draymond Green (2nd), Danny Green (3rd) and in front of Giannis Antetokounmpo (5th).

Also this season Baynes is elite in offensive rebounding (12,4%, 9th in the league), better than for example Steven Adams, Rudy Gobert or John Collins.

Overall all stats suggest that Baynes is more than capable of being a starting center, in fact there's a good case for him being on the NBA All-Defensive team.

He probably won't get the selection (since he's not a flashy player), but at least us Celtics fans should give him the credit that he deserves. I'm not necessarily saying that Baynes is a better player than Horford, but I am saying that he's our best center.

Good post. TP