Author Topic: Cs play isolation ball the entire 4th quarter…isn’t that a world record?  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The ball in Pierce's hands at that point is not a problem.

The tunnel vision he was playing with was.  To many other players were open (like Ray) that Pierce should have passed.

Yeah part of the problem with Paul is that he is too good. He knows he can score on anyone so he decides when he gets the ball that he's going to shoot. Once the decision is made he does not deviate from the plan regardless of the defense.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

The tunnel vision he was playing with was.  To many other players were open (like Ray) that Pierce should have passed.

Yeah part of the problem with Paul is that he is too good. He knows he can score on anyone so he decides when he gets the ball that he's going to shoot. Once the decision is made he does not deviate from the plan regardless of the defense.

That's definitely true at times, which is why it's important that Paul plays beside a great PG.  However, when Rondo is off, putting the ball in Paul's hands is the best second option we have.  Also, in fairness to Paul, he did have a couple of assists down the stretch, although I agree, he should have gotten Ray more involved.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

The tunnel vision he was playing with was.  To many other players were open (like Ray) that Pierce should have passed.

That's definitely true at times, which is why it's important that Paul plays beside a great PG.  However, when Rondo is off, putting the ball in Paul's hands is the best second option we have.  Also, in fairness to Paul, he did have a couple of assists down the stretch, although I agree, he should have gotten Ray more involved.

Agreed. 

But last night, we saw the tunnel vision Pierce which worked fine in the 1st half.  In the 2nd half, it failed.  The effort was there, but not the results.  I think he would have played better if he eyes were "open" to his teammates more in the 2nd half. 

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
I'm sure this is an unpopular view, but how about we give some credit to a great defensive team who came up with a game plan to take away our ball movement?

Basically Orlando did to us what we've done to everyone else in the playoffs.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'm sure this is an unpopular view, but how about we give some credit to a great defensive team who came up with a game plan to take away our ball movement?

They did play good defense.

Which is why the iso ball plan with eyes closed an issue.  The best way to beat good defense is good team play.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

If Orlando's defense was what shut us down, I'd be worried.

However, it wasn't.  Last night's breakdown on offense was almost solely caused by Rondo playing timidly.  Orlando wasn't taking away our offense, we just weren't initiating it.  That caused us to go to Plan B, which is tough for us when Pierce, Ray, and BBD are the only ones contributing on offense in the second half.

Game 4 was an anomaly, because Rondo is a much better player than he showed.  I'm not stressed about Game 5 at all, because Orlando still hasn't shown that they can stop us.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I would argue that Ray coming off screens is our best second option.

However for some reason Rondo usually stands with the ball while waiting for Ray to get free. I say give KG the ball in the high post then run screens for ray so that he comes out on the same side as KG. If Ray is open he probably hits the 3. If KG's guy tries to help KG can take it to the hole or hit an elbow jumper.

I am never in favor of Iso plays, because it makes it that much easier to play help defense. It's ok to have one player run the offense but why not set some screens to make his life easier instead of just giving it to him and watching?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
The stagnant offense definitely did us in last night. We were shaky on defense but did enough on that end to win if we'd made a couple more baskets. Without the ball movement we weren't getting the kind of good looks we usually get and Rondo not playing well seems to have hurt the bench the most.

Not to take anything away from Rondo but the team really should be able to survive an off-night from him. I honestly don't know how I feel about this. We're a veteran team. I know Rondo is the little engine that makes us run but we can't become too dependent on him. We still need to find ways to get it done when he's resting or not playing well.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Yes, it was ugly and predictable offense.  But the bigger problem in my mind was that Paul was clearly exhausted with no gas left in the tank.  Why did the team and Doc not see that Ray was looking fresh and he was on fire?  If they ran plays for Ray to take 2 or 3 of those shots that Pierce clanged off the front of the rim, the C's easily win that game.

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
I thought the best part of the offense the previous game was the exquisite ball movement.  Guys were catching and passing in one continuous motion.  They were all in "the zone" together.
You can shut down any one player if you double or triple team him, but there really is no possible defense for 5 guys moving, and moving the ball at the same time.  We do this better than any other team.
We got away from this last night, but if we get back to it next game we will close this series out going away.