Author Topic: Celtics (39-16) at Lakers (42-12) Game #56 2/23/20  (Read 57231 times)

Re: Celtics (39-16) at Lakers (42-12) Game #56 2/23/20
« Reply #885 on: February 23, 2020, 07:27:42 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
The Celtics are able to win at Staples Center, they play very well here. Just look at their last 5 games here, keeping it to close single digits in losses. I hope we get another shot at them again later this season. With the Lakers having home court advantage and we have a healthy squad.

You have to mean the Clippers right? And not these Fakers.

The only way I want a return trip to Staples in June is via the Clippers.. Hard to say the Lakers might tie us in titles if we meet them in the Finals so better be safe than sorry.

« Reply #886 on: February 23, 2020, 07:44:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Despite all the BS that happened late, I'll say this. This team can 100% compete with anyone, and they can truly threaten for Banner 18. Hope Kemba can return and we enter April with a healthy squad (plus Timelord)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #887 on: February 23, 2020, 07:45:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Hayward had a great game tonight besides the missed looks. He almost had a triple double, with 8 rebounds and 9 assists, and played excellent, aggressive defense. Yet some people on here still want to dump on him.

« Reply #888 on: February 23, 2020, 07:46:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
As transcendent as Tatum was tonight, this game also exposed the next step he needs to take:  punishing teams with his vision.  When the Lakers sent two bodies at him, it largely stymied our offense.  We need to do a much better job of finding the open man when that happens, and it starts with Tatum.  I know it's not fair to ask even more of a guy who was already our best player tonight by far.  But if we're going to contend, that's a part of his game that he needs to unlock. 

Frustrating to lose this one, but it was a great game nonetheless.  I didn't like how the referees involved themselves in the game the way they did.  But it is what it is. 

Let's get the next one.
Good points but it starts with Brad Stevens NOT Tatum.  He should have recognized the change in defense on Tatum and adjusted.  Vogel out-coached Stevens tonight.   Complain all you want about missed bunnies and bad calls, those tend to even out over the course of the game.

It starts with Tatum. He was not good in recognizing the double and giving it up. Its the next step. Remember, they used to double IT as well and he did a good job of passing out of the double. Its how KO got that career game against the Wizards. Lebron for example passes very well out of the double.
Um, nope.  If Tatum couldn’t see it, Brad should have TOLD Tatum that that is what they were doing.  It’s a coach’s responsibility to tell the 21-year old.

You're making a poor assumption that Stevens didn't tell Tatum. I'm sure he did, but Tatum has to be the one to see it and properly execute on the court.

It's on Tatum. He has to learn how to make those reads and make the correct pass faster. It was good experience for him tonight.

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/1231723995260583936?s=19

« Reply #889 on: February 23, 2020, 07:48:14 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
The Celtics are able to win at Staples Center, they play very well here. Just look at their last 5 games here, keeping it to close single digits in losses. I hope we get another shot at them again later this season. With the Lakers having home court advantage and we have a healthy squad.

You have to mean the Clippers right? And not these Fakers.

The only way I want a return trip to Staples in June is via the Clippers.. Hard to say the Lakers might tie us in titles if we meet them in the Finals so better be safe than sorry.

I meant the Lakers, at Staples.

2014-2015: 118-111 OT L
2015-2016: 107-100 W
2016-2017: 115-95 W
2017-2018: 108-107 L
2018-2019: 120-107 W
2019-2020: 114-112 L

All of our wins against them have been marginal/reasonable victories. And losses have been down to the wire really.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #890 on: February 23, 2020, 07:52:47 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Lebron and co do understand that every call has value at this stage.. and they are using the refs for their favour.. we need guys to step up and challenge them not only physically but mentally too.. we will reach there.. give more time to langford and Williams.. and more shots.. both playing defence.. and unafraid to challenge.. I think next year they will score more.. for me they are rotation guys already.. I am delighted with romeo.. he is unafraid and challenged lebron..

When we complain we get called for T. Remember when Walker got ejected?

Agree on Romeo, he has been thoroughly outplaying Semi on D. With Kemba we win this. We dont have to play Wanamaker in games like this when we are healthy.

It happened tonight - Brad Stevens complained about the non-call on Tatum late in the 4th and they called a T on him! Even the Faker-loving ABC crew said it shouldn't have been called.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #891 on: February 23, 2020, 07:52:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As transcendent as Tatum was tonight, this game also exposed the next step he needs to take:  punishing teams with his vision.  When the Lakers sent two bodies at him, it largely stymied our offense.  We need to do a much better job of finding the open man when that happens, and it starts with Tatum.  I know it's not fair to ask even more of a guy who was already our best player tonight by far.  But if we're going to contend, that's a part of his game that he needs to unlock. 

Frustrating to lose this one, but it was a great game nonetheless.  I didn't like how the referees involved themselves in the game the way they did.  But it is what it is. 

Let's get the next one.
Good points but it starts with Brad Stevens NOT Tatum.  He should have recognized the change in defense on Tatum and adjusted.  Vogel out-coached Stevens tonight.   Complain all you want about missed bunnies and bad calls, those tend to even out over the course of the game.

It starts with Tatum. He was not good in recognizing the double and giving it up. Its the next step. Remember, they used to double IT as well and he did a good job of passing out of the double. Its how KO got that career game against the Wizards. Lebron for example passes very well out of the double.
Um, nope.  If Tatum couldn’t see it, Brad should have TOLD Tatum that that is what they were doing.  It’s a coach’s responsibility to tell the 21-year old.

You're making a poor assumption that Stevens didn't tell Tatum. I'm sure he did, but Tatum has to be the one to see it and properly execute on the court.

It's on Tatum. He has to learn how to make those reads and make the correct pass faster. It was good experience for him tonight.

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/1231723995260583936?s=19
Yeah, passing out of double teams isn't something that can be worked on in practice, unless Stevens is going to dedicate periods of 5 on 5 practice to doubling only Tatum, which won't happen. Jayson needs to see it in games and learn from it. He is 21. He will have a very long time to get better at it.

« Reply #892 on: February 23, 2020, 07:54:41 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Hayward had a great game tonight besides the missed looks. He almost had a triple double, with 8 rebounds and 9 assists, and played excellent, aggressive defense. Yet some people on here still want to dump on him.

Some people consider scoring to be the only thing in the game worth tracking  :-[
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #893 on: February 23, 2020, 07:55:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lebron and co do understand that every call has value at this stage.. and they are using the refs for their favour.. we need guys to step up and challenge them not only physically but mentally too.. we will reach there.. give more time to langford and Williams.. and more shots.. both playing defence.. and unafraid to challenge.. I think next year they will score more.. for me they are rotation guys already.. I am delighted with romeo.. he is unafraid and challenged lebron..

When we complain we get called for T. Remember when Walker got ejected?

Agree on Romeo, he has been thoroughly outplaying Semi on D. With Kemba we win this. We dont have to play Wanamaker in games like this when we are healthy.

It happened tonight - Brad Stevens complained about the non-call on Tatum late in the 4th and they called a T on him! Even the Faker-loving ABC crew said it shouldn't have been called.
Thought it funny that Van Gundy was saying it was a trash technical because Stevens isn't a guy that gets crazy with the refs so when he does he should receive a bit of latitude. Gotta agree with that.

« Reply #894 on: February 23, 2020, 08:07:55 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Tatum sat 46 seconds at the end of the Q3, 130 seconds for the break, 75 seconds for the Lakers Q4 timeout when he was on the bench and 276 seconds to start the 4th. Adds up to 8 minutes and 47 seconds.

I think that was a mistake.

Otherwise, the game continues to demonstrate what a weak bench we have AND that we can beat the LA teams.

« Reply #895 on: February 23, 2020, 08:12:16 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Eh. Changed my mind. Carry on

« Reply #896 on: February 23, 2020, 08:27:17 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

He made a lot of good contributions, but missing two layups in a 2-point loss is a huge negative.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #897 on: February 23, 2020, 08:27:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Game tells me that Celtics should be in a win now and dominate in the future posture. Ainge has not a great job, he now needs good fortune to have his team healthy. With a healthy team this team can challenge for the championship now and beyond.

« Reply #898 on: February 23, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If you'd told me last summer that we'd lose Kyrie and Al, get to 39-17 at this point in the season, compete against the best in the NBA, win even with missing key personnel I would've told you you were reaching, lol....

Improved chemistry with Kemba's arrival, The Jays stepping up big time, Smart being Smart, a healthy GH and Theis and Kanter have all been HUGE this season.

The future is INDEED bright. We're competing (and winning) against the best out there.

« Reply #899 on: February 23, 2020, 09:00:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
If you'd told me last summer that we'd lose Kyrie and Al, get to 39-17 at this point in the season, compete against the best in the NBA, win even with missing key personnel I would've told you you were reaching, lol....

Improved chemistry with Kemba's arrival, The Jays stepping up big time, Smart being Smart, a healthy GH and Theis and Kanter have all been HUGE this season.

The future is INDEED bright. We're competing (and winning) against the best out there.

Thats because we are one of the best out there. Rob Williams playing will make this team even better.