Author Topic: Matt Millen in hospital until he receives Heart Transplant - Edit -found a heart  (Read 1511 times)

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm sure this is a fairly common thing, but you usually don't hear about more high profile people having something like this happen to them.  Hopefully it brings more awareness to these sorts of things and hopefully someone else's death can lead to life for Millen.  Everyone should be a donor as you never know who or how many people you could save if something terrible happens to you.  So if you aren't a donor, take the steps to become one.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/03/mike-mccarthy-packers-nfl-week-13-fmia-peter-king/

Matt Millen: Patient

On Friday, I spent a couple of hours with Matt Millen in a hospital in New Jersey. He’s been there so long he knows the names of every nurse on the floor. They cook for him—real meals from home, so he won’t have to eat hospital food all the time.

Friday was day 65 waiting for a heart transplant. The guy next door on his floor got a heart and kidney the other day, and Millen was happy. I asked him if he had heart envy when a neighbor on the floor got one, and he said hell no—he hopes they all get theirs.

I’ll tell the story of Millen and his heart transplant Wednesday on my podcast, which you’ll be able to find here.

Millen needs a transplant because he has amyloidosis, a disease that attacks the heart with a rogue protein, amyloid. When I saw him last May, he knew the disease was advancing quickly, but he couldn’t have known it would be this quick. At 60, he needs a transplant fairly soon; problem is, he doesn’t know what “fairly soon” means. He feels fine now, but he’ll be in the hospital till, he hopes, he gets a heart to replace his sick one.

So he has a nice, small corner room, looking out at a working-class Jersey neighborhood. He watches every football game he can find on TV. He reads a lot. He likes Mike Lombardi’s “Gridiron Genius” book. He’s onto Churchill now. He knows he’s had a good run, and he hopes he has a long life left. But you’ll hear him on my podcast: He is pragmatic to the core, and he has loved his life, the football life with the four Super Bowl wins and the real life with his property out in Durham, Pa. I’m pulling hard for him. If you’d like, send me an email for Millen and I’ll forward them along.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:10:37 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Matt Millen in hospital until he receives Heart Transplant (or Dies)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 03:10:04 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip