Author Topic: Ohio State finally shows up  (Read 5639 times)

Re: Ohio State finally shows up
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2018, 09:10:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Georgia snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. 

They’re a top 4 team but I’m doubtful the committee goes down that road.  ALA, CLEM, ND, OKLA.

That fake punt on 4th and 11 was idiotic.  Reminiscent of the Colts fake punt.

Yep, those are clearly the four teams.

It was idiotic, and Fields had no idea what to do with it.  Kirby Smart has to get over this issue of becoming more conservative when he gets a lead vs Bama.

If you're right on those 4 teams, they'll have to expand the playoffs to 6 or 8 teams for the CFP to have any meaning.  UGA made a leap from top 15 to perennial contender with Smart's hiring, and with Bama's dominance, this is going to be an issue every other year now.

That was most likely your national championship game, though at least it was the 2nd great one in a row. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:20:47 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Georgia snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. 

They’re a top 4 team but I’m doubtful the committee goes down that road.  ALA, CLEM, ND, OKLA.

That fake punt on 4th and 11 was idiotic.  Reminiscent of the Colts fake punt.

Yep, those are clearly the four teams.

Definitely one of the most peculiar plays of all-time. Anyway, good opportunity to post this again  ;D

Oh, and good for UCF pulling it out today after a tough start and [of course] losing their qb. They aren't in the playoff race, but impressive undefeated season once again.

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2018, 11:03:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
As a buckeye fan, I can't find any issue with Oklahoma at 4, but it does seem strange that OSU was 6 behind Georgia at 5, when the committee said there was no significant difference between the 3 teams such that things like conference championships could be ignored.  If that is the case, then OSU should have been 5 with Georgia 6. 

This is the real problem with the committee, there is no consistency at all.  Sometimes they look at the losses, but sometimes it is the wins.  Sometimes they look for the most deserving and other times they look for the best.  They follow the rules when they want to but not other times.  It seems like the only way to truly get a fair result is to just make the playoffs 8 with the power 5 champions all getting an auto-bid, the best lesser 5 champion getting a bid, and then the 2 next best teams.  So this year that would be Alabama v. Washington, Clemson v. Central Florida, Notre Dame v. Ohio State, Oklahoma v. Georgia (based on final rankings).  Pretty clean this year, but even last year it would have been alright with Clemson v. Central Florida, Oklahoma v. Southern Cal, Georgia v. Wisconsin, Alabama v. Ohio State.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2018, 09:07:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm not living in a delusional world where I think Ohio State would have beaten Alabama, but this is embarrassing and there is no way Ohio State would have just rolled over and died like Oklahoma apparently has. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2018, 09:16:00 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm not living in a delusional world where I think Ohio State would have beaten Alabama, but this is embarrassing and there is no way Ohio State would have just rolled over and died like Oklahoma apparently has.

Frankly I always felt Notre Dame was extremely overrated too and they proved it again with that putrid performance against Clemson (just their 2nd REAL opponent this year IMHO besides maybe Michigan in Week 1 who they barely squeaked by). They need to expand the playoff system to 8 teams and also give the likes of UCF, etc. chances

But man, Purdue lost to Auburn 63-14 and OSU lost to Purdue by like 29 lol. Strange season.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller