Author Topic: Really bad trade idea.  (Read 3378 times)

Really bad trade idea.
« on: November 04, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174

Re: Really bad trade idea.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 01:28:03 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah, yikes...and it even has us giving up a pick.

I guess there is an argument to be made for a possible Hayward / Aldridge trade. I mean, I wouldn't do it due to age, but Aldridge is a very solid front court player and Hayward could opt out after this year.

But, no way in the world would I trade Jaylen and Smart for DeRozan.

The picture showing a Big 4 of Kemba, Tatum, DeRozan, and Aldridge actually looks pretty enticing, but then you look at who we are giving up and it makes you realize that we already have a sneaky good team with lots of potential upside. This trade obviously kills that upside.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 01:46:03 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 01:42:20 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Horrifyingly bad!  Oh the cartwheels Pops would do! 

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 01:51:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brown can't be traded this year.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 02:16:54 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
Well, at least it's a trade for a Big that I haven't seen thrown around yet.  Give them an A for effort.

Author assumes Jaylen would be a 20ppg scorer in San Antonio because he'd get more opportunities, while also assuming DeMar would return to the 24-27ppg scorer he was with Toronto because he too would get more touches in Boston.  That's some interesting logic.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No way I'd give up a pick of any kind, but I don't totally hate the player aspect.  That is the classic win now type trade.  It also provides for a much better roster construction.  Boston might very well be the favorite in the East with that team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 02:54:06 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
Also this:

Aldridge has been a constant 20-and-10 player and that success has continued this season as he is averaging 21.3 points and 8 rebounds while shooting 48 percent from the field and a blistering 60 percent from three through the first three games of the season.

Aldridge has never been a 20/10 player with the Spurs.  Only been a 20/10 player twice in his 13 year NBA career.  Even with generous rounding, he has only ever averaged 9+ boards four times.  Might as well call Horford a 20/10 guy too, or at least a 15/10 guy.

Also kind of annoyed, article published today 11/4, author is using stats outdated since 10/31 (when Aldridge played game #4).  Aldridge is currently averaging 16.5/7 and 30% from 3.  Did author write the article last week (possible) or just really massaging the numbers to make Aldridge's stats pop?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 03:06:52 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Lunacy
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 03:06:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Any trade that has Smart going out and nobody coming back the other way who would turn the Celts into a sure-fire contender is a bad, bad trade.

I would not move Smart unless it's an absolute no-brainer.  If we're not getting a top 10 player who gives us a shot at a title right away, I wouldn't bother.

Smart isn't a superstar but he's the most valuable sort of player I could imagine having who isn't a superstar.  He's a culture setter, a defensive lynchpin, and one of the few truly unique players in the league.

I most certainly would not trade for Derozan and LMA.  Those guys aren't leading anybody to a title and their shot-making skills would have diluted value on a team that already has Kemba and Tatum.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 03:23:26 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Any trade that has Smart going out and nobody coming back the other way who would turn the Celts into a sure-fire contender is a bad, bad trade.

I would not move Smart unless it's an absolute no-brainer.  If we're not getting a top 10 player who gives us a shot at a title right away, I wouldn't bother.

Smart isn't a superstar but he's the most valuable sort of player I could imagine having who isn't a superstar.  He's a culture setter, a defensive lynchpin, and one of the few truly unique players in the league.

I most certainly would not trade for Derozan and LMA.  Those guys aren't leading anybody to a title and their shot-making skills would have diluted value on a team that already has Kemba and Tatum.

You give up your two best defenders... This trade would be so good for the Spurs but just horrid for the Celtics.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 04:52:33 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Also Aldridge is 34 years old.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 05:46:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Accurate title.

Salaries and CBA rules aside, Danny wouldn’t do Hayward plus Jaylen for LMA and DeRozan. Adding Smart and the Memphis pick is wild.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 06:02:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Vomitworthy.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 06:15:23 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
lots of those around , waiting for a good one  ;D

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 06:46:22 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Accurate title.

Salaries and CBA rules aside, Danny wouldn’t do Hayward plus Jaylen for LMA and DeRozan. Adding Smart and the Memphis pick is wild.

It's Joe Johnson for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk but way worse....