Author Topic: Harry Giles (Merged)  (Read 5779 times)

Re: Trade idea: Harry Giles to Celtics
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 09:45:34 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I don't understand why people would be against this. Henry Giles has talent, and we're giving up practically nothing. Even with all the red flags, I'd take a swing on him.

I don’t object to taking a flyer on him.  But we are not developing him this season.  He’ll be an unrestricted free agent next year and not likely to be expensive.  Makes more sense to take a look then if we have an open roster spot for purposes of developing a player.  He’s frankly not worth a second-round pick.
salty beat me to these points, which is not unusual at all. i liked giles inspite of his injuries. he is talented.

yet, he would get little playing time this year and is a free agent next year. waiting to get him would seem to make more sense.

As currently constructed, it makes sense to wait. If suddenly our bigs were decimated by injuries, he might make sense as a high upside, low cost trade.

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 10:26:16 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I understand that we don't have any bigs that have proven that they can even be starters anywhere, much less important players. But I don't think we're really in trouble here. I like the combo of Theis and Robert Williams, and given our makeup, we don't need someone who needs a lot of touches at center. They compliment the roster very well.

They are both much quicker than the average big. They are plus defenders, can block shots and handle switches and they will improve with minutes.

When we play a huge team, hopefully Poirier can develop into a useful option, but Robert Williams can become an ideal big for this team. I say we keep feeding him minutes. I don't know what they are going to do with Kanter when he comes back, but I don't want him taking minutes from anyone.

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 10:28:00 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Celts need someone who will be better than all 4 Celtic big men.

Giles is not the answer.

What the Celts need is a big man for the playoffs.

Giles is not that guy.

Problem is the C's don't have salary matching for a big contract without giving up a great asset.  I really don't want the C's to move Smart or Hayward.  The type of Guy the C's will have to trade for is someone on a small salary that they can move a draft asset for.  Someone they can go over the cap to resign next year.  They are going to be in the luxury cap when Tatum gets his max.  Plus if Hayward opts in or signs an extension it will not matter.  The best bet is to hope Timelord develops into our best big and draft a few more bigs to develop.  I just don't see anyone out there that fits salary wise.  What the C's really need is a scorer off the bench.  Hopefully Edwards can take that role but right now the C's hopefully bring Kanter off the bench to help the 2nd unit and Smart.  They have no one else that can get buckets.  They need a guy who can get buckets.

Any interest in Harry Giles next summer?
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2019, 10:31:16 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Giles' option was not picked up by Kings - UFA next summer.  I believe C's would have some Mid Level exception dollars available.

I know he has not played a lot and seems to be frequently injured, with a long history of knee surgeries. 

Who knows if Kanter or Theis will be back.

Thoughts?

Re: Harry Giles (Merged)
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 10:44:39 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

He’s showed no potential. I see nothing in him, and he solves no current issues. I’d take a hard pass on Giles. We have enough young talent that actually have a higher ceiling than him at his position.

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 10:58:22 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Celts need someone who will be better than all 4 Celtic big men.

Giles is not the answer.

What the Celts need is a big man for the playoffs.

Giles is not that guy.

Problem is the C's don't have salary matching for a big contract without giving up a great asset.  I really don't want the C's to move Smart or Hayward.  The type of Guy the C's will have to trade for is someone on a small salary that they can move a draft asset for.  Someone they can go over the cap to resign next year.  They are going to be in the luxury cap when Tatum gets his max.  Plus if Hayward opts in or signs an extension it will not matter.  The best bet is to hope Timelord develops into our best big and draft a few more bigs to develop.  I just don't see anyone out there that fits salary wise.  What the C's really need is a scorer off the bench.  Hopefully Edwards can take that role but right now the C's hopefully bring Kanter off the bench to help the 2nd unit and Smart.  They have no one else that can get buckets.  They need a guy who can get buckets.

They have four guys who can and should average 20 ppg. Two can be on the floor at all times. They have looked really good this year by NOT having anyone else shoot in volume. Marcus stood in for Jaylen against the Bucks and fortunately hit some 3's, but as a general principle, having Walker, Brown, Hayward or Tatum carrying the offense at all times is best for this team.

We do not need a guy who can get buckets.

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 11:41:55 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Haven’t seen much of him but not a good sign the Kings didn’t pick up his option.   If we were to get a big man I’d want someone who is a significant upgrade over our current crop, otherwise we are just adding more clutter to the position.

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 12:02:42 PM »

• Paul Silas
Haven’t seen much of him but not a good sign the Kings didn’t pick up his option.   If we were to get a big man I’d want someone who is a significant upgrade over our current crop, otherwise we are just adding more clutter to the position.

What the Kings do or don't do is irrelevant. They are not a trustworthy organization for evaluation of talent.

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 01:01:27 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

What the Kings do or don't do is irrelevant. They are not a trustworthy organization for evaluation of talent.

I disagree.  The Kings although historically badly run have been doing a better job in recent times hence their surprise record last year.  Whenever a team doesn’t pick up an option on a very cheap contract it’s a warning sign.

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 01:26:49 PM »

• Paul Silas

I disagree.  The Kings although historically badly run have been doing a better job in recent times hence their surprise record last year.  Whenever a team doesn’t pick up an option on a very cheap contract it’s a warning sign.

I'm not sold on the Kings' evaluation.

2016 Papagiannis (13), Malachi Richardson (22), Skal (28)
2017 Fox (5), Jackson (15)
2018 Bagley (2)

2016 was a disaster of a draft for them. Trading up to get a player that probably would have been available and who is no longer in the league.

They get credit for drafting Fox in 2017. He's a good player. I don't think anyone thought he'd be a superstar at the time--I still don't. Still, they could have drafted Isaac or Frank or Smith Jr. or Monk instead. 3 of those 4 are absolute busts and many scouts thought they were in the same tier as Fox.

2018 is an unmitigated disaster. They could have had Doncic, a possible future MVP candidate. Instead, they drafted a forward scorer without superstar potential due to his size and defensive deficiencies. He's another John Collins--not a bust, but not a great player either. It's not like this hindsight either. At the time, both the Suns and the Kings were lit up for not drafting Doncic.

The trade for Bogdonavic was a good trade. He's a solid NBA wing player. Not an all-star, but a solid player.

The trade for Barnes is fine. Nothing gained or lost, but the decision to sign him to such a huge extension is a big mistake. It limited their ability to offer Hield a big contract. It probably was the exact decision that forced them not to pick up Giles option. With this team, I think I'd rather have Giles on a rookie contract than Barnes on a huge contract.

The problem with this team is now the limited upside. Maybe Fox takes the leap into stardom. He is pretty close. Still, there is definitely a possibility that no current player on the Kings roster ever sees an all-star game. How is that good evaluation?