Author Topic: Ja Morant Awareness thread  (Read 3534 times)

Re: Ja Morant Awareness thread
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 09:31:36 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I mentioned in the other Celtics draft thread, that I'd be curious if we ended up with all 4 draft picks whether Ainge would consider packaging them all and trying to move into the top 5 and getting Morant.
I think there is amost zero chance of that happening. Jordan didn’t want 4 picks from ainge to move up to 9. I think part of it was that Jordan didn’t want to eventually look stupid because he probably felt rushed...
Part of it is - managers expect ainge to way overpay in trades initiated by Boston...ainge refuses to overpay maybe Davis would be the exception
Part of it was

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 10:41:08 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I could imagine a team loving him trading down from one to get him like DA did for Tatum.

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 02:23:09 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Declared for the draft.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/04/03/murray-state-ja-morant-enter-nba-draft

MURRAY, Ky. (AP) — Murray State says that All-American guard Ja Morant will enter the NBA draft following a record-breaking season for the Racers.

The school said Wednesday night on its website that Morant announced his decision at the team’s arena. The athletic 6-foot-3 sophomore is projected as a lottery pick and could be chosen as high as second in the June 20 draft.

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 02:44:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I mentioned in the other Celtics draft thread, that I'd be curious if we ended up with all 4 draft picks whether Ainge would consider packaging them all and trying to move into the top 5 and getting Morant.
I think there is amost zero chance of that happening. Jordan didn’t want 4 picks from ainge to move up to 9. I think part of it was that Jordan didn’t want to eventually look stupid because he probably felt rushed...
Part of it is - managers expect ainge to way overpay in trades initiated by Boston...ainge refuses to overpay maybe Davis would be the exception
Part of it was
most of the picks in the charlotte trade were future picks, not known picks.  known picks have way more value.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 02:46:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Outside of Zion, by far the player is love to be a Celtic. True winner. Team first. The Anti Kyrie.

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 02:53:38 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The talent is undeniable.

The question with players like these is whether they feel the need to dominate the ball (ala John Wall, Russell Westbrook) or can play within a ball movement system while using their slashing and play-making ability.

Generally speaking, point guards who dominate the ball don't lead championship teams. There's just something about the way defenses can respond in the playoffs.

It is possible to have a point guard be one of your best players on the team and win a championship, like Steph Curry, Tony Parker, and Jason Kidd.

This is one of the reasons why I like what Irving has done so much. He could have stepped in to the Celtic system and dominated the ball, putting up way bigger numbers than he does, but he wanted to learn a ball movement system. I think he has and continues to get better with it.