Author Topic: Disappointed at Grant Williams game  (Read 12480 times)

Re: Disappointed at Grant Williams game
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2021, 01:44:52 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Sophomore slump maybe?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2021, 01:54:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sophomore slump maybe?

hopefully

just need to see more consistency

Brad rotating Grant/Semi these days

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2021, 02:04:57 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
why is there an expectation that Grant Williams is / should be a good NBA player?

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2021, 02:10:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I just don't get the hate towards Grant. He is world's better at shooting the three this year. His scoring has been very efficient. And he does guard PFs at a good level and can at least credibly switch onto a lot of SFs and some centers.

He started the year defensively completely lost and appeared a step slower and a tiny bit rounder. But he has worked through that.

He has a high BBIQ and is more than fine as a 9th to 11th man in the rotation. Like everyone on the bench, he has to get consistent. And lest we forget, he only turned 22 in December. Give him time. I see a future, extremely solid and productive bench guy, especially if that 3 point shot is always over 40%.
I think there's 2 camps on Grant.
1. there are those that don't like him (hate him) because he doesn't meet their criteria for the type of player they think Danny should have drafted regardless of who was actually available at that point.  The "he's too short/too heavy/unathletic/too slow/etc..." group.  Nothing short of him becoming the next Paul Milsap will mollify them. 
2. there's the rest (myself included) who don't dislike/hate him but are disappointed in his play so far this year considering how well he was playing for us last season and in the playoffs.  it's not like there was a lot of downtime between seasons to the severe regression in his game is just inexplicable.  if he at least played at the level he was at last season, we'd probably have 2-3 more wins and we'd be feeling a lot better about the front court rotation on the team.  Semi's been adequate at times but he's only going to provide so much.  Grant looked like a similar player but with much better offensive skills.

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2021, 02:33:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I just don't get the hate towards Grant. He is world's better at shooting the three this year. His scoring has been very efficient. And he does guard PFs at a good level and can at least credibly switch onto a lot of SFs and some centers.

He started the year defensively completely lost and appeared a step slower and a tiny bit rounder. But he has worked through that.

He has a high BBIQ and is more than fine as a 9th to 11th man in the rotation. Like everyone on the bench, he has to get consistent. And lest we forget, he only turned 22 in December. Give him time. I see a future, extremely solid and productive bench guy, especially if that 3 point shot is always over 40%.
1. there are those that don't like him (hate him) because he doesn't meet their criteria for the type of player they think Danny should have drafted regardless of who was actually available at that point.  The "he's too short/too heavy/unathletic/too slow/etc..." group.  Nothing short of him becoming the next Paul Milsap will mollify them. 
2. there's the rest (myself included) who don't dislike/hate him but are disappointed in his play so far this year considering how well he was playing for us last season and in the playoffs.  it's not like there was a lot of downtime between seasons to the severe regression in his game is just inexplicable.  if he at least played at the level he was at last season, we'd probably have 2-3 more wins and we'd be feeling a lot better about the front court rotation on the team.  Semi's been adequate at times but he's only going to provide so much.  Grant looked like a similar player but with much better offensive skills.
Grant's defense has definitely taken a step backwards this season, but so has everyone else's defense in that Celtic locker room, including Brown and Smart.

Stevens mentioned that the short turnaround between seasons has appeared to have affected the players on the team more so than the condensed schedule. That could be the issue here, as, at least by my eye test, his defense over the last couple weeks has seemed to improve greatly.

And yes his defense hasn't been what it was but there is no denying his offense has been much better. His FG% went from 41.2% to 47%. His 3PT% went from 25% to 43.3%. His TS% went from 50.5% to 58.3%. And his Per36 PPG went from 8.2 points to 10.6 points. 

Regarding if Grant's defense would have meant 2-3 more wins, I just don't see the drop in his offense, that is offset by the jump in his offense, being the cause for 2-3 more losses this year. Injuries, Covid, condensed schedule, no practices. Those things as a collective might be responsible for 2-3 of our losses, but not Grant's play alone. He just isn't that important.

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2021, 02:38:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
why is there an expectation that Grant Williams is / should be a good NBA player?

Because he was a 1st round pick

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2021, 02:39:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Grant was most effective last season as small ball 5.  With TT, our 5 rotation has little room to use him, plus Theis has been pretty effective lately at the 4.  Grant is basically competing with Semi for back up 4 minutes.   

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2021, 03:02:59 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Quietest 17pts I have seen from a player. But geez, 17 pts shooting 7-9 fg? 

Grant has been inconsistent this season.  If he could string together games like, last night.... it would really help out the team

Was better at the D end also.  Just has to put it together

highlights vs Raptors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F18gJEajO8I

There in lies the problem. He only looks good 1 out of every 5 games. His shooting is really his only redeeming quality. Not a good defender, not a good rebounder, not a good passer. I don’t see
Much upside.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2021, 03:26:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I know that when the shots go in, it has an impact on the perception but his shot looked really relaxed last night, really comfortable.  It would be great if that is an indication that he has turned some corner or something but I don't expect that is the case.  He is a reasonably good, reasonably versatile bench player who is undersized by a lot for his natural position.  Nothing wrong with that but the undersized part of that constrains how much you can use him.

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2021, 03:38:21 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
In fairness, irregular minutes make it nearly impossible for a player to be consistent.  Very few guys are always on when playing 5 minutes one night, zero the next, and then 25 minutes the next. 

Grant played a nice role & helped us win last night.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2021, 04:01:01 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Only one turnover yesterday in 21 minutes, not bad.  But he has been so inconsistent.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2021, 04:40:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Would like to see him take Ojeleye’s minutes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2021, 04:46:24 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Tp
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2021, 04:52:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Tp

Do you really think there is that much difference?

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2021, 04:56:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Why? Grant Williams shoots the 3 ball better than Semi, 43% vs 38%, but other than that he doesn’t do anything well. Least Semi can play defense and guard multiple positions. Grant can’t guard any position.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.