Preferred Trade Target

Grant
22 (40%)
Vucevic
26 (47.3%)
Neither
7 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Preference Grant or Vucevic?  (Read 7877 times)

Re: Preference Grant or Vucevic?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2021, 09:23:01 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 Hi guys. I’ve been having trouble looking it up. Maybe I’m wording it wrong. I know people here would know. I know it can’t be consecutive 1sts but what’s the limit on # of 1st round picks you can trade ( if there is a limit)?
  Thanks!!!

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Hi guys. I’ve been having trouble looking it up. Maybe I’m wording it wrong. I know people here would know. I know it can’t be consecutive 1sts but what’s the limit on # of 1st round picks you can trade ( if there is a limit)?
  Thanks!!!
I believe it is 7 years out.  so you can trade 4 1sts and do 3 picks swaps.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2021, 09:48:50 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Yeah I just don’t see any chance of Detroit moving Grant for anything we have to offer whose name doesn’t start with Jay. Our picks won’t be good, our players won’t help them build, and Grant is a young cost-controlled productive piece who fits their rebuild. There’s absolutely no reason for them to trade him.

Vucevic moves the needle for this team. I understand the defense concerns, but look, you can figure that out. We started Isaiah Thomas and went to the ECF. We started Kemba and went to the ECF! We’ve been undersized for a long time. I would welcome some length on the block.

Offensive skill wins in today’s NBA. Yes you need to have a strong defense, but we can still have a top-10 D with Vucevic and the rest of our personnel. The 5-man lineup of Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Vucevic is extremely potent. That’s a contending team.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2021, 10:05:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Yeah I just don’t see any chance of Detroit moving Grant for anything we have to offer whose name doesn’t start with Jay. Our picks won’t be good, our players won’t help them build, and Grant is a young cost-controlled productive piece who fits their rebuild. There’s absolutely no reason for them to trade him.

Vucevic moves the needle for this team. I understand the defense concerns, but look, you can figure that out. We started Isaiah Thomas and went to the ECF. We started Kemba and went to the ECF! We’ve been undersized for a long time. I would welcome some length on the block.

Offensive skill wins in today’s NBA. Yes you need to have a strong defense, but we can still have a top-10 D with Vucevic and the rest of our personnel. The 5-man lineup of Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Vucevic is extremely potent. That’s a contending team.
Having a poor defensive guard is different from having an average defensive big, it's much more difficult to assemble a strong defensive squad around the latter. But yeah I can see the offensive gains being worth it, it's not like Vucevic is very easily exploited defensively, he just isn't a guy who can churn out high value plays on that end.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I like both players.  If it was as simple as picking between the two, I like Grant as he is younger and more versatile.   But I would be thrilled if we ended up with either depending on what we gave up.

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2021, 10:34:43 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Having a poor defensive guard is different from having an average defensive big, it's much more difficult to assemble a strong defensive squad around the latter. But yeah I can see the offensive gains being worth it, it's not like Vucevic is very easily exploited defensively, he just isn't a guy who can churn out high value plays on that end.

For sure, the big is a more important defensive player usually. I also think we tend to overvalue defensive impact from individuals as opposed to strong team schemes with solid defenders at each position. Unless you’re Gobert/KG/Shaq/whatever I don’t see players individually totally swinging team defense numbers. That includes Smart (whom I love).
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2021, 10:50:10 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Vuc

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2021, 11:16:33 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

For sure, the big is a more important defensive player usually. I also think we tend to overvalue defensive impact from individuals as opposed to strong team schemes with solid defenders at each position. Unless you’re Gobert/KG/Shaq/whatever I don’t see players individually totally swinging team defense numbers. That includes Smart (whom I love).
Shaq actually didn't swing team defence numbers that much, he was at least a rung below the defensive giants but yeah those individuals are rare.

I think we underrate the individuals who can actually vault an average team to the elite on defence all by themselves, the disrespect that guys like Gobert and prime Draymond receive is insane. But yeah we do seem to overrate the Simmons/LeBrons of the world who can be key cogs in elite defences or even the best defender on one but can't do those defensive carryjobs like a titanic big man can by comparing them to the latter.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2021, 05:51:49 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Grant is putting up a career season. It's laughable if this is the guy Ainge decides to buy high on. He won't be half the player he is on detroit, in Boston. The definition of a stat padder (this season at least)
Did you watch him last year? Guy is a good player. Good playoff performance too. It’s carried over.

Yup I did, but he is averaging 23.4 PPG. I would have took him last year but cost from detroit will be too great for what he truly is.

It's laughable to me that Danny wants to buy high on him, but doesn't seem to be buying low on Collins who has been bouncing around in trade rumours for the past year, fits the timeline better than Grant, and is already more of a proven commodity.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:59:11 PM by BackDoorCut »

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2021, 06:12:28 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Grant is putting up a career season. It's laughable if this is the guy Ainge decides to buy high on. He won't be half the player he is on detroit, in Boston. The definition of a stat padder (this season at least)
Did you watch him last year? Guy is a good player. Good playoff performance too. It’s carried over.

Yup I did, but he is averaging 23.4 PPG. I would have took him last year but cost from detroit will be too great for what he truly is.

It's laughable to me that Danny wants to buy high on him, but doesn't seem to be buying low on Collins who has been bouncing around in trade rumours for the past year, fits the timeline better than Grant, and is already more of a proven commodity.

Collins isn’t going to be a buy-low opportunity.

I’ll be pretty surprised if the chatter we’re hearing about Grant tells the real story. More likely Detroit got a typical feeler and leaked this version to pump up Grant and make a public show of how committed they are to him.

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2021, 10:32:35 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I like Timelord.  But if he is required trade bait to land Vucevic, yes I give him up every day and twice on Sundays.

The question is can we even afford to pay both Kemba Walker and Vucevic?

A big 4 of Tatum, Brown, Vucevic, and Walker could really contend though if we could fit them all under the cap.

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2021, 10:38:08 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Grant is fools’ gold and Troy Weaver knows it.

Vucevic probably gets us back to the ECF, but I want it all next time...

Let’s face it: we’ve got no shot at a title this year, but we might get lucky in the off-season so let’s be patient with the TPE.