Author Topic: Celtics (50-14) at Jazz (28-36) Game #65 3/12/24  (Read 7373 times)

Celtics (50-14) at Jazz (28-36) Game #65 3/12/24
« on: March 12, 2024, 12:39:09 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (50-14) at Utah Jazz (28-36)
Tuesday, March 12, 2024
9:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #65 Road Game #33
TV:   NBCSB,  KTZZ, NBA-LP
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, KSL 97.5, Sirius XM
Delta Center

Probable Celtics Starters
PG SG SFPF C
PG:  Jrue Holiday
SG:  Derrick White
SF:  Jaylen Brown
PF:  Jayson Tatum
C:   Kristaps Porzingis

Celtics Reserves
Oshae Brissett
Sam Hauser
Payton Pritchard
Jordan Walsh
Luke Kornet
Xavier Tillman
Jaden Springer

2 Way Players
JD Davison
Drew Peterson
Neemias Queta

Injuries/Out

Al Horford (rest) out
Svi Mykhailiuk  (personal) questionable

Head Coach
Joe Mazzulla 

Probable Starters
PG SG SF  PF C
PG:  Keyonte George
SG:  Collin Sexton
SF:   Brice Sensabaugh
PF:   John Collins
C:    Walker Kessler

Jazz Reserves
Jordan Clarkson
Kris Dunn
Talen Horton-Tucker
Taevion Kinsey
Kira Lewis, Jr
Kenneth Lofton, Jr
Luka Samanic
Omer Yurtseven

Two Way Players

Johnny Juzang
Micah Potter
Jason Preston

Injuries/Out
Taylor Hendricks  (toe) out
Lauri Markkanen (quad) out

Head Coach

Will Hardy

Game Notes
The Celtics look to end their road trip on a positive note as they take on the Utah Jazz.  This is the 2nd and final meeting between these two teams this season.  The Celtics won 126-97 on January 5 in Boston.   They split the series 1-1 last season with each team winning on their home court.   The Celtics are 61-46 all time overall against the Jazz and 22-31 in games played in Utah. 

The Celtics are playing on the second night of back to back games. They are 8-2 on the second night of back to back games so far.  They are 2-1 when the both of the games in the back to back set are on the road.  The Jazz have had 2 days off,  last playing on Saturday.

The Celtics remain 1st in the East, 8.5 games ahead of 2nd place Milwaukee, 9 games ahead of 3rd place Cleveland, 12.5 games ahead of 4th place New York, 13 games ahead of 5th place Orlando and 13.5 games ahead of 6th place Philadelphia.   They are 20-11 on the road and 8-2 in their last 10 games.  They are 16-7 against Western Conference teams.  They are coming off a win in their last game.

The Jazz are 12th in the West, 9 games behind 6th place Phoenix, 8.5 games behind 7th place Sacramento, 5.5 games behind 10th place Golden State and 1 game behind 11th place Houston.  They are 6.5 games behind 13th place Memphis.  They are 19-12 at home and 2-8 in their last 10 games.  They are 14-13 against Eastern Conference teams and they have lost their last 2 games.

The Celtics are playing in the final game of a 5 game road trip.  They lost the first two games against Cleveland and Denver and then won in Phoenix and won in Portland.  They will go home for a game against Phoenix before facing Washington on the road.  They then have home games against Detroit and Milwaukee before a 6 game road trip through Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta (twice), New Orleans and Charlotte. 

The Jazz Have been off for 2 days after losing a game to Denver on Saturday.  They are playing in the first of a 4 game home stand.  They will host Atlanta and Minnesota twice before a 3 game road trip through Oklahoma City, Dallas, and Houston.  They then return home for a 3 game home stand against Dallas, San Antonio and Houston. 

The Celtics had Jrue Holiday (knee), Svi Mykhailiuk (personal),  and Kristaps Porzingis (hamstring) out against Portland on Monday.   As of right now, I'd list them as questionable for this game.  Al Horford should be out for rest since this is the second of back to back games.  I'm not sure if Tatum, Brown or White will get a rest day here since all 3 had been listed on the injury report ahead of Monday's game. 

For the Trail Blazers, Taylor Hendricks is out with a ligament sprain in his left big toe.  Lauri Markkanen has already been ruled out for this game.  Markkanen will miss his fourth consecutive game as he tries to heal from a right quad contusion. 

Key Matchups
vs
Derrick White vs Collin Sexton
Sexton is averaging 18.2 points, 2.5 rebounds, and 4.7 assists per game.  He is shooting 48.3% from the field and 40.4% from beyond the arc.   Against the Celtics this season, he finished with 13 points, 1 rebound, 3 assists, and 3 steals.  He shot 41.7% from the field but didn't hit a 3. 

vs
Jayson Tatum vs John Collins
Collins is averaging 14.6 points, 8.6 rebounds, and 1.2 assists.  He is shooting 52.8% from the field and 33.8% from beyond the arc.  Against the Celtics this season he had 12 points, 11 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 block.  He shot 62.5% from the field but didn't hit a 3. 

Honorable Mention
Kristaps Porzingis vs Walker Kessler
Kessler is averaging 8.4 points, 7.5 rebounds, 0.9 assists and 2.7 blocks.  He is shooting 64.2% from the field and 21.1% from beyond the arc. Against the Celtics this season he finished with 4 points and 7 rebounds.  He shot 66.7% and did not make a 3 pointer.  He is a threat to block shots and so the Celtics need to be aware of him when they go to the hoop. 

Keys to the Game
Defense -  Defense is the key to winning each and every game.   The Celtics are 2nd in the league with a defensive rating of 110.3 while the Jazz are 27th with a defensive rating of 118.9. The Celtics are 4th in points per game with 120.7 while the Jazz are 9th with 117.7 points per game.  The Jazz have some very good 3 point shooters on the team and they are 9th with 37.1 three pointers attempted per game so the Celtics need to play good perimeter defense.   But they also must defend in the paint as the Jazz are 5th with 54.1 points in the paint per game.  The Celtics must continue to  make defense a priority to win this game.

Rebound - Much of rebounding is effort and when the Celtics put out that effort on the boards, we see it in the other areas of their game.  The Celtics are averaging  47.2 rebounds per game (1st) while the Jazz are averaging 46.2  rebounds per game, which is 3rd in the league.  The Jazz are 1st with 16.8 second chance points per game and the Celtics must have every player fight for rebounds to limit those 2nd chance points.  If the Celtics want to win this game they need to crash the boards and beat the Jazz to rebounds. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics have to come out and be aggressive right from the opening tip.  They have to be aggressive on defense, driving to the basket, rebounding, diving for loose balls and just playing harder in general.  They need to get off to a strong start and play hard right up until the final buzzer. They can't let the Jazz outwork them for any period of time because it doesn't matter how good a team is, if they allow opponents to play harder than them,  they can lose to any team. 

Focus for 48 Minutes - The Celtics need to stay focused for 48 minutes.  They have to focus on taking good shots and making them. They also have to keep that effort and focus up for 48 minutes with no let up and no collapse.  They can't afford to get complacent because the Jazz have a losing record and have won just 2 of their last 10 games.  The final game of a road trip is always the toughest.  The Celtics need to stay focused on winning in spite of the circumstances. 

X-Factors
Back to Back On the Road
- The Celtics are playing in the final game of a 5 game road trip.  They have to stay focused on playing Celtics basketball and block out all the distractions that come from playing on the road like travel, playing in a different time zone,  staying in hotels and a hostile crowd.  They are also playing in back to back games and in the 3rd game in 4 nights.  Fatigue may be a factor down the stretch in this game.

Coaching -   Joe Mazzulla and Will Hardy are both former Celtics assistant coaches and both are 2nd year head coaches who have done well in their first season.  Joe Mazzulla won the first round in Boston.  Which former assistant will lead their team to the win in this one?

Officiating -  Officiating is always an x-factor. Will they let them play or will they call every ticky tack foul?  Will they favor the home team?    We never know what any given crew will do.  The Celtics need to stay focused and not allow bad calls or lack of calls take away their composure and take them out of their game.   

Re: Celtics (50-14) at Jazz (28-36) Game #65 3/12/24
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 12:39:52 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
Ready for another win.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 12:40:30 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to Silas   for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!

Beat the Jazz!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 12:41:45 AM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
Thanks for the back to back game thread FLCeltsFan and the TP, and a TP back at you.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2024, 08:12:56 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Finish this last game out west strong. Then get home.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 10:42:43 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Expecting to see a lot of Tillman tonight with Al being rested. I'm guessing that's why he was held out yesterday.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 10:42:56 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
The Jazz don't have the defenders to stop Tatum and Brown. It should be a high scoring game.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 11:00:34 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  This is a game I’d love to see Tatum rest but maybe don’t want to get too comfortable. I don’t mind Tillman playing to be a happier camper but I’m all about Kornet ahead of Tillman. I’d rather have him in there vs the Nuggets next time. Even though he can really be picked on he’s just a guaranteed two in the sinker spot if we can get in the paint.  I think I’d like that trade off gs the Nuggets.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 11:01:48 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  Next time obviously is hopefully in the Finals. Although, I’d be pretty happy if some West team took them out for us.

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 11:24:07 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2955
  • On To Banner 18!
Surprised to see a lot of guys playing. Figured they would have rested the handful that played yesterday
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 11:33:29 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Surprised to see a lot of guys playing. Figured they would have rested the handful that played yesterday

It would be funny if we rested half the team, got out of sync and lost  :laugh:  I’m sure Joe would be flagellated for overconfidence. Poor barstard cant win  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 11:47:36 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just glad this trip & these late start times are coming to an end.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 03:12:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Boston Celtics
@celtics
·
2m
#NEBHInjuryReport for tonight at Utah:

Jaylen Brown (sacroiliac strain) - OUT
Al Horford (left big toe sprain) - OUT
Svi Mykhailiuk (personal reasons) - QUESTIONABLE
Kristaps Porzingis (right hamstring strain) - OUT

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 03:22:29 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Boston Celtics
@celtics
·
2m
#NEBHInjuryReport for tonight at Utah:

Jaylen Brown (sacroiliac strain) - OUT
Al Horford (left big toe sprain) - OUT
Svi Mykhailiuk (personal reasons) - QUESTIONABLE
Kristaps Porzingis (right hamstring strain) - OUT

No KP or Al?  It’s Tillman time!

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2024, 03:56:18 PM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
Tonight's game with the Green Kornet, X man, and maybe some Q time.  Go Cs.