Author Topic: Need Opinions - Should I Call CPS on My Neighbors?  (Read 7141 times)

Re: Need Opinions - Should I Call CPS on My Neighbors?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 10:41:46 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If their behavior is constantly out in the street in plain view, they aren't likely to know who called CPS -- since it could be just about anyone from the neighborhood or even driving by. That is, unless you've threatened to call CPS or some other indication.

I doubt the children are being well taken care of, but it does come down to some level of judgement on your part vs online speculation. The child being naked outside at weird hours does fit in with the idea of irresponsible parents, but, being personally offended by the sight of it is more an HOA or neighborly level problem than CPS. Is he/she actually running in the street? Malnourished? Injured? Abused? Part of the difficulty in these cases is that crappy (but not outright abusive) parents are still preferred over separation. I think you do need to separate the "kids shouldn't be nude in the front yard" issue from a safety one, even if the former is a perfectly valid opinion.

IMO if you're more concerned than offended, call. The only scenario in which they know it was you involves serious abuse that you *should* risk identifying yourself over. If they're just really obnoxious neighbors then unfortunately it probably needs to take care of itself via evictions/ criminal convictions etc. If they're paying the rent with drug money, it's probably only a matter of time before they get busted and are gone.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 10:44:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Another possibility, although perhaps a remote one: you can call a local reporter and see if they’d do anarticle. It seems to hit on a lot of human interest elements. It’s probably a dead end — it depends on the political environment— but they would keep your name out of it, and press attention usually results in action.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 10:50:05 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
If it's only about the children's safety and not partially because they are a nuisance to you, then call. Calling CPS should be the last resort because a lot of the times children face worse in the system when they are taken from their families. It's always a tough call but I say do it if you are really worried about their safety (not for them running around naked in the heat).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 11:03:12 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Yeah, I mean, that's the thing I'm struggling with - it really is borderline whether this is an actual CPS issue, or just a police/continued eviction efforts issue.

They're clearly bad parents and just all around not good people, and I think the vast majority of people would feel uncomfortable with their behavior and decisions. Further, I think most people would find these concerns reasonable given the various issues and observations at play, including the incessant nakedness of the kids, the terrible condition of their home, their history of violence and drug use, etc.

But I haven't actually "witnessed" any actual abuse or neglect; it could just be that they're ignorant of how bad all of this looks from the outside. And even the stuff that is suspected isn't necessarily actively harming the kids, such as physical or sexual abuse or neglect to the point of imminent harm. While that's a fairly charitable interpretation of the situation, I don't know if I feel strongly enough about these concerns to risk the potential ramifications that come with reporting them.

And to throw even another wrench into it, if I'm really worried about the kids' safety, am I in the wrong for working with the other neighbors, the police, and the councilwoman to try and get the family evicted? I highly doubt that they'd have any other place to go, and this just might put the kids into an even riskier and more dangerous situation, even if it would be in the best interests of my family and the overall neighborhood.

I'm just so conflicted.

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 11:14:43 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Another possibility, although perhaps a remote one: you can call a local reporter and see if they’d do anarticle. It seems to hit on a lot of human interest elements. It’s probably a dead end — it depends on the political environment— but they would keep your name out of it, and press attention usually results in action.

Hmm, interesting idea. Will look into it. The Plain Dealer has a section/blog dedicated to our particular suburb with a primary reporter/writer. Might be worth contacting her and floating this story to her. TP.

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 11:33:47 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Call CPS. At the very least, a case will be opened and the children's welfare will be monitored. As someone who grew up in the foster care system, I understand the hesitation because the system is flawed, but it may be a situation where intervention and monitoring may improve the living conditions without the children being separated from their parents.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 11:36:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
you should seriously think about moving.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 12:17:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If the child is not in any kind of real danger (just sub optimal parenting)...  personally I would not get involved

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 12:33:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I find it very surprising that there could be so many police calls to that house without a child welfare having been notified already.  In other words, I expect they’re already on the radar, but if you have concerns, you should call (although a 2-year old demanding to go outside without clothes regardless of weather is not something that would trigger my child neglect radar, having a such a 2-year-old myself.)

If your kid is anything like mine, you may be in for at least another 2-3 years of "naked time."

Mike

Talk about...naked ambition ;) ::) ;D *groan*, lol.

On a much more serious note, however, jpotter33, yes, I would absolutely call CPS, although Roy's idea of contacting your local media outlet, etc., is excellent, as well, imo (TP, sir :)), so it's probably best to at least explore the option in regards to the latter.

In our neck of the woods ;D, sending tips/story ideas to the local television news stations have actually regularly appeared in commercials, believe it for not, and for at least the last few years, although I'm not sure as to whether or not that is a possibility for you, so yeah.

Beyond that, is there any kind of fence or whatever around their property, because in addition to my concern, along with that of everyone else, pertaining to toddlers being exposed to extreme temperatures, period, never mind sans clothes and supervision, I'm also worried about the possibility of said child suddenly wandering into traffic.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 12:47:16 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Bake them cookies and bring them over.

When I first moved to my new house, I was dealing with the same sort of thing with my neighbors bordering our property. They were having loud parties, trashing my yard etc. I had my wife bake up some cookies and I bought them over with my (at the time) 4 year old. "Hello, we are your neighbors next door. We are new to the neighborhood. We just wanted to introduce ourselves". etc. Kill them with kindness.

Not one party since.

The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 12:48:33 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Bake them cookies and bring them over.

When I first moved to my new house, I was dealing with the same sort of thing with my neighbors bordering our property. They were having loud parties, trashing my yard etc. I had my wife bake up some cookies and I bought them over with my (at the time) 4 year old. "Hello, we are your neighbors next door. We are new to the neighborhood. We just wanted to introduce ourselves". etc. Kill them with kindness.

Not one party since.

It should also be noted that the woman that greeted us when we brought over the cookies was all apologetic about the partying and everything, and I didn't even bring it up.

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 12:52:47 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
As far as calling a DCF equivalent and filing a 51A equivalent, I'm not sure there is enough there without proof. DCF types are going to look for clear signs of abuse on the child.

If you haven't already, set up surveillance on your property. The Arlo2 is a good option.

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 12:55:02 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

If you haven't already, set up surveillance on your property. The Arlo2 is a good option.

Really a no brainer anyway, considering what you guys are dealing with.

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 02:41:48 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Eh, the nakedness wouldn't bother me.  I don't care if other people want to be naked.

Are the children running around outside unsupervised?  Are the parents, or someone they have specifically designated to watch them present?  If not, that's neglect.  If there is, I'm not sure any neglect can be proven.  A dirty home isn't necessarily neglect/endangerment.

But the domestic violence is definitely disturbing, and I'm wondering why the police aren't already involved more on that subject.  Are they just not aware?

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 03:35:01 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I suggest you look at the links below and determine whether you would qualify under NY state guidance regarding reporting child abuse and neglect. I don't know where you are and picked NY because it generally has a strong regulatory environment comparatively.

Five Criteria CPS Needs to Register a Report:

You do not need to be certain that child abuse or neglect has occurred before you call the Child Abuse Hotline. However, you do need to have a reasonable suspicion. When you call, Child Abuse Hotline staff member will ask you to explain the information and circumstances that caused your suspicion.

https://www.dorightbykids.org/how-do-i-call-in-a-report/what-criteria-must-be-met/
https://www.dorightbykids.org/working-definitions-of-sexual-abuse-physical-abuse-neglect/
https://www.nccafv.org/child-abuse-reporting-numbers