Author Topic: 2013 CB Historical Draft Thread  (Read 130665 times)

Re: 2013 CB Historical Draft Thread
« Reply #405 on: May 15, 2013, 10:29:15 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Nick/anyone else care if we just declare 4.1 now?

« Reply #406 on: May 15, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Question: when you guys Re assembling the players, do the eras the players were dominant in have a significant bearing on who you select?

Example: Does a guy who was dominant pre-merger in the doped up 70's (say, Kareem, or Cowens) have a worse standing than a guy who was amazing but not necessarily dominant than a guy who was playing in the more competitive 80's, like Dr J or Dominique Wilkins?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #407 on: May 16, 2013, 02:36:01 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Question: when you guys Re assembling the players, do the eras the players were dominant in have a significant bearing on who you select?

Example: Does a guy who was dominant pre-merger in the doped up 70's (say, Kareem, or Cowens) have a worse standing than a guy who was amazing but not necessarily dominant than a guy who was playing in the more competitive 80's, like Dr J or Dominique Wilkins?

I know as a panelist I def look at ABA numbers with a jaundiced eye.  As far as drugs, I think the cocaine era went from about 75 to 85, so I don't penalize players from the 70s that much.  One thing I do look at is a teams record.  There were a lot of players putting up monster scoring numbers on terrible teams in this era.  Those players get taken down a peg or two in my book.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:42:30 AM by freshinthehouse »

« Reply #408 on: May 16, 2013, 06:28:04 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I will more than likely miss Friday.  To whom should I send my list?
Send it to me Moranis. I'll do it for you.
Thanks nick.  I will send it tonight.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #409 on: May 16, 2013, 08:14:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'll be looking at the era a little bit when making assessments.

Also, I'll be assuming that all players are playing under 1983 NBA rules.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #410 on: May 16, 2013, 08:28:52 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I've never been quite sure how Era should be involved in these.  For example Shaq and Russel were equally dominant in their era's (Russel probably more dominant than shaq actually) but I don't think there is any scientific way a guy of Russel's stature could hold up against Shaq when both were in their prime. 

Shaq was 4 inches taller and had over 100 pounds on Russel right?

As such, I have always just kinda considered dominance in the era and not held the era against a player.  They can only beat who they play, much like boise state  ;D
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #411 on: May 16, 2013, 08:48:14 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
If Russell had today's training and dietary info at his disposal, my guess is he'd be a bit thicker, kind of in an Alonzo Morning mold.  Alonzo was never big for a center, but he's not someone that got pushed around in the paint.  Now imagine someone Alonzo's size that could jump through the roof and run like a deer.  That would be what a modern day Bill Russell would be like IMO.

« Reply #412 on: May 16, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
If Russell had today's training and dietary info at his disposal, my guess is he'd be a bit thicker, kind of in an Alonzo Morning mold.  Alonzo was never big for a center, but he's not someone that got pushed around in the paint.  Now imagine someone Alonzo's size that could jump through the roof and run like a deer.  That would be what a modern day Bill Russell would be like IMO.

Thats kinda my point, that I compare players dominance in an era rather than how they would match up straight up. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #413 on: May 16, 2013, 09:01:34 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I've never been quite sure how Era should be involved in these.  For example Shaq and Russel were equally dominant in their era's (Russel probably more dominant than shaq actually) but I don't think there is any scientific way a guy of Russel's stature could hold up against Shaq when both were in their prime. 

As such, I have always just kinda considered dominance in the era and not held the era against a player.  They can only beat who they play, much like boise state  ;D
I don't exactly agree with this.

Russell played Wilt a guy almost as big as Shaq and definitely as strong if not stronger, and he played him a lot more regularly than Shaq played the best of the best centers. And Russell broke even or won most of those match ups. I also see that a guy like Ben Wallace, a guy the size of Russell, played Shaq tough once Wallace hit his defensive prime and contained him. Cowens also a small center gave Kareem absolute fits.

I think era can transfer if you are the best of the best.

I do however think both the NBA and the ABA were watered down leagues during their simultaneous existence. The ABA probably was watered down more but for the best of the best, if they were in the NBA during that period instead of the ABA, I really don't think their stats would have been effected that much because the NBA was watered down as well.

So I disagree with Roy in that sense and will probably judge the teams differently because of that.

And this is why when we do this we get a group of panelists. Judging is subjective.

BTW, I am not sure my panelist colleagues agree with me right now but the difference between the teams, as we stand RIGHT NOW, is so minimal as to not exist. The GMing has been superb and the teams are really that close in quality right now.

Its these next 3-5 rounds that I think will create the differences in the teams.

« Reply #414 on: May 16, 2013, 09:08:46 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

I don't exactly agree with this.

Russell played Wilt a guy almost as big as Shaq and definitely as strong if not stronger, and he played him a lot more regularly than Shaq played the best of the best centers. And Russell broke even or won most of those match ups. I also see that a guy like Ben Wallace, a guy the size of Russell, played Shaq tough once Wallace hit his defensive prime and contained him. Cowens also a small center gave Kareem absolute fits.

I think era can transfer if you are the best of the best.

I do however think both the NBA and the ABA were watered down leagues during their simultaneous existence. The ABA probably was watered down more but for the best of the best, if they were in the NBA during that period instead of the ABA, I really don't think their stats would have been effected that much because the NBA was watered down as well.

So I disagree with Roy in that sense and will probably judge the teams differently because of that.

And this is why when we do this we get a group of panelists. Judging is subjective.

BTW, I am not sure my panelist colleagues agree with me right now but the difference between the teams, as we stand RIGHT NOW, is so minimal as to not exist. The GMing has been superb and the teams are really that close in quality right now.

Its these next 3-5 rounds that I think will create the differences in the teams.

Is it too much to ask for a definitive and objective stance on a subjective topic????

« Reply #415 on: May 16, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Washington is going to add another fantastic player today just saying. ;D ;D

« Reply #416 on: May 16, 2013, 09:25:31 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
Getting this in before work. So to kick off round 4, with the 4.1 Washington selects Walter Davis.

« Reply #417 on: May 16, 2013, 09:26:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Bullets have been shooting me requests to pick their guy for about the last 12 hours and have finally convinced me to allow them to pull the trigger. Take your shot Bullets. You are on the clock and this draft is open.

« Reply #418 on: May 16, 2013, 09:27:46 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
Thanks Nick for letting us pick and putting up with us. We're adding Walter Davis.

« Reply #419 on: May 16, 2013, 09:34:58 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
The second pick is on the block im willing to move down but not out of this round