Author Topic: Joel Embiid now "the process"  (Read 50744 times)

Re: Joel Embiid now "the process"
« Reply #285 on: November 03, 2016, 04:10:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sixer point differential 2015-6   -10.2 NBA worst
Sixer point differential 2016-7   -14.0 NBA worst

Smell the potential!
Lol.  It's a few games into the season and half their team is injured.  If someone doesn't see the potential of that team at this point, they are blind.

« Reply #286 on: November 03, 2016, 04:51:21 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601

Smell the potential!
Lol.  It's a few games into the season and half their team is injured.  If someone doesn't see the potential of that team at this point, they are blind.

Potential doesn't always get materialized.

« Reply #287 on: November 03, 2016, 05:39:03 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Smell the potential!

Of course not.  But there's obvious potential there.  They have two players who have legitimate superstar potential.  All you need is one.   Still, you can't judge the team when one of the players isn't even playing and the other has been limited to 21mpg.

« Reply #288 on: November 03, 2016, 07:37:27 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
In conclusion Joel Embiid is the process
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #289 on: November 03, 2016, 09:21:27 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Smell the potential!

Anyone would didn't see Gerald Greens potential was blind...

I feel like 3 years from now you will be saying "just a few more years now...."

« Reply #290 on: November 03, 2016, 09:23:39 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Look at the bright side for the Sixers - another  surefire superstar coming their way through the draft next June.

« Reply #291 on: November 03, 2016, 01:41:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Smell the potential!

SOrry man, but seriously ... if you think Embiid's potential is comparable with Gerald's in 2007, you're out of touch.  Watch him play before commenting on it.  Embiid looks like he should develop into a dominant player on both ends.  Gerald Green could jump and had a nice shooting stroke.

« Reply #292 on: November 03, 2016, 02:19:37 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Smell the potential!

Of course not.  But there's obvious potential there.  They have two players who have legitimate superstar potential.  All you need is one.   Still, you can't judge the team when one of the players isn't even playing and the other has been limited to 21mpg.

ok, but it doesnt always materialize lol.

for the record, though, I've been pleasantly surprised by Embiid. He looks like he's got good touch, and is very, very strong too. He could have a great future if it all goes right.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #293 on: November 03, 2016, 02:44:30 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Smell the potential!

SOrry man, but seriously ... if you think Embiid's potential is comparable with Gerald's in 2007, you're out of touch.  Watch him play before commenting on it.  Embiid looks like he should develop into a dominant player on both ends.  Gerald Green could jump and had a nice shooting stroke.

Obvious trolling is obvious. Do you know what "moving the goalposts" is?

You stated the team has tons of potential.

I stated Gerald green had potential too, as an example of how potential doesn't always pan out.

You then claim I tried to compare Green to Embiid, when your post, the one I responded too, was clearly about the team as a whole, and not any specific player.

Your attempt at bringing down the quality of conversation of this board is working magnifscently.

« Reply #294 on: November 03, 2016, 03:02:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Smell the potential!

Obvious trolling is obvious.
Dude you can't just label every factual comment that upsets you "trolling".   Comparing Embiid to a raw #18 pick like Gerald Green is completely asinine.  When you say things like that, it's YOU that is very clearly trolling. 

« Reply #295 on: November 03, 2016, 03:04:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551

Smell the potential!

I stated Gerald green had potential too, as an example of how potential doesn't always pan out.

You then claim I tried to compare Green to Embiid, when your post, the one I responded too, was clearly about the team as a whole, and not any specific player.

Your attempt at bringing down the quality of conversation of this board is working magnifscently.
He didn't really move the goal posts because your point about Green presumes that Green had the same kind of potential that Embiid, Simmons, Saric, Okafor, and Noel have and that just isn't true and it never was.  Those guys were all lottery picks and high lottery picks (except Saric who wasn't coming over for awhile) for a reason, especially when two of them were injured and were still high lottery picks.  Gerald Green was the 18th pick in a fairly weak draft for a reason.  Sure he had potential, but he never had anywhere near the same type of potential.  No one legitimately thought Green could be a franchise player, while the Sixers have at least two of those guys in Embiid and Simmons.  That is just a whole different type of potential. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #296 on: November 03, 2016, 03:15:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Smell the potential!

He didn't really move the goal posts because your point about Green presumes that Green had the same kind of potential that Embiid, Simmons, Saric, Okafor, and Noel have and that just isn't true and it never was.  Those guys were all lottery picks and high lottery picks (except Saric who wasn't coming over for awhile) for a reason, especially when two of them were injured and were still high lottery picks.  Gerald Green was the 18th pick in a fairly weak draft for a reason.  Sure he had potential, but he never had anywhere near the same type of potential.  No one legitimately thought Green could be a franchise player, while the Sixers have at least two of those guys in Embiid and Simmons.  That is just a whole different type of potential.

Green had potential potential.    Embiid has potential.

« Reply #297 on: November 03, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Smell the potential!

I am afraid I have no idea how you got that from my post.

I was simply making the point that "potential" isn't always reached, so to act like it is a forgone conclusion that potential plays out, is quite foolish..

« Reply #298 on: November 03, 2016, 03:26:49 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Smell the potential!

Green had potential potential.    Embiid has potential.

In the post I made, or responded to, was there even a single mention of Joel?

« Reply #299 on: November 03, 2016, 03:32:24 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Embiid looks good. Still can't say with certainty that he will remain healthy. That's always been the question, because there is no doubt he is a future HOF.

2nd, why are we ignoring the fact that Lbrrd who loves the sixers, have clearly diminished the values of their other centers? According to Lbbrd, wasn't Noel supposed to be a future DOP of the year? He's in his 4th year now and have to say he hasn't been great. So I always take his optimisim with a grain of salt when it comes to Philly.

As you can see below from his advanced stats, Noel hasn't exactly been a great defender. But hey, let's continue to ignore facts.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016_advanced.html

At the end of the day, by the time Philly is good, the Celtics will be rebuilding again and I will probably be done with basketball as I will probably have kids and won't have time to follow the team in the same manner.

Also, if you think a team that doesn't know how to win will magically be a contender the next year is insane. Please look at Minnesota as an example. Even though they have arguably more talent than Philly, and a great coach, they haven't been great tbh. That's because unless the team has a bunch of veterans, it takes talented young players time to win. The Thunder were the exception. And the Thunder were way ahead of Philly in terms of talent. Harden, Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka. Stew Lbrrd, stew.