Author Topic: Tatum's height vs. Horford's height  (Read 1938 times)

Tatum's height vs. Horford's height
« on: December 07, 2018, 07:23:13 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
So after the game last night I noticed Tatum and Horford hugging.  Maybe it was the camera angle but it sure looked like Tatum had Horford by an inch or two.  Did anyone else notice the height comparison?  Will Tatum always be listed at 6'8" for the rest of his career no matter what his actual height may be? 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

Re: Tatum's height vs. Horford's height
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 12:36:11 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I feel like Tatum is closer to 6'9.  But yeah usually the initial rookie height sticks so he's gonna be listed at 6'8 forever.

I mean look at Kevin Durant, he came into the league at 6'9 but anyone can see he is closer to 6'11.  But he will always be listed at 6'9.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:48:44 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Horford is 6'8" shoes off. Been saying this forever. His wingspan is good and he's strong and was a great athlete. But he's 6'8" just like he was predraft.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The last time Tatum was officially measured and the info was public was when he was in high school.  He looks an inch or two taller than that, his wingspan too.  I thought it was obvious when he was at Duke.  I'm not sure he's as tall as Horford though.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 01:57:14 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Horford is 6'8" shoes off. Been saying this forever. His wingspan is good and he's strong and was a great athlete. But he's 6'8" just like he was predraft.

He was 6'8.75" shoes off at the NBA combine.  Per the NBA height listings (in shoes), 6'10" is reasonable.  It's annoying how they do that, but almost every player is listed at 1 or 2 inches taller than their real height.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I pointed this out this summer from the following video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQK7RkZ1ha0

At about 5:05, Tatum makes a fall away on Bamba. There are several seconds where he stands next to Bamba after the play. He looks 1-2 inches shorter at most.

Bamba measured 7'1'' at the combine only a few months before.

There's no doubt in my mind that Tatum is 6'10''. It's his wingspan that I'm curious about. He measured a 7'0'' wingspan in high school, but those gangly arms look a lot longer 3-4 years later.

BTW, Giannis is 6'11'' with a 7'3'' wingspan. 

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 02:18:32 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I think Tatum himself started the speculation that he would continue to grow. I believe he claimed in high school that doctors said that he would grow to 6'10 maybe 6'11. Then there was a rumor that the Celtics thought this might happen too and supposedly his growth plates had still not closed.

It seems that Tatum has definitely grown at least an inch or so since last year, lending credence to those speculated claims. No doubt he is a legit 6'9 (nba standards: on court, in shoes) or perhaps even 6'10 now.

The difference between 6'9 and 6'11 was huge for guys like Giannis and Durant, in my opinion. It made them different players. This is why I think people are so interested in Tatum's height and mythical growth potential.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 04:26:24 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Its just the camera perspective. May have grown a little from his listed 6'8, May be closer to 6'9 be but in comparisons to Hayward for example he doesnt look much taller and Hayward is 6'8. People like to point out that his listed height is taken from when he was 18, but people rarely grow much after about 16 anyway. I think he looks taller because he has long arma and is skinny.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 04:51:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think they're about the same height. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 06:23:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I think they're about the same height.

Yep. Both just shy of 6'9"

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 07:11:23 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I think Tatum announced prior to the season opener that he has grown to 6-9. Other than that I go by the players listed height with sneakers on. That's the way they play...sneakers on.