Author Topic: If you are the Cavs gm, do you use 2018 Nets 1st to upgrade team?  (Read 6157 times)

Re: If you are the Cavs gm, do you use 2018 Nets 1st to upgrade team?
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2018, 03:07:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
That pick is not going to give them anything that enables them to beat Boston or GS. They must keep the pick to rebuild when LJ leaves
Based on what I see on FearTheSword, Cavs fans feel that  they're still the team to beat in the East, but are now worried that Toronto may give them serious resistance in coming out of the East...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2018, 03:34:38 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
That pick is not going to give them anything that enables them to beat Boston or GS. They must keep the pick to rebuild when LJ leaves

Agreed (though not sure about Boston). If Brooklyn were clearly the worst team in the league, then maybe they could trade it for some legit help.  But as it is that pick could land anywhere from 1 to 10, and no team will give up much for that much uncertainty.

So the Cave should keep the pick and pray for another Nets injury and hope the pick lands between 1 and 6...which at the worst (#6) would land them Porter, Trae Young, Doncic or Bamba.  s

No way to beat the Warriors this year and no way to get better enough next year.  If it were possible the franchise would best off trading Lebron (might as well add Wade too) right now. 

Teams with pieces (and/or picks) to give that could become contenders this year by adding Lebron/Wade:   1. Denver  2. Portland 3. Milwaukee

(not saying Cave can get equal value for Lebron, they can't.  Just a different way to start over than letting him walk away.)

Idea with Milwaukee:
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9v79juu

Brogdon, Dellavedova
Wade, Snell, Korver
Antetokounpo, Crowder, Korver
Lebron, Antetokounpo, Maker
Henson, Plumlee, Maker

One superstar always on the floor.  Small ball options against GS small ball (lebron verses Draymond and Antetokounpo verses Durant)

Cleveland gets Bledsoe, Middleton, a first round pick, Parker....and gets worse so that their own pick is better...

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Agreed (though not sure about Boston). If Brooklyn were clearly the worst team in the league, then maybe they could trade it for some legit help.  But as it is that pick could land anywhere from 1 to 10, and no team will give up much for that much uncertainty.

So the Cave should keep the pick and pray for another Nets injury and hope the pick lands between 1 and 6...which at the worst (#6) would land them Porter, Trae Young, Doncic or Bamba.  s

No way to beat the Warriors this year and no way to get better enough next year.  If it were possible the franchise would best off trading Lebron (might as well add Wade too) right now. 

Teams with pieces (and/or picks) to give that could become contenders this year by adding Lebron/Wade:   1. Denver  2. Portland 3. Milwaukee

(not saying Cave can get equal value for Lebron, they can't.  Just a different way to start over than letting him walk away.)

Idea with Milwaukee:
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9v79juu

Brogdon, Dellavedova
Wade, Snell, Korver
Antetokounpo, Crowder, Korver
Lebron, Antetokounpo, Maker
Henson, Plumlee, Maker

One superstar always on the floor.  Small ball options against GS small ball (lebron verses Draymond and Antetokounpo verses Durant)

Cleveland gets Bledsoe, Middleton, a first round pick, Parker....and gets worse so that their own pick is better...

I don’t see how Milwaukee becomes a contender with that trade. Giannis (my personal pick for most overrated player in the league) is not the ideal guy to pair with LeBron. He needs shooters. Not a penetrate and kick out to a guy looking to penetrate. I really don’t see how they coexist offensively.

As for Milwaukee, perhaps they get a little run in them and make the Finals, where they get waxed by GSW, no doubt. Then LeBron leaves (because who wants to play for Kidd in Milwaukee?), and they are left with what in return for Bledsoe, Middleton, Parker, and Teletovic?

I believe LeBron has a NTC and I’m sure if he gets moved, it’s not to a 23-20 team with a egomaniac head coach.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 04:11:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Anybody good ....especically defense top player is gonna cost Cavs minimum their own pick and players .

A super good two way player .....will cost the Nets pick

Other GMs know Cavs in bind .   And cavs teams to deal with is limited .....playoff opponents aren't going to strengthen the Cavs .  At least top 5 teams in east and west.

GMs are gonna want that Nets pick for most trades envolving helpful assets ,  Cavs are in a bind , everybody knows it ....they can't get top dollar ....First because a 1-5 pick is no a guaranteed thing .  6-12 is most likey  and Cavs stand to loose the best player in rthe NBA if they screw this up .

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2018, 04:22:27 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Use it - what's the point of hanging on to it "just in case" Lebron leave? It is exceedingly unlikely (though, sure, not impossible) that they'll land a future All-NBA talent in the mid-to-late lottery as the Nets pick is projected. Plus, second half of the season is when these tanking teams get wide-eyed at top-3 picks. Nets are going to outplay a lot of these other bottom-dwellers.

On the other hand, if you dangle that pick and get someone decent in return, you might actually get to run it back for another shot at the title. This is Cleveland... you think the fans and ownership are saying, "Hey, one is enough, let Lebron walk and we can rebuild again" ? No way. Run it back, and maybe you find a guy who is going to be an asset in the post-Lebron era when you could have an IT/Love core. The right mix of players around that is still a playoff team.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2018, 05:31:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Cavs fans feel that  they're still the team to beat in the East, but are now worried that Toronto may give them serious resistance in coming out of the East...

Cavs fans could be wrong and they have been in the past quite a few times.   Still, So far they have had our number in the playoffs and until we beat them there they won't respect us.   Still, they are LeBron leaving or an injury away from being a very bad team.

Use it - what's the point of hanging on to it "just in case" Lebron leave? It is exceedingly unlikely (though, sure, not impossible) that they'll land a future All-NBA talent in the mid-to-late lottery as the Nets pick is projected. Plus, second half of the season is when these tanking teams get wide-eyed at top-3 picks. Nets are going to outplay a lot of these other bottom-dwellers.

On the other hand, if you dangle that pick and get someone decent in return, you might actually get to run it back for another shot at the title. This is Cleveland... you think the fans and ownership are saying, "Hey, one is enough, let Lebron walk and we can rebuild again" ? No way. Run it back, and maybe you find a guy who is going to be an asset in the post-Lebron era when you could have an IT/Love core. The right mix of players around that is still a playoff team.

Dan Brown is a businessman and he could care less if LeBron wins another title.   He has a business to run.   He won his title, have you seen some of their moves, firing a coach that LeBron liked.  Loading the team with bad contracts, trading Kyrie and you can see winning is not a priority for him.  LeBron left him once and he fears he may again.   Why would he help him win another title.   LeBron 's game is going to head into decline it may be heading there now.   I think LeBron has padded his stats at the expense of the team already this year.

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
If I was CLE, I would trade the pick and Thompson to NOP for Cousins and then make one last run with LeBron.  If LeBron leaves (and likely IT and Wade), that one pick isn't going to mean squat in trying to rebuild.  This is likely their last hurrah so might as well go all in.

But does NOP do it?   They are on the verge of being in the playoffs at last.   Why take a step back at this point?

I don't know of course but Cousins is in the final year of his contract it is hard for me to believe that he is going to stick around.  It seems highly likely he walks.  I think it is pretty good for NOP to get Thompson and that pick for him under the circumstances.

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2018, 06:09:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The only guy who could really thread the needle for this Cleveland team is Cousins.

But, he's likely NOT available as the Pelicans are looking to make the playoffs this season.

DeAndre Jordan could help Cleveland, especially inside and on defense, but I don't think he really threads the needle (maybe at best, forces a Finals series vs. Warriors to go 5 games?)

But even Jordan is no sure bet to get traded, as Clippers are looking to make a playoff push as well.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller