Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 245069 times)

Re: More Robert Williams please....
« Reply #1485 on: December 10, 2018, 11:39:11 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
So it's kinda easy to see why Stevens isn't giving rotation minutes over Baynes, Theis and Horford. He is extremely limited offensively. He ball watches a bunch and tried to block everything underneath, often leaving his man for a weak side block only to have it dished to his man for the score. He got lost some.

But, and this is a huge but, his man on man defense is excellent, he has good court vision, he will be one of the best rim protectors in the league in a couple years, his effort is off the charts and his potential for growth is exceptional.

He won't be getting tons of time this year when everyone is healthy, but in a year or two, watch out. He is going to be a great player. Just have to have patience and trust in Brad to fully develop him.

My thoughts exactly, TP. He needs to develop a post game which I'm sure he will. Or maybe he's just afraid to show it to us at this point given how many other options are on the floor at any given time. He was getting bumped off a little bit on defense in the post as well. But the potential is really exciting and he seems to have a really laid back mindset and willing to learn. He's a pretty good passer as well.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1486 on: December 10, 2018, 11:40:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
So it's kinda easy to see why Stevens isn't giving rotation minutes over Baynes, Theis and Horford.

Nick, I couldn’t disagree with you more. Tonight’s game is just further proof that he should be getting more minutes. You are in the minority on this opinion.

« Reply #1487 on: December 10, 2018, 11:41:03 PM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
his effort is off the charts and his potential for growth is exceptional.

Glad to hear this for sleepy Rob. His motor was in question before, but he's been getting positive comments about his work ethic since joining. Excited to watch him play 20+ mins (missed the game today to work).

« Reply #1488 on: December 10, 2018, 11:43:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's fun to watch.  Like a less skilled Nerlens Noel.

« Reply #1489 on: December 10, 2018, 11:49:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So it's kinda easy to see why Stevens isn't giving rotation minutes over Baynes, Theis and Horford.

Nick, I couldn’t disagree with you more. Tonight’s game is just further proof that he should be getting more minutes. You are in the minority on this opinion.
Yeah, I doubt I am in the minority. Theis, Baynes and Horford are just miles better than Williams at this point and will and should get the minutes. Williams will have his time eventually, but not this year. Too much vet talent that plays great, smart, winning basketball in front of him.

Boston is really deep. If Williams was on the Lakers, Clippers, Indiana, OKC, a couple of other playoff teams and just about every non playoff team, he would be getting solid rotational minutes. But he plays for the deepest team in the league and his coach looks at him as the 14th player in the rotation and has deemed him not ready.

« Reply #1490 on: December 10, 2018, 11:56:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Yeah, I doubt I am in the minority. Theis, Baynes and Horford are just miles better than Williams at this point and will and should get the minutes. Williams will have his time eventually, but not this year. Too much vet talent that plays great, smart, winning basketball in front of him.

Boston is really deep. If Williams was on the Lakers, Clippers, Indiana, OKC, a couple of other playoff teams and just about every non playoff team, he would be getting solid rotational minutes. But he plays for the deepest team in the league and his coach looks at him as the 14th player in the rotation and has deemed him not ready.
Whether or not you’re in the minority is debatable.

What’s not is that you are just flat out wrong. To suggest that Williams doesn’t deserve minutes after a night like this i find baffling.

« Reply #1491 on: December 11, 2018, 12:05:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Not sure what skills you mean. His sweet jumper?

« Reply #1492 on: December 11, 2018, 12:05:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

What’s not is that you are just flat out wrong. To suggest that Williams doesn’t deserve minutes after a night like this i find baffling.
Well Brad Stevens doesn't find it baffling, but what the hell does he know. I think Baynes has had much better games than this one by Williams. Theis has too. As well as Horford. Doesn't that mean, by your logic they should be getting a bunch of playing time
because the individual games they had were ridiculously better than this game by Williams. I mean, if Williams is getting minutes, who do you sit when everyone everyone is healthy? Baynes? Theis? Horford? They are all better than Williams and have earned their minutes. Williams needs to wait for his opportunity. It's just that simple.

« Reply #1493 on: December 11, 2018, 12:08:30 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Maybe a more athletic, less fragile Embiid??
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #1494 on: December 11, 2018, 12:15:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Well Brad Stevens doesn't find it baffling, but what the hell does he know. I think Baynes has had much better games than this one by Williams. Theis has too. As well as Horford. Doesn't that mean, by your logic they should be getting a bunch of playing time
because the individual games they had were ridiculously better than this game by Williams. I mean, if Williams is getting minutes, who do you sit when everyone everyone is healthy? Baynes? Theis? Horford? They are all better than Williams and have earned their minutes. Williams needs to wait for his opportunity. It's just that simple.

Williams outplayed Theis tonight, so this is probably not the night to proclaim that he (or Baynes) is “miles better”.

Let’s see how Brad uses Williams going forward. Brad also starts Smart, a guy you wanted traded since he was drafted. My point is just because Brad plays or doesn’t play someone doesn’t means it’s what I (or you) would like to see in every case.

« Reply #1495 on: December 11, 2018, 12:34:15 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
impressive, but  i still don't trust him off the court yet.   talk to me in 5 years.

« Reply #1496 on: December 11, 2018, 12:35:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Williams outplayed Theis tonight, so this is probably not the night to proclaim that he (or Baynes) is “miles better”.

Let’s see how Brad uses Williams going forward. Brad also starts Smart, a guy you wanted traded since he was drafted. My point is just because Brad plays or doesn’t play someone doesn’t means it’s what I (or you) would like to see in every case.
Tonight probably isn't the night to talk about Williams being better than Theis. How about the next time Williams puts up 22 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 blocks and posts a +50, you can say how much better Williams is over Theis.

« Reply #1497 on: December 11, 2018, 01:08:45 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
With Yabu out for a while I'm guessing we will finally see more Robert Williams.
Or Horford and Baynes will get healthy quick and the bigs rotation will be Horford, Morris, Baynes, Theis Ojeleye and Williams will never see the floor

Tonight, Williams had 7 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 1 steal in 26 minutes against the best big in the game.

« Reply #1498 on: December 11, 2018, 01:42:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
With Yabu out for a while I'm guessing we will finally see more Robert Williams.
Or Horford and Baynes will get healthy quick and the bigs rotation will be Horford, Morris, Baynes, Theis Ojeleye and Williams will never see the floor

Tonight, Williams had 7 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 1 steal in 26 minutes against the best big in the game.
You mean the big that had 41 points tonight?

« Reply #1499 on: December 11, 2018, 01:58:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Hey, I love Williams.  Go look in my posts about a year ago in a thread asking who could be a dark horse that could become a top two pick. I talked about Robert Williams.  Saw him many times his freshman year and thought he could be special. Still think he can be special.

But he didn't develop his sophomore year and so he dropped to the C's. I was ecstatic about getting him. I think Brad will develop him into a stud. I could see him easily being the Cs center for the next decade. I am psyched to see what he becomes.

But clearly, the coaching staff sees him as the 14th player in the rotation. They clearly see Horford, Baynes and Theis as better players. And I agree with them. Should Stevens throw him a bonus run every once in a while for showing progress in practice and off the court? Absolutely!!!

But this is a title contending team and this is an amazingly deep team. Loads of talented vets and youth that has proven themselves, even in the playoffs. Williams isn't better than those pros and shouldn't be getting big minutes to develop under fire for this team as they try to win the #1 seed in the conference and then the title. You have to go with the better vets.