Author Topic: Celtics could still be in the running for CP3? according to Bulpett  (Read 14782 times)

Re: Celtics could still be in the running for CP3? according to Bulpett
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Forsberg: C's officially announce their remaining moves: signing Pavlovic, Johnson, & Moore; completing Bass trade. Should be a full-house practice

That means any CP3 trade can't contain the following players:

Green (for 90 days, and not without consent)
Johnson (30 days)
Moore (30 days)
Bass (can't be traded in combination with other players for 60 days)

Somehow, I don't think Rondo + Bradley is going to get it done.  The dream is dead.

Or, the dream is delayed until the deadline.  At which point others may have moved on, and Danny may be ready to swoop in.

It doesn't sound like the league has much interest in moving Paul at the moment anyways.  So, perhaps getting close to the deadline (and maybe a real owner?) will help them become a little more reasonable.

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Forsberg: C's officially announce their remaining moves: signing Pavlovic, Johnson, & Moore; completing Bass trade. Should be a full-house practice

Johnson (30 days)
Moore (30 days)

Somehow, I don't think Rondo + Bradley is going to get it done.  The dream is dead.

Lol no love for JO? I agree with you though. The reality of our current situation is tough. Really not cool how the West situation went down. To really have a shot at the title this year I thought we had to land CP3 and keep the Big 3. Then when that didn't happen but the David West deal was apparently going to I thought we were right there with Miami and the Bulls. Yet now if this is the team we go into the playoffs with I don't think it's happening. Oh well at least LA basically has no chance with the way they are constructed either, so 17 is still safe.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 03:33:57 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Johnson (30 days)
Moore (30 days)

Or, the dream is delayed until the deadline.  At which point others may have moved on, and Danny may be ready to swoop in.

It doesn't sound like the league has much interest in moving Paul at the moment anyways.  So, perhaps getting close to the deadline (and maybe a real owner?) will help them become a little more reasonable.

Fair points. We just need to be patient and see I guess.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Chris Paul at the dealine I really dont like it unless he signs a extension prior to trade. He wouldnt get invested enough in Boston so close to the end of the season. He would already smell N.Y.

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 03:37:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Johnson (30 days)
Moore (30 days)

Roy, I'm wondering, why is the Jeff Green possibility have to be with his consent? I thought consent was only if he signed a qualifying offer. Is it because of his Bird rights?

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 03:44:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Johnson (30 days)
Moore (30 days)

I don't blame Danny, with the way things have unfolded with CP3 and the league office best to move on.

Still sucks about missing on David West though...

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Chris Paul at the dealine I really dont like it unless he signs a extension prior to trade. He wouldnt get invested enough in Boston so close to the end of the season. He would already smell N.Y.

But NY would have no way to sign him, unless he would take the MLE (which would be so shocking, I would give up those pieces just to see it happen).

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Johnson (30 days)
Moore (30 days)

I can't wait for this nightmare to end.  This whole thing is truly nauseating.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Johnson (30 days)
Moore (30 days)

Roy, I'm wondering, why is the Jeff Green possibility have to be with his consent? I thought consent was only if he signed a qualifying offer. Is it because of his Bird rights?

All players playing on one year deals who would have either Bird rights or Early Bird rights can't be traded without their consent.  For whatever reason, the trade extinguishes their rights and makes them non-Bird free agents.

Here's Larry Coon on the subject:

88. When can't a player be traded? ...

Without the player's consent when the player is playing under a one-year contract (excluding any option year) and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the season. This includes first round draft picks following their fourth (option) season, who accept their team's qualifying offer for their fifth season. When the player consents to such a trade, the team loses its Larry Bird/Early Bird rights, and the player is considered a Non-Bird free agent. Note: when there is an option year involved, they can get around this regulation by invoking the option prior to the trade.

https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm#Q88

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 04:13:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Johnson (30 days)
Moore (30 days)

All players playing on one year deals who would have either Bird rights or Early Bird rights can't be traded without their consent.  For whatever reason, the trade extinguishes their rights and makes them non-Bird free agents.

Without the player's consent when the player is playing under a one-year contract (excluding any option year) and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the season. This includes first round draft picks following their fourth (option) season, who accept their team's qualifying offer for their fifth season. When the player consents to such a trade, the team loses its Larry Bird/Early Bird rights, and the player is considered a Non-Bird free agent. Note: when there is an option year involved, they can get around this regulation by invoking the option prior to the trade.

Right.  But, with him signed at $9+ million, he could just be resigned by NOH (or whichever 3rd team wanted him) for 120% of his salary, which will be more than he would get on the open market anyways.  So, unless he just really hated the team that wanted to trade for him, I can't see him vetoing a trade.

Danny is setting the table to trade him IMO.

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 04:15:23 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
Looks like league is saying it won't let CP dictate that NO trade him where he wants to go. Looks like they may make him become FA and

Settle for teams with cap room or take far less $ to pick his spot. Or stay in NO for biggest payday. This must be about principle not bball

Ridiculous.  This whole thing is putting the entire NBA into chaos and undermining the credibility of the league.

Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Looks like league is saying it won't let CP dictate that NO trade him where he wants to go. Looks like they may make him become FA and

Settle for teams with cap room or take far less $ to pick his spot. Or stay in NO for biggest payday. This must be about principle not bball

Ridiculous.  This whole thing is putting the entire NBA into chaos and undermining the credibility of the league.

That sounds like Broussard either opining, or spouting the opinion of an agent or player.

I don't think Paul will finish the season on the Hornets.  It would devalue them too much.

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706

How is it undermining the credibility of the league? If anything it is improving the credibility. Players under contract should never be allowed to demand trades AND decide where to be traded to. Stern took a huge step in the right direction by rejecting the lakers-houston-NO deal. That was a travesty to the league and would have sunk whatever credibility was left. If Paul wants to play somewhere else then he should wait until the end of the season and chose from the offers he receives as an UFA like everyone else. He shouldn't bail on his contract and try to make his team trade him to a team that already has great players and not much to offer in return for him.

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Meanwhile, the Hornets have only 5 players under contract for the coming season (Paul, Okafor, Ariza, Jack, and Pondexter), plus a QO they have yet to offer to Belinelli.

How will the Hornets fill out their roster and meet minimum payroll benchmarks? I've heard GMs are getting sick of the circus in NO, and I can't see agents wanting to negotiate with Stern and Company on behalf of their FA clients.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Johnson (30 days)
Moore (30 days)

Right.  But, with him signed at $9+ million, he could just be resigned by NOH (or whichever 3rd team wanted him) for 120% of his salary, which will be more than he would get on the open market anyways.  So, unless he just really hated the team that wanted to trade for him, I can't see him vetoing a trade.

Danny is setting the table to trade him IMO.

Perhaps, although under existing rules, we wouldn't be able to trade him until March 12 -- i.e., after the trade deadline.  I'll be curious to see if any of the deadlines were adjusted due to the season's late start.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes