Author Topic: This is not a coaching issue  (Read 1418 times)

Re: This is not a coaching issue
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 10:43:55 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
This is part coaching sorry to say. How are you allowing the team to keep jacking 3s and not emphasis something else? How can you not bench guys who aren't playing hard? How are marginal guards having career games against us?

Its thought to say but it is partly a coaching issue. Everyone likes Steven's but this is on Steven's and Kyrie to figure out...they are the leaders and the star PG should translate what the coach wants.

I really hope that we don’t have a coach, when faced with adversity will emphasize “something else”.  You have to have a philosophy and make incremental adjustments as needed.  And as I’ve said before, forcing the ball to the rim (for example) is not going to work either.  What we need to do first and foremost is make shots we should make.

And therein lies the issue IMO.  The fit is causing chemistry issues.  I’m seeing guys drive and kick multiple times in a possession because guys are taking the open shot.  That’s just terrible offense.  We need catch and shoot guys that aren’t so hot and cold (e.g., brown and rozier).

When you take the ball to the basket, it does two things. It helps  your mentality to be aggressive and it helps get easy baskets. You always want to work inside then out.

Percentages say a 5-8 ft shot is much easier than a 15- 20 ft shot.
We’re driving to the rim and kicking it out when the defense closes.  Then the next guy drives and kicks.  Then the next guy drives and kicks.  We need guys that will take and make the shot the first time because we’re not getting easy shots at the rim.

But I understand that guys can be more aggressive.  But again, we were like 1 for 17 at some point today.  Should we not take threes at all?  Or, how about we make more that 1 out of 17?  I think would be a lot better.

Either way, we need to run the offense and take the best shots.

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 10:49:09 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Blow it up?
#TankForZion
#letsgrosslyoverreactandrunincirclesandscreamandshout

talk about over reactionary hyperbole eh? LOL

i agree

tank? nuts
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 11:00:16 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
This is part coaching sorry to say. How are you allowing the team to keep jacking 3s and not emphasis something else? How can you not bench guys who aren't playing hard? How are marginal guards having career games against us?

Its thought to say but it is partly a coaching issue. Everyone likes Steven's but this is on Steven's and Kyrie to figure out...they are the leaders and the star PG should translate what the coach wants.

I really hope that we don’t have a coach, when faced with adversity will emphasize “something else”.  You have to have a philosophy and make incremental adjustments as needed.  And as I’ve said before, forcing the ball to the rim (for example) is not going to work either.  What we need to do first and foremost is make shots we should make.

And therein lies the issue IMO.  The fit is causing chemistry issues.  I’m seeing guys drive and kick multiple times in a possession because guys are taking the open shot.  That’s just terrible offense.  We need catch and shoot guys that aren’t so hot and cold (e.g., brown and rozier).

When you take the ball to the basket, it does two things. It helps  your mentality to be aggressive and it helps get easy baskets. You always want to work inside then out.

We’re driving to the rim and kicking it out when the defense closes.  Then the next guy drives and kicks.  Then the next guy drives and kicks.  We need guys that will take and make the shot the first time because we’re not getting easy shots at the rim.

But I understand that guys can be more aggressive.  But again, we were like 1 for 17 at some point today.  Should we not take threes at all?  Or, how about we make more that 1 out of 17?  I think would be a lot better.

What offense? It's just read and react offense and jack a 3 They are really running any plays, looking for mismatches or drawing fouls.

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 11:00:36 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
It’s a team composition/chemistry issue.  The pieces don’t fit well and guys like rozier who isn’t good enough to be a lead dog don’t know how to be a role player.  A shake up is badly needed.

yeah i see danny making changes. he won't sit and watch this talent be squandered when we made ECF last two years with less talent

some pieces just are not fitting but plenty is on coaching also

It's part everything. The whole of the team is is less than the sum of the parts, looks dispirited and unmotivated for large stretches of the game, particularly when they start missing shots. Then it all cascades down to the defensive end. Failing to fight through simple screens, getting burned on pick and roll and pick and pop plays, not showing enough hustle and commitment on defense. Brad bears responsibility for failing to synthesize this team into a coherent whole and for not being able to motivate them to excel, and for not making hard decisions to jolt the team out of complacency, while the players bear responsibility for missing open shots, not wanting to drive to the rim, and for not putting in the effort on the defensive end, and waiting till the end of the game to actually start playing.

When they are switched on and committed they can beat anyone, but if they're not anyone can beat them - even lottery teams can build leads of 26 points.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 11:01:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Blow it up?
#TankForZion

i agree

tank? nuts
Haha, I was kidding. I still think we can figure it out. In CBS and Ainge I trust. After criticising the draft night trade and the Kyrie trade I'm just going to let them do their thing.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 11:17:58 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Blow it up?
#TankForZion

i agree

tank? nuts
Haha, I was kidding. I still think we can figure it out. In CBS and Ainge I trust. After criticising the draft night trade and the Kyrie trade I'm just going to let them do their thing.

lol
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 12:03:14 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

When a team is still bad at 3-point shooting nearly a quarter of the way through the regular season, I think it's fair and legitimate to question whether open threes are, in fact, good shots for that team. People keep calling open threes "good shots," but I think they may need to alter their definition of what constitutes a "good shot."

This is not just a little slump that Boston is experiencing—it's been virtually the entire team, for nearly a quarter of the season, struggling to make open threes (or open shots of any kind, really). Right now, an open three really isn't a good shot for this team, and simply continuing to chuck 30 or 40 of them a game isn't going to suddenly turn them into good shots.

Some people keep bringing up how this team was so much better at 3pt shooting last year, and surely they'll snap out of this flukey funk any game now ... but has anyone stopped to consider that the fluke might've been last season? What if guys like Tatum and Brown and Horford really aren't great 3pt shooters and are regressing to their respective means? Horford, for example, shot nearly 43% on threes last year ... but his career percentage is only 36. Brown shot 39.5% last season, but in his rookie season shot only 34%. Tatum shot a whopping 43.4% last season as a rookie, but maybe he benefitted from lower expectations and now is having trouble handling the pressure.

Anyway, I think living and dying by the three is a bad strategy unless you're Golden State; it's predictable, it's inefficient, and it's lazy.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 12:16:37 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

When a team is still bad at 3-point shooting nearly a quarter of the way through the regular season, I think it's fair and legitimate to question whether open threes are, in fact, good shots for that team. People keep calling open threes "good shots," but I think they may need to alter their definition of what constitutes a "good shot."

This is not just a little slump that Boston is experiencing—it's been virtually the entire team, for nearly a quarter of the season, struggling to make open threes (or open shots of any kind, really). Right now, an open three really isn't a good shot for this team, and simply continuing to chuck 30 or 40 of them a game isn't going to suddenly turn them into good shots.

Some people keep bringing up how this team was so much better at 3pt shooting last year, and surely they'll snap out of this flukey funk any game now ... but has anyone stopped to consider that the fluke might've been last season? What if guys like Tatum and Brown and Horford really aren't great 3pt shooters and are regressing to their respective means? Horford, for example, shot nearly 43% on threes last year ... but his career percentage is only 36. Brown shot 39.5% last season, but in his rookie season shot only 34%. Tatum shot a whopping 43.4% last season as a rookie, but maybe he benefitted from lower expectations and now is having trouble handling the pressure.

Anyway, I think living and dying by the three is a bad strategy unless you're Golden State; it's predictable, it's inefficient, and it's lazy.
Here’s the issue though.  If we can’t shoot threes a high rate, then THATS the problem.  Then you’re reduced to putting lipstick on a pig because that would mean the team would have a huge wart that they would need to overcome.  So no, you’re not going to scheme yourself into a championship level team if indeed this team can’t hit open threes.