Author Topic: Nuggets Trade Idea  (Read 2193 times)

Nuggets Trade Idea
« on: September 17, 2021, 09:13:19 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
IMO Nuggets have a few key issues going forward, most notably, depth & defence...but perhaps this could amend both?

------------------

Denver Nuggets: Dejounte Murray, Derrick White, 2022 2nd round pick, 2023 2nd round pick

San Antonio Spurs: Jamal Murray, Bol Bol

------------------

Nuggets

Jokic
Gordon
Porter Jr
Barton
Murray

White, Green, Morris, Rivers, Green, Campazzo, Dozier
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:21:05 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Nuggets Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 09:18:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Nuggets are super high on the Jokic, Porter, Murray core going forward. I doubt they move Murray for an inferior player because they want a bit more defense and because they don't want to wait until Murray is healthy in January or February.

Denver would hang up that phone fast, especially given the lack of substantial 1st round picks.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 09:41:20 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Nuggets are super high on the Jokic, Porter, Murray core going forward. I doubt they move Murray for an inferior player because they want a bit more defense and because they don't want to wait until Murray is healthy in January or February.

Denver would hang up that phone fast, especially given the lack of substantial 1st round picks.

I understand, but my thinking is the long term cost effectiveness of the Jokic, Porter, Murray core.

The Nuggets just extended Gordon to an expensive long term deal, Porter's contract is up in the off-season and he will expect a max (or close to) offer and Jokic is currently eligible for a super-max extension. This would be a huge wage bill for a small market team, especially one that has only payed the luxury tax 3 times (2006-07, 2007-08 and 2009-10) since Stan Kroenke took over in 2000.

Dejounte Murray makes half Jamal Murray's wage and has the needed skillset in which to elevate Denver into contention.

This trade would completely depend on the Denver's confidence in MPJ and his health, but with MPJ's improved scoring and elevated role, he's made Jamal somewhat redundant IMO and their true area of concern is defence (11th in defensive rating).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:09:39 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 12:11:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Denver is the 19th biggest MSA, is that considered a small market these days?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 12:23:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Also, 11th best in defensive rating isn't bad, it's actually very good, and does not equate to being a key issue with the team. It's just outside the top 10 and if their defensive rating was just 1 point better, they would be a top 7 best defensive team in the league. You don't trade away a potential superstar to get a little bit better on defense.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 12:28:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Jamal Murray was an emerging star before his injury.  Denver would not make that trade, nor should they.   His market value is equivalent at least to that of Jaylen Brown (I like Brown more, but just saying market value wise). 

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 12:37:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Jamal Murray was an emerging star before his injury.  Denver would not make that trade, nor should they.   His market value is equivalent at least to that of Jaylen Brown (I like Brown more, but just saying market value wise).
Yup. Brown, Jamal Murray, Donovan Mitchell and probably Trae Young now that he sniffed some playoff success, all have very similar trade value and it's higher than Dejonte Murray, parts and a 2nd rounder.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 01:18:59 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I echo what most others said.  And they don't really need depth at PG when they have very solid backups at both guard positions already.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 01:40:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I do wonder if a Murray for Simmons swap is being considered.  That strikes me as a trade that could really help both teams as the Nuggets could use Simmons defensive versatility and with the continued emergence of Porter the scoring difference isn't as big a deal as it might otherwise have been.  On the other side, the Sixers could absolutely use the much better scoring that Murray provides.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip