Author Topic: Trade for Kawhi?  (Read 17387 times)

Re: Trade for Kawhi?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2018, 11:27:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm confused. He doesn't like playing for arguably one of the greatest coaches and for one of the best run franchises that win 50 games a season even in their offseasons?

Does he not like basketball anymore?
Gotta be a ton of behind the scenes stuff going on that hasn't gotten out yet. Not every team is the Cavs where the basic day to day happens off the court are reported. Wouldn't be the first time a great player decided they wanted to get out from under a great coach or situation.

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2018, 12:13:13 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I heard on a podcast that if he gets out its to find a way back to California.
Well if you heard it on some podcast then it must be true. Especially since he’s going to be a free agent. Oh wait, he’s under contract? Then he must have a no trade clause. No? Oh yeah that’s right. He can’t choose where he gets traded. This is real life, not MyCareer in NBA2k18.

He is only signed through next season. If SAS wants to maximize their return, they had better be sure that the team acquiring him would feel good about re-signing him. Lots of players give a 'list' of teams they would agree to be traded to. If he doesn't get traded to one of those destinations, he can just go there as a FA (provided one of those teams have the cap space) in 2019.
The Spurs don’t give a sh*t about how the team acquiring him feels about re-signing him. They would only care about the package they are getting in return. The Celtics are going to open their treasure chest if it means getting a guy like Kawhi or AD, even if they don’t commit on the spot about resigning in 2 years. That’s actually exactly what we’re trying to do, and exactly what we did Kyrie. We weren’t even on his first list of teams he wanted to be traded to.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2018, 04:08:16 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Hypothetically speaking can you imagine a big three of Irving, Leonard & Davis...most probably the greatest big three ever.

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2018, 07:07:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Hypothetically speaking can you imagine a big three of Irving, Leonard & Davis...most probably the greatest big three ever.

I could sacrifice Yabu to have that .. :)

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2018, 07:32:48 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Morris, Rozier, Brown, Yabusele, 2019 Kings Pick + Another Future 1st.

That's probably what we can offer this summer if we wanted Kawhi, and maybe Spurs accept?

But frankly, I think this is more smokescreen. Don't see Kawhi acting this way (acting "selfish") and think Spurs keep him long term still.

That is a joke package for a player some consider top-5 in the league, and the best 2-way player besides Lebron.

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2018, 08:05:33 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

That's probably what we can offer this summer if we wanted Kawhi, and maybe Spurs accept?

But frankly, I think this is more smokescreen. Don't see Kawhi acting this way (acting "selfish") and think Spurs keep him long term still.

That is a joke package for a player some consider top-5 in the league, and the best 2-way player besides Lebron.

I wouldn't call it a joke package. Butler was traded for Dunn, LaVine + exchanging 16th for 7th pick. And it was considered one of the better returns for an All Star in comparison with the (apparent) marginal return for Cousins and George later.

We can easily see that this proposed package for Leonard by Phantom is way better than what Chicago got for Butler (which it should). I would value it as follows: Rozier<=Dunn, Brown>LaVine, '19 Kings + Morris + Yabusele + Future 1st>>draft pick exchange.

So if Leonard wants out I think this is a decent offer. Who is going to offer more? Will LA offer at least two of Ball, Ingram and Kuzma for instance? Philadelphia would certainly give up Fultz, Saric, Korkmaz, '18 Lakers + Future 1st, so that would probably be the biggest rival (and Leonard joining Embiid and Simmons is a scary thought!). Phoenix also has a lot of assets, but I'm not sure Leonard wants to go there.

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2018, 08:32:44 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

I wouldn't call it a joke package. Butler was traded for Dunn, LaVine + exchanging 16th for 7th pick. And it was considered one of the better returns for an All Star in comparison with the (apparent) marginal return for Cousins and George later.

We can easily see that this proposed package for Leonard by Phantom is way better than what Chicago got for Butler (which it should). I would value it as follows: Rozier<=Dunn, Brown>LaVine, '19 Kings + Morris + Yabusele + Future 1st>>draft pick exchange.

So if Leonard wants out I think this is a decent offer. Who is going to offer more? Will LA offer at least two of Ball, Ingram and Kuzma for instance? Philadelphia would certainly give up Fultz, Saric, Korkmaz, '18 Lakers + Future 1st, so that would probably be the biggest rival (and Leonard joining Embiid and Simmons is a scary thought!). Phoenix also has a lot of assets, but I'm not sure Leonard wants to go there.

Leonard is >>>>>> than Butler. It's hard to compare the two. On a strictly Butler-esque scale, it's a pretty good package, but prices for stars tend to grow exponentially, not incrementally. The best thing that a team that traded for him would have going (in terms of keeping the price low) is that he only has one year left on his contract.

Having said that, while I think that a Kawhi trade is a fun topic to kick around during a slow period of news from the NBA, that's all that this likely is. I doubt he's going anywhere.

Mike

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2018, 08:38:01 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Well if you heard it on some podcast then it must be true. Especially since he’s going to be a free agent. Oh wait, he’s under contract? Then he must have a no trade clause. No? Oh yeah that’s right. He can’t choose where he gets traded. This is real life, not MyCareer in NBA2k18.

He is only signed through next season. If SAS wants to maximize their return, they had better be sure that the team acquiring him would feel good about re-signing him. Lots of players give a 'list' of teams they would agree to be traded to. If he doesn't get traded to one of those destinations, he can just go there as a FA (provided one of those teams have the cap space) in 2019.
The Spurs don’t give a sh*t about how the team acquiring him feels about re-signing him. They would only care about the package they are getting in return. The Celtics are going to open their treasure chest if it means getting a guy like Kawhi or AD, even if they don’t commit on the spot about resigning in 2 years. That’s actually exactly what we’re trying to do, and exactly what we did Kyrie. We weren’t even on his first list of teams he wanted to be traded to.

If Kawhi wasn't happy with where he was being traded to, then he would likely leave after ONE season and that team would be left high and dry. That is why the Spurs would care - the team receiving Kawhi would be more likely to give up much more if they knew he wanted to re-sign.

Kyrie had TWO seasons left when he was traded and AD has TWO seasons left after this one. Also, the Cs were reportedly on Kyrie's list of six teams he would like to be traded to. When KG Danny began negotiations with Minny about KG, he first refused to re-sign here. It wasn't until we traded for Allen that KG gave an indication that he would stay.

Whether we like it or not, it does matter where Kawhi wants to go - both sides will basically only have a one-year try out before he can become a FA. If the Spurs trade a player of his caliber, they need to get the max return they can.

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2018, 09:18:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think Leonard is over rated.  That is not to say that he isn't a top player and wouldn't be great on the Celtics but there are warning flags.  It will probably take Brown or Tatum to start but I definitely look into this if there is really something there.

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2018, 10:08:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I would guess that if SAS trades Leonard they are going to want to rebuild, so they are going to want as many young players and assets as possible, so Tatum, Brown, Yab, Rozier, LAL/SAC 1st for Leonard (I think that works using next years' salaries - if the pick conveys this year, we can probably keep Yab and Rozier from a value standpoint).  It is a lot to give up, but I think that makes sense for both teams.  So Boston post-trade (assuming pick doesn't convey)

PG - Irving, Smart (re-signed)
SG - Hayward
SF - Leonard, Nader
PF - Morris, Theis, Semi
C - Horford, Monroe (re-signed)

Add Boston's 1st this year and some vets to fill in the bench. 

That team is a clear contender and will be one for at least 5 years (assuming health). 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:36:50 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2018, 10:22:51 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

If Kawhi wasn't happy with where he was being traded to, then he would likely leave after ONE season and that team would be left high and dry. That is why the Spurs would care - the team receiving Kawhi would be more likely to give up much more if they knew he wanted to re-sign.

Kyrie had TWO seasons left when he was traded and AD has TWO seasons left after this one. Also, the Cs were reportedly on Kyrie's list of six teams he would like to be traded to. When KG Danny began negotiations with Minny about KG, he first refused to re-sign here. It wasn't until we traded for Allen that KG gave an indication that he would stay.

Whether we like it or not, it does matter where Kawhi wants to go - both sides will basically only have a one-year try out before he can become a FA. If the Spurs trade a player of his caliber, they need to get the max return they can.
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/21/kyrie-irvings-reported-preferred-trade-destinations-knicks-heat-spurs-timberwolves/
We weren’t on Kyrie’s initial trade request. That was the Knicks, Heat, Wolves, and Spurs. We still traded for him because it was a good deal, even though he certainly could leave next year.

So you hear some guy on a podcast say Kawhi might try to go back to California, and all of sudden we can’t trade for him? Give me a break, that’s ridiculous. There are a lot of reasons why we won’t be able to trade for Kawhi, but him maybe wanting to go back to California is not one of them. Especially since you’re not even suggesting a team, simply a state. A lot of things can change in a year and a half, and this is one of the weakest reasons Ive ever seen of why we can’t trade for a superstar.

And no, the spurs don’t care about how the celtics would feel about re signing him. They only care about the package they are getting for him. I don’t know why you cant see that. If Kawhi really forced his way out, they would accept the best offer for him, regardless of where that is and the probability of Kawhi resigning there.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2018, 10:35:53 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

That will be too much, i won't include Brown, Nader+first rounder instead and we have a deal

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2018, 10:38:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/21/kyrie-irvings-reported-preferred-trade-destinations-knicks-heat-spurs-timberwolves/
We weren’t on Kyrie’s initial trade request. That was the Knicks, Heat, Wolves, and Spurs. We still traded for him because it was a good deal, even though he certainly could leave next year.

So you hear some guy on a podcast say Kawhi might try to go back to California, and all of sudden we can’t trade for him? Give me a break, that’s ridiculous. There are a lot of reasons why we won’t be able to trade for Kawhi, but him maybe wanting to go back to California is not one of them. Especially since you’re not even suggesting a team, simply a state. A lot of things can change in a year and a half, and this is one of the weakest reasons Ive ever seen of why we can’t trade for a superstar.

And no, the spurs don’t care about how the celtics would feel about re signing him. They only care about the package they are getting for him. I don’t know why you cant see that. If Kawhi really forced his way out, they would accept the best offer for him, regardless of where that is and the probability of Kawhi resigning there.
that list wasn't leaked by Irving.  There were plenty of reports out there, that Boston was in fact one of Irving's preferred teams and was on his "list" the whole time, but that the Cavs were more reticent to trade him to Boston so the source leaking the names never leaked Boston.

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2018, 10:40:45 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Tatum + Brown can only go for AD, otherwise don't touch it.

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Tatum + Brown can only go for AD, otherwise don't touch it.
Leonard is better than Davis and unlike Davis, Boston would actually be getting a wing back in return.