Author Topic: Celtics (40-9) at Sixers (23-23) 2/3  (Read 57956 times)

Celtics (40-9) at Sixers (23-23) 2/3
« on: February 01, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (40-9) at Philadelphia 76ers (23-23)
Tuesday, February 3
7:00 PM ET
Game #50 Road Game #24
TV:  CSN, CSN HD, NBA LP 753
Wachovia Center

Coach: Doc Rivers
Average Age: 26.7
Average Height: 6-6
Average Weight: 222

Probable Starters

Rajon Rondo  PPG 11.2 RPG 5.00 APG 8.0 EFF + 18.34

Ray Allen   PPG 18.0 RPG 3.40 APG 2.8 EFF + 17.06

Paul Pierce  PPG 18.8 RPG 5.70 APG 3.8 EFF + 18.55

Glen Davis  PPG 4.9 RPG 3.40 APG 0.7 EFF + 6.19

Kendrick Perkins  PPG 8.3 RPG 7.90 APG 1.1 EFF + 13.73

Reserves
Reserves
Tony Allen
Glen Davis
Eddie House
Leon Powe
Gabe Pruitt
Brian Scalabrine
Patrick O'Bryant
Sam Cassell
Big Baby Davis
JR Giddens
Bill Walker

Injuries:
Brian Scalabrine (concussion)  out
Kevin Garnett (flu) questionable 
Tony Allen (flu-like symptoms)  questionable

The Globe is reporting that KG will miss his second straight game with the flu after blowing off getting a flu shot.  Tony also failed to get a flu shot and may miss the trip as well.  I am guessing that Doc will once again start Big Baby. 

Coach: Tony DiLeo
Average Age: 26.8
Average Height: 6-7
Average Weight: 224

Probable Starters

Andre Miller   PPG 16.0 RPG 4.30 APG 6.3 EFF + 18.37 

Willie Green   PPG 8.3 RPG 1.60 APG 2.0 EFF + 7.02

Andre Iguodala    PPG 17.7 RPG 6.20 APG 5.2 EFF + 19.78

Thaddeus Young   PPG 13.6 RPG 5.10 APG 1.1 EFF + 12.91

Samuel Dalembert   PPG 5.6 RPG 8.30 APG 0.2 EFF + 12.24 

The Bench
Reggie Evans
Elton Brand 
Royal Ivey
Donyell Marshall
Theo Ratliff
Kareem Rush
Marreese Speights
Louis Williams

Injured
Jason Smith (knee)  out

Connections:
Donyell Marshall and Ray Allen are former UConn Huskies
Tom Thibodeau was an assistant coach for the Sixers from '94-96
Elton Brand and Eddie House were teammates on the Clippers
Reggie Evans and Ray Allen were teammates in Seattle. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo   PPG 11.3 RPG 5.00 APG 7.5
Andre Miller is one of the more underrated point guards in the league.  Rondo will need to continue is aggressive play in order to get the better of this matchup. 

vs   
Paul Pierce    PPG 18.5 RPG 5.80 APG 3.8
Andre Iguodala    PPG 15.0 RPG 6.70 APG 5.1
  The matchup between Pierce and Iguodala has always been a good one.  Iguodala has been playing very well as has Pierce. If KG is out in this game, this matchup becomes even more important to the Celtics. 

Honorable Mention
Kendrick Perkins vs Samuel Dalembert 
This should be a battle inside.  Perk has played well against Dalembert in the past and will need to play well defensively in order to keep the Sixers from going inside. 

Elton Brand vs Big Baby
Elton Brand is coming off the bench for the Sixers and may be matched up with Big Baby on the second unit unless KG is still out and Big Baby needs to start. 

Game Notes:
KG missed the last game with the flu and is questionable for this one.  If he needs to miss this game, Big Baby will probably start in his place again.  We want KG nice and rested for Thursday's game against the Lakers. 

The Celtics come into this game having won 11 in a row while the Sixers are coming off a loss and are 7-3 in their last 10 games.  They have lost 3 in a row at home as well.  The Sixers are 13-10 at home while the Celtics are 16-7 on the road.  The Celtics are 10-1 against Atlantic division rivals while Philly is 4-5 in the division with two of those 5 losses coming against the Celtics. 

The Sixers have been off since Saturday and the Celtics since Sunday so both teams should be fresh, but the Celtics may be short handed if KG can't go again.  The Sixers will be motivated to avenge their earlier 2 losses.  They also are at .500 and would love to be one game over .500 rather than one game under .500. 

X-Factor

Focus and the Lakers
The Celtics have lost focus on the road at times this season, most notably during that 2-7 slump that began with the loss to the Lakers.  The bench especially seems to have problems with focus on the road.  With the Lakers waiting in the wings for their next game, it would be easy to overlook the Sixers with their mind on a rematch with the Lakers on Thursday.  They need to keep their focus on this game especially on the defensive end so that they come into the Laker game on a roll. 

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 04:11:59 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (40-9) at Sixers (23-23) 2/3
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:34:02 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is a game that we might really miss Garnett. Depends if the Sixers are running or not.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 12:58:09 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Judging by the PER's our most important matchup that we must win is the Ray Allen vs Willie Green matchup. It would be a good idea to win the PG and C matchups because I thing we are at a disadvantage at the 4 spot with KG out. Our bench will be taxed, too. The winning streak could end tonight.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 02:15:13 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm calling it now, Walker provides a spark off the bench.  ;D

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:19:19 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2009/02/tony_allen_set.html

I know everyone will love this news, but TA is playing tonight with the flu/flu symptoms. He must know with Scal and KG already being out they probably could use him.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:24:53 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2009/02/tony_allen_set.html

I know everyone will love this news, but TA is playing tonight with the flu/flu symptoms. He must know with Scal and KG already being out they probably could use him.

If he's sick why don't they keep him away from the team so that no one else gets sick??  Is everyone else going to play with surgical masks or something?

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:29:11 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80

If he's sick why don't they keep him away from the team so that no one else gets sick??  Is everyone else going to play with surgical masks or something?

I don't think so but i think it would be interesting to see the team out there with the masks on  ;D. But no, the rest of the team took flu shots so they wont be able to get it from him. Tony playing only half there and sick is a bit of a scary thought though lol.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 02:30:04 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Tommy Point for FL.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:44:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I don't think so but i think it would be interesting to see the team out there with the masks on  ;D. But no, the rest of the team took flu shots so they wont be able to get it from him. Tony playing only half there and sick is a bit of a scary thought though lol.

Tony with a clouded head might be the best thing that ever happened to his game, since we've seen how he tends to play with a clear one.  I'm predicting a performance something like Will Ferrell in the debate in Old School.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Yeah, I actually think we might get a Walker sighting tonight in meaningful minutes.  With TA and Scal both out, Doc is either going to have to play Ray and Paul pretty heavily or he's going to have to look to somebody else.  

It will really be interesting to see what Doc does with his rotations tonight.  I'd rather have Baby on Elton Brand than Leon.  If Philly tries to go small off the bench with Reggie Evans at the 4 and Brand at the 5, I'd like to see Pierce play some PF (Evans can't score, and Pierce can light him up) and Walker get the minutes at SF.  Baby/Leon takes Brand, and we aren't forced to play POB - I'm more comfortable with Walker on the court than I am with POB.  Oh, and hopefully Doc will let Pruitt pick up Lou Williams, Eddie can't guard him.

Wow.  I didn't realize how much of a matchup nightmare this team is with our current injuries until I wrote that paragraph.  If that looks like a jumble of iffy ideas, that's because it is - I'm not sure how you do any better.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 04:10:57 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
this game really worries me tonight... :-\

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 06:24:19 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'd rather play Walker, Giddens, Pruitt, or Cassell and lose this game, if it means winning the Lakers and San Antonio games.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
76er's are horrible, i hope we crush this team. (hope the B's crush philly too.)

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 06:53:43 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Color me obvious but I think we need big games from Paul and Ray tonight.

The problem with that is that they don't see to have big games on the same night.  For whatever reason it's either one or the other getting the bulk of the shots.  Tonight we need to figure out how to get both of them going.  I'd love to see a 2-man game with Paul on the post and Ray outside.

I'm nervous about this one for some reason.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Why be nervous about this game? if they lose, so be it, at least its not the lakers breaking the winning streak...and the celtics are in a different league than the sixers regardless...it's be nice to win em all..just not gonna happen.
I think the flu bug has hit this time at a terrible time with this stretch before the all-star break though
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce