Author Topic: Minnesota has 9 healthy players and is 5-2  (Read 6217 times)

Re: Minnesota has 9 healthy players and is 5-2
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
You people DO realize that the Clippers also lost to the Warriors?

I hate when people point to one game upsets by ****ty teams as if that is somehow evidence of a team not being a "true contender." Guess what? The Wizards beat OKC last year! The Denver Nuggets blew the Heat out in one game (28 points IIRC).

It's only when there is a consistent trend of losing that you can really make that claim. But saying "MINNESOTA REALLY SUCKS BECAUSE THEY LOST TO THE WARRIORS" is stupid.

Point is, Clippers, despite losing to Warriors, beat Grizzlies, Spurs and the Heat (combined record: 24-6).
The losses to Warriors or Bobcats are mentioned just because the 5-2 start is given as the indicator of Wolves capable of being really good once their core players return. If a win against Kings or one against Magic can be advertised, so can a loss against Warriors be.
It's nothing more than that.

And in my opinion, Wolves don't suck. They are just not as good as Clippers as some seemingly think. 
I stand by my opinion, as I watched them against the Bulls last night, and they have a solid chance to end up as one of the top four seeds if that bench keeps playing like that. Hands down, Crawford probably will face a drop-off at some point, but Billups will return later on, and Odom cannot play any worse than he's currently playing, so, these things probably will compensate that.

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 11:26:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Just out of curiousity, how is that start anything remotely outstanding?
They are pretty much shorthanded, I know, but let's face the truth, their best win was against the Nets, who blew up a 20-plus-point lead in the final quarter.
The other wins are against Kings, a team in a mess, Magic, one of the worst NBA teams at the moment I believe, Pacers, a pretty mediocre team without Granger in the lineup, and Mavs, a team that is definitely lottery-caliber with Dirk out.
And dropping games to Raptors, Bobcats and Warriors doesn't really make it more sensible.

In my opinion, they can contend for spot 7 or 8 at best in full health. There is no way they are catching up with Grizzlies and Clippers, if you ask me.
Then again, it's just my personal opinion.
When Rubio went down last year Minnesota was the 8th seed.  This team if fully healthy is a lot better than the team from last year.  I think you are really underselling just how much talent is on the Wolves.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 11:33:11 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
Just out of curiousity, how is that start anything remotely outstanding?
They are pretty much shorthanded, I know, but let's face the truth, their best win was against the Nets, who blew up a 20-plus-point lead in the final quarter.
The other wins are against Kings, a team in a mess, Magic, one of the worst NBA teams at the moment I believe, Pacers, a pretty mediocre team without Granger in the lineup, and Mavs, a team that is definitely lottery-caliber with Dirk out.
And dropping games to Raptors, Bobcats and Warriors doesn't really make it more sensible.

In my opinion, they can contend for spot 7 or 8 at best in full health. There is no way they are catching up with Grizzlies and Clippers, if you ask me.
Then again, it's just my personal opinion.
When Rubio went down last year Minnesota was the 8th seed.  This team if fully healthy is a lot better than the team from last year.  I think you are really underselling just how much talent is on the Wolves.

Yes, they're better if Kirilenko stays focused. I'm not counting on Roy that much, though. His overall play seemingly regressed understandably.
So, their overall success is going to be determined by these (leaving health out, that's a concern for every NBA team):
-Kirilenko staying focused.
-Pekovic improving his performance a notch (He had one of the best post move packages in European basketball).
-Shved keeping up his very good rookie campaign start (Actually, even if he hits the so called rookie wall, Rubio's return will take a load over his shoulders, so, he'll be fine).

This is a better team on paper, but they are yet to play a single game together in that fully healthy condition, so, I'm really underselling at the moment, because the Grizzlies and the Clippers are at/close to being at full health (Billups) and I got to see what they are made of.
For Wolves, I cannot say anything like that. I just made an assumption based on the competition's strength and only time will tell if I end up with the wrong answer (=

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 01:23:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Just saw an article in The Oregonian--Roy's getting his right knee scoped.

That's not a very serious surgery, but he's probably going to be out four-to-six weeks.

Again, I'm sticking with my original prognosis--no more than a sixth seed and a first round exit.

That said, prior to the injuries last year, they were a lot of fun to watch when they were making their playoff push.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8652156/brandon-roy-minnesota-timberwolves-yet-another-knee-surgery

looks worse than just a knee scope. says Roys having arthroscopic again. Ouch. The Twolves just cant win this year.

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 01:43:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Arthoscopic surgery is having your knee scoped.  ;)

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 09:16:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Love, Pekovic, and Barea all back and they signed Josh Howard.  Derrick Williams who had started the first 9 games of the year hasn't even played yet and it is half time and they are up 14 on the Nuggets.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 02:26:09 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
But, alas, they ended up losing that game too.

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 08:08:42 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
They got jinxed.
Two weeks into this thread and they haven't won a game since then, going 0-5.
All the teams they lost are at least at .500 as of now.
Anyway, it's just too early to talk at this point, as it was when they were 5-2.

I still don't think they will do great enough to be top six in the conference, though.

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
They got jinxed.
Two weeks into this thread and they haven't won a game since then, going 0-5.
All the teams they lost are at least at .500 as of now.
Anyway, it's just too early to talk at this point, as it was when they were 5-2.

I still don't think they will do great enough to be top six in the conference, though.

Yup, T-Wolves fans can thank CelticsBlog for their sudden demise. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson