Author Topic: Jukebox Etiquette  (Read 9903 times)

Jukebox Etiquette
« on: September 21, 2008, 09:47:56 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
So I was out with some coworkers the other night, and we decided to play the jukebox.  We put 10 bucks in and received 30 plays, which in retrospect was way too much.  We tried to mix it up, classics, good songs, and also tried to stick to the feeling of the place, so little rap/hip hop.  So the question is, a guy came up to us while we were putting songs in, and asked if he could put one in - we said ok - and he went to the download screen (which takes an extra credit) and proceeded to put on an awful awful song, I believe by ween. I was not impressed.  Has anyone else dealt with interesting problems of jukebox takeovers, or have you ever intentionally put on something awful?
When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: Jukebox Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:01:29 AM »

Offline Celtsfan33/34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
So I was out with some coworkers the other night, and we decided to play the jukebox.  We put 10 bucks in and received 30 plays, which in retrospect was way too much.  We tried to mix it up, classics, good songs, and also tried to stick to the feeling of the place, so little rap/hip hop.  So the question is, a guy came up to us while we were putting songs in, and asked if he could put one in - we said ok - and he went to the download screen (which takes an extra credit) and proceeded to put on an awful awful song, I believe by ween. I was not impressed.  Has anyone else dealt with interesting problems of jukebox takeovers, or have you ever intentionally put on something awful?

Good question.  Basically you should know your audience.  I personally play whatever I like cause there's always enough people in the bar who like what I like.  For every AC/DC song you play, throw in a song by Lil John.  For every time you play Sweet Home Alabama, play a Metallica song. 

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 10:17:23 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
If you're like me and just think that you have the best taste in music in the history of the world, you assume that everyone will like whatever you put on.  But if I'm gonna play the jukebox (sidebar, did it take anyone else until they were in their late teens to realize it wasn't called a "jootbox"?  :-\ ), I try limiting it to about 5 or so songs at a time.  Because no matter how much you think everyone will love whatever you put on, if someone wants to hear a particular song, it's a lilttle annoying to have to wait 30 songs to hear it.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 10:32:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It depends.  If other people have been feeding the box, then 30 songs is a lot. 

If no one else has been picking songs, there is no problem.

Also, how big is your group?  If there were 4 people, that's alot of songs.  If there were 10 people, that is only 3 songs per person.

As for bad etiquette, when I was in college, I watched two of my friends load up the jukebox right as a live band was getting ready to start.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »

Offline Celtsfan33/34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1

Also, how big is your group?  If there were 4 people, that's alot of songs.  If there were 10 people, that is only 3 songs per person.

As for bad etiquette, when I was in college, I watched two of my friends load up the jukebox right as a live band was getting ready to start.

Not gonna lie, I personally find this to be a little bit funny.  It must've been a crappy band huh??  LOL.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 11:37:58 AM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 53
Here's my take on jukebox etiquette: bars have a vibe about them, and you need to respect that vibe by not putting on music that clashes with it. Additionally, (and I can't emphasize this enough):
1.) You HAVE TO not hoard the machine.
2.) You CAN'T put on more music than the time you're going to be there

Case in point: about two weeks ago my old roommate and I wanted to shoot some pool, so we went down to this bar with a couple of pool tables in it to have a few and shoot some stick. The jukebox there was one of those internet ones where $1 gets you two credits and each song is 1 credit (2 if it doesn't have it on the box and have to download it from the internet; 2.50 if yuo want it to preempt the others). Now, this bar is in the basement of an old building, it's dark, smokey . . . basically, it's not the kind of place you take someone out for drinks on a date. And, I mean, this kind of bar is the kind I love. Anyway, we sit down to grab a drink, and we start shooting some pool, and we were just going to go with whatever was being played (since, when we came in, they were playing some Lynyrd Skynyrd), when suddenly we see these two girls in tie-dyed shirts sit down by the jukebox and start feeding money in. We think nothing of it, until we hear what they put on. It was techno, VERY loud techno, VERY VERY bad techno. I mean, I'm not crazy about techno in general, but I can listen to it in passing now and again, and I accept it being played at trendy clubs I go to and whatnot. But at this bar? No way. So I grimace a little and keep playing, thinking it's just a song or two. But once it hits the third or fourth song, and the two lesbians at the table over and my buddy and I are all kind of looking at each other thinking "What the hell?", I start to go over there to change it and put some songs in, thinking it has to end soon. As I go over there and select my songs, I look at the playlist queued, and realize that they put in enough money for TEN techno songs. I wasn't about to preempt them (since they'd play anyway, and I couldn't afford that kind of cash), so I went back and reported to the other three how crappy that was. But that wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back; what did it was that one song later THEY LEFT, leaving us to have to listen to the remainder of that crap. Thankfully, the bartender took mercy, pulled the power on the box, and then replaced the $3 or so I put in so I could re-input my songs. But I wanted to kill those girls.

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 12:44:57 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I'm normally only a 3 or 4 song picker at a time but when im picking music it's normally whatever I personally want to hear and I do not factor in anyone else at the bar.

My money my ears my music.

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 01:58:41 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
whatever she decides play when she dances on the pole is typically okay...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 04:25:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Not gonna lie, I personally find this to be a little bit funny.  It must've been a crappy band huh??  LOL.

The band wasn't bad.  They just hadn't started yet. 

Of course my friends walked right past them to use the Jukebox.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 07:21:52 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
there's definitely some songs that are off limits at some bars, then there's some songs that are off limits at every bar.  I'm a huge fan of Don MacLean's American Pie, but I'd never play it on a jukebox, just because its so darned long.  I think techno should be off limits generally too, as stated previously in a hilarious post.  Country songs, which I love, are 9 times out of 10 off limits too. I did sneak Dwight Yoakam's Suspicious Minds in though, and people seemed to enjoy it - Friends in Low places you can get away with too, but generally country is so divisive (unless its a country place) you shouldn't touch it. 
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 09:17:03 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I defer all jukebox related questions to the Fonz
Yup

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 08:11:55 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

Shouldn't the bartender/owner whoever just have cut the jukebox?  Sorry guys, next time pay attention.

Personally, I never play the jukebox when I head to the bar.  Shelling out a few bucks for listening to one song is a bit much.  But... if someone ELSE is paying, here's the simple rule I follow:

If I was in my car with the window rolled down and cruised past a beautiful woman, would I want that song coming out of my car?

Related note, I make most decisions of my life like that.  Should I buy this shirt..?  I don't know, put it to the beautiful woman test.  Huh, new movie came out... what if a beautiful woman knew I was watching it?

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 08:38:57 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Shouldn't the bartender/owner whoever just have cut the jukebox?  Sorry guys, next time pay attention.

Personally, I never play the jukebox when I head to the bar.  Shelling out a few bucks for listening to one song is a bit much.  But... if someone ELSE is paying, here's the simple rule I follow:

If I was in my car with the window rolled down and cruised past a beautiful woman, would I want that song coming out of my car?

Related note, I make most decisions of my life like that.  Should I buy this shirt..?  I don't know, put it to the beautiful woman test.  Huh, new movie came out... what if a beautiful woman knew I was watching it?

hmmm, what if a beautiful woman was reading your blog post?
Yup

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 09:08:22 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

Schupac is my younger brother, and trust me, there are no beautiful women interested in him.

I have to agree with him though, the jukebox is not something I even consider putting money into. More money on songs means less money on alcohol. But my opinion is biased, I have an incredible singing voice and usually entertain the bar with various Motorhead and Judas Priest tunes.

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 09:20:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Schupac is my younger brother, and trust me, there are no beautiful women interested in him.

I have to agree with him though, the jukebox is not something I even consider putting money into. More money on songs means less money on alcohol. But my opinion is biased, I have an incredible singing voice and usually entertain the bar with various Motorhead and Judas Priest tunes.
;D TP
Yup