Author Topic: Would you like Geno Auriemma coaching your favorite team (college or pros)?  (Read 7527 times)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess this thread shows that the women's game still has a long way to go. Even in the OP's scenario, he describes having a current coach who is awful and many people still would argue against hiring Auriemma - even though he has ridiculous accolades under his belt.

I understand not wanting to hire him for personal reasons, but purely a person who can coach, people should be knocking down his door. I mean, who honestly would take Auriemma over Coach K, Izzo, Ryan, Williams, etc (I am leaving out Calipari because I am NOT a fan)? But Geno has far surpassed any of those guys. Even the Cs went with an unknown coach from Butler.

I seriously wonder how much more women's basketball really can grow...and this isn't meant to be insulting - just a thought.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
but purely a person who can coach, people should be knocking down his door. I mean, who honestly would take Auriemma over Coach K, Izzo, Ryan, Williams, etc (I am leaving out Calipari because I am NOT a fan)? But Geno has far surpassed any of those guys.
Has he?

He's coaching in a far less competitive environment (women's basketball isn't nearly as competitve as men's basketball), nor has he ever won a title where I'd consider his talent to not be top 1/2 in the country.

The difference in talent between UConn and most of its opponents throughout the season is often the difference between a NBA team and a NCAA team. Its outright that severe.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
but purely a person who can coach, people should be knocking down his door. I mean, who honestly would take Auriemma over Coach K, Izzo, Ryan, Williams, etc (I am leaving out Calipari because I am NOT a fan)? But Geno has far surpassed any of those guys.
Has he?

He's coaching in a far less competitive environment (women's basketball isn't nearly as competitve as men's basketball), nor has he ever won a title where I'd consider his talent to not be top 1/2 in the country.

The difference in talent between UConn and most of its opponents throughout the season is often the difference between a NBA team and a NCAA team. Its outright that severe.

No, I agree with you and perhaps didn't articulate myself well. UCONN's talent level is second to none. Only when Griner was tearing it up did I ever consider UCONN an underdog.

He is more in the Phil Jackson camp of coaching, but people love a winner (and he certainly is one). He may or may not possess superior coaching skills, but he has proven he can come through when it matters with the talent that he has fortunately been given.

I meant more 'on the surface' he should be a desired coach for a franchise, not that I think he is absolutely the best coach.