Author Topic: Cavaliers (10-18) at Celtics (12-17) Game #30 12/28  (Read 34543 times)

Re: Cavaliers (10-18) at Celtics (12-17) Game #30 12/28
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2013, 05:58:02 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
When youhave to take 7+ shots a game to score 6+ points a game, I don't care if you are averaging 6+ PPG, that's not a good thing. Its a very very bad thing.

One of the best things I saw in this thread was someone saying Olynyk is playing minutes he hasn't earned. Nothing could be more true. Faverani deserves minutes over Olynyk right now.

Oh, and BTW, there is zero guarantee Olynyk's shots start dropping. His FG% was good at Gonzaga because he played against inferior competition and was 7 feet tall but his three point shooting was never anything to write home about.

He's missing longer three in the NBA at an alarming rate and his inside moves that worked so well against mid major big men isn't working and probably never will work versus NBA big men.

then why were all these moves and shots working for him in the NBA at the start of the season? I think he just needs to readjust after his ankle injury

« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2013, 06:26:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When youhave to take 7+ shots a game to score 6+ points a game, I don't care if you are averaging 6+ PPG, that's not a good thing. Its a very very bad thing.

One of the best things I saw in this thread was someone saying Olynyk is playing minutes he hasn't earned. Nothing could be more true. Faverani deserves minutes over Olynyk right now.

Oh, and BTW, there is zero guarantee Olynyk's shots start dropping. His FG% was good at Gonzaga because he played against inferior competition and was 7 feet tall but his three point shooting was never anything to write home about.

He's missing longer three in the NBA at an alarming rate and his inside moves that worked so well against mid major big men isn't working and probably never will work versus NBA big men.

then why were all these moves and shots working for him in the NBA at the start of the season? I think he just needs to readjust after his ankle injury
Its the beginning of the season and players aren't playing defense all that well as they get into shape. They had never seen him before or knew his moves. Then teams got film on him and adjusted. Can he readjust?

« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2013, 07:06:14 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I can agree that 7+ shots for 6+ points is a bad thing, but 5 boards in 20 minutes isn't a bad thing.  It's not Dennis Rodman, bad it's not a bad thing.  He is assisting decently as a PF rookie and shots that he's missing I think will evenutally fall.  If not, you'll be proven correct.

He does tend to take a giddyap first step which has caused him some traveling violations and I think some subsequent head problems.  His moves are less fluid and natural as a result -- far too thoughtful. This influences his shot as well.  I think he feels awkward.  Throw the speed of the game and the unforgiving nature of the game at this level and I think you have a rookie who needs to adjust and find a comfort zone.  He may never find it, but you are a far keener observer than I if you already know that he won't.

« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2013, 07:22:29 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 41
  • Celtic Pride
Terrible 4th quarter!

Bad defense, turnovers and bad shots.

Celtics won but i did not like how the won the game at all.

Nice block by Bass to get the win at the end.

Also i think that Avery Bradley should have passed the ball to the players in the open front court to run the clock down. (Or throw it in the air?)
Dutch Celtics Pride

« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
The celtics didn't win the game, Mike Brown lost it.

Why the heck did he go with Bennett down the stretch?

« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Um, they weren't? He has shot abysmally pretty much since the opening bell of the regular season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2013, 08:14:14 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I can agree that 7+ shots for 6+ points is a bad thing, but 5 boards in 20 minutes isn't a bad thing.  It's not Dennis Rodman, bad it's not a bad thing.  He is assisting decently as a PF rookie and shots that he's missing I think will evenutally fall.  If not, you'll be proven correct.

He does tend to take a giddyap first step which has caused him some traveling violations and I think some subsequent head problems.  His moves are less fluid and natural as a result -- far too thoughtful. This influences his shot as well.  I think he feels awkward.  Throw the speed of the game and the unforgiving nature of the game at this level and I think you have a rookie who needs to adjust and find a comfort zone.  He may never find it, but you are a far keener observer than I if you already know that he won't.
I was at the game and spent some time focusing on KO. Although his shot is not falling, he is doing quite a few other good things out there like setting high picks, cutting to the basket, good passing.  If his Fg% was better, no one would be writing this kid off.   It is true he's got the rookie awkwardness which we should hope he sheds by next season.

« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2013, 09:56:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I was at the game and spent some time focusing on KO. Although his shot is not falling, he is doing quite a few other good things out there like setting high picks, cutting to the basket, good passing.  If his Fg% was better, no one would be writing this kid off.   It is true he's got the rookie awkwardness which we should hope he sheds by next season.

TP.........your right ....I see this stuff too......the effort is there .....he is just so low on confidence .right now...I think his finding identity on the court is troublesome .....he is not a all hog by nature ......he needs to learn the NBA post game......learn how to get position,  box out his man ,  and demand the ball ,  and Never hesitate to take a good shot.   He is still playing like a guard.

« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
The 2013 Summer League games in Orlando seem so long ago. I watched all of those games thinking this kid Olynyk has got it all. but that was then and this is now and Kelly Olynyk has found that life among the trees in the NBA is a lot different than the good old Summer League games.
I hate to say this but I am seriously worried about this kid making this team the way he is playing now. all that athleticism seems to have vanished and been turned into clumsy ball handling and bad decision making. Kelly looks lost, to say the least, in the vet world of pro basketball.  all those cute over and under layups he was making in Orlando don't come so easy without position and strength in the real NBA, and unfortunately, Olynyk, has mastered neither.
I would go as far as saying that Faverani has a better chance at sticking with the Celtics because of his strength but even Vitor makes bad decisions.
It just seems to me that Boston is cursed when it comes to signing a solid big guy.
As far as today's game....same old thing, that one bad quarter that haunts this team.  in this game it was the fourth quarter that almost killed them if not for the great block by Bass on the final shot. also no movement on the ball and some stupid passes from Jordan Crawford whom I mentioned the other day that Brad Stevens needs to reel in before he starts costing us games.
The difference between this team being where they are now and them having won another 5 to 6 games is the ability to cut down on Dumb mistakes and most importantly knowing when to step on the other team's throat and finish the game!!!

« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
nice win but we are terrible at blowing big leads.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
I agree with desertdweller....Plus when KO and Vitor are playing bad Vitor actually hurts the team less. It seems that Stevens is force feeding playing time for KO that he has not earned. I thought the best ball the C'c have played this year was when KO was out with the ankle injury. If he had played one more minute yesterday the C's more than likely would have lost. Time will settle this argument but if I'm wrong I will it admit it. Hope the C's do likewise.

« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
And to think during summer league I remember folks calling KO a poor mans version of Dirk  ;D
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk