Poll

Guess: Who Is Lebron Playing For After This Season?

Cleveland Cavaliers (He Stays)
33 (30.6%)
Houston Rockets
13 (12%)
Los Angeles Clippers
3 (2.8%)
Los Angeles Lakers
32 (29.6%)
New York Knicks
4 (3.7%)
Boston Celtics (Hey... Who Knows)
4 (3.7%)
Philadelphia 76ers
9 (8.3%)
Milwaukee Bucks
1 (0.9%)
San Antonio Spurs
6 (5.6%)
Other Team (Comment Below!)
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?  (Read 50240 times)

Re: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2018, 02:21:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We could only be so lucky. Would be a bad move for Philly future long term.

Why? They add Lebron for just $$ and still keep building w/their young core.

Bad fit with Simmons who has similar skill set.

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2018, 02:40:35 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Yes, but he won't.  Agree with the poll that LAL is most likely if he does leave.  Simmons is too ball dominant in PHI, and the guys in LAL, along with PG, would willingly defer to him.
I don't really get the Bron to LAL thing.  First, he'd only go there if Paul George does.  In this case, there would be 4 SF (Bron, Paul George, Kuzma and Ingram).  I know in today's day and age of positionless basketball it works a bit better, but Nobody can really argue that any of those guys can truly cover a 2 who is running all over the floor.

Second, LeBron has to see he's got a maximum window of 2-3 years.  Why join a team who's best players are all young?

Time will tell.

I'm also doubtful that he'll leave.  If he does, LAL just seems to make sense for 2 main reasons: he'd have a decent supporting cast (a leap from Ball and Ingram would help a lot) that would defer to him as the alpha; if he's willing to trade Kyrie for PG, he must be really high on PG.

Re: Ingram, I've also seen him play a lot of position this year, including some point guard recently.  Those guys are pretty versatile and play an uptempo, run and gun style that suits them well.  I'd guess every FO has tried to emulate GSW to an extent, including BOS, though most haven't pulled it off as well as BOS.

Yeah, time will tell.  I'm doubtful he leaves, but of the teams out there, LAL would seem to be enticing to LBJ alongside PG.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:54:14 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2018, 04:39:26 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Yes.  Doomed for 2 years probably.  But injuries are part of the game...even Lebron will start to age and tire...especially with so many post seasons played to the end.  And sometimes aging superstars produce some very ugly basketball for a while before they finally retire...the awkward transition from go-to-guy to has-been....so hopefully some of all of that would come into play should he go to Philly.
And the Sixers remain entirely dependent on Embiid's health for the forseeable future, with or without Lebron.

edit:  unless we can trade for AD.  Then we wouldn't be doomed anymore.

« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2018, 05:54:24 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think the Sixers would need to make it to the ECF or at least have a strong showing losing in the 2nd round to attract Lebron. 

« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2018, 06:47:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
he is too old to start over there .  Too much work for very doubtful or slim chance of finals appearance befote he is retirement age .  He can get more glory and money ultimately in LA.

His BIG draw is LA ......the side business opportunities  ,  movies , huge constant fame and glory to add to his legacy .

Winning in Cleveland is just about sports .   He can climb to higher glory in LA .   

Which ......i ve heard some LA fans say they don't want LeBron .  He will tie up the rebuilding a long term team with huge contracts and he is OLD ....plus he seems not tomwant to play defense now ...he is unlikely to play more defense in up comming years .  The Ball family's , Magic , and Lebron might be TOO many divsa in one house.

one thing .....with all those characters , hating on Lakers will be easier than ever.

« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
While I don't put much credence in these type of reports because I don't think James has truly given his next stop all that much thought, multiple people are reporting James has a list of 4 teams that he will consider.  The Cavs, Lakers, Rockets, and Sixers.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/08/lebron-james-free-agency-list-cavaliers-lakers-rockets-sixers
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2018, 12:30:00 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
he is too old to start over there .  Too much work for very doubtful or slim chance of finals appearance befote he is retirement age .  He can get more glory and money ultimately in LA.

His BIG draw is LA ......the side business opportunities  ,  movies , huge constant fame and glory to add to his legacy .

Winning in Cleveland is just about sports .   He can climb to higher glory in LA .   

Which ......i ve heard some LA fans say they don't want LeBron .  He will tie up the rebuilding a long term team with huge contracts and he is OLD ....plus he seems not tomwant to play defense now ...he is unlikely to play more defense in up comming years .  The Ball family's , Magic , and Lebron might be TOO many divsa in one house.

one thing .....with all those characters , hating on Lakers will be easier than ever.

I would argue that Simmons + Embiid>the total combination of anything promising that the Lakers and the Clippers currently have.

While Lebron + Simmons might be a challenge on the court at the same time, I think there's a lot of potential there.

If PHI lands Lebron, I see no reason why they can't go out and acquire veterans that would want to jump on a championship run.

« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2018, 01:28:37 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
As far as fit, I see the Lakers as poor as a fit as the Sixers --- Lonzo and Simmons both need the ball to really excel, and unless Lebron is going to play SF/PF full time, Lebron + Lonzo or Lebron + Simmons doesnt appear to be a good idea.

If he IS willing to take on more of a SF/PF role, Houston would make more sense than either the Sixers or Lakers because they are significantly better and that would mean LBJ doesnt care about having ball dominant teammates (of which there are 2 in Houston).

I expect the choice to be Cleveland or Houston if this is a basketball decision, and LA only if his goal is movies rather than sports at this point...

« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2018, 01:34:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
As far as fit, I see the Lakers as poor as a fit as the Sixers --- Lonzo and Simmons both need the ball to really excel, and unless Lebron is going to play SF/PF full time, Lebron + Lonzo or Lebron + Simmons doesnt appear to be a good idea.

If he IS willing to take on more of a SF/PF role, Houston would make more sense than either the Sixers or Lakers because they are significantly better and that would mean LBJ doesnt care about having ball dominant teammates (of which there are 2 in Houston).

I expect the choice to be Cleveland or Houston if this is a basketball decision, and LA only if his goal is movies rather than sports at this point...

I wouldn't be shocked to see Ball or Simmons get moved in a package if Lebron were to join either organization.    I doubt either roster would stay stagnant + Lebron. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2018, 02:02:22 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
While I don't put much credence in these type of reports because I don't think James has truly given his next stop all that much thought, multiple people are reporting James has a list of 4 teams that he will consider.  The Cavs, Lakers, Rockets, and Sixers.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/08/lebron-james-free-agency-list-cavaliers-lakers-rockets-sixers

If he Doesnt consider this stuff before the offseason he can't really have a list

« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2018, 02:41:07 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I still believe it makes the most sense for him to join the Sixers. Oh, by the way, the Sixers have 44M on the books for salary next year so why not sign 2 stars to join that youth.

1. Hatred of Kyrie- What better way to stick it to Kyrie then join a team in Celtics division and then beat them for a few years.
2. Hatred of Celtics- We know how Lebron feels about us
3. They have top youth on that team that will only get better- True Center to join
4. Stay in Eastern Conference- Land of the tankfastic
5. Best way to get back to Finals
6. They can add more then one max star player- Reddick, Amir, Booker all come of the books-43M there just from that

I would say better then 50% chance he puts on a Sixers uniform. It really does make the most sense.

Doomed is a strong word but it will be super tough to beat that team if they add 2 superstars to that mix. Not unless we make a big "Center" move ourselves. I know Hayward is coming back but we still need an answer for their center and if Lebron is there. What a conference finals it would be though  8)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:50:11 PM by BringToughnessBack »

« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2018, 03:09:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I still believe it makes the most sense for him to join the Sixers. Oh, by the way, the Sixers have 44M on the books for salary next year so why not sign 2 stars to join that youth.

1. Hatred of Kyrie- What better way to stick it to Kyrie then join a team in Celtics division and then beat them for a few years.
3. They have top youth on that team that will only get better- True Center to join
6. They can add more then one max star player- Reddick, Amir, Booker all come of the books-43M there just from that

I would say better then 50% chance he puts on a Sixers uniform. It really does make the most sense.

Doomed is a strong word but it will be super tough to beat that team if they add 2 superstars to that mix. Not unless we make a big "Center" move ourselves. I know Hayward is coming back but we still need an answer for their center and if Lebron is there. What a conference finals it would be though  8)

You are forgetting about Joel Embiid's $148M/5yr extension that he signed in October, which could actually be as much as $178M if he makes and All-NBA team this year (not impossible). The Sixers are still a scary choice for Lebron, especially if they deal Simmons/Fultz/LAL pick for another 'star', but luckily they won't have as much cap space as HoopsHype seems to indicate.

« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2018, 03:19:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

You are forgetting about Joel Embiid's $148M/5yr extension that he signed in October, which could actually be as much as $178M if he makes and All-NBA team this year (not impossible). The Sixers are still a scary choice for Lebron, especially if they deal Simmons/Fultz/LAL pick for another 'star', but luckily they won't have as much cap space as HoopsHype seems to indicate.
Yeah they have like 70 million under contract next year (without counting the Laker pick), so even signing James to 35% will require them to move someone like Bayless for no salary back and giving up rights to all free agents.  That said, that would still be a heck of a team, and they would still have plenty of tradable assets to add in some other vets.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2018, 04:05:47 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Philly is doomed when Hayward is back next year. 

Who comes up with these crap threads?

« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2018, 05:21:40 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Philly is doomed when Hayward is back next year. 

Who comes up with these crap threads?

Tp man. This thread is an embarrassment to the board.