Author Topic: Jabari? UPDATE: Jabari!  (Read 33656 times)

Re: Jabari? UPDATE: Jabari!
« Reply #225 on: April 20, 2021, 04:26:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A bit of trivia I just heard that I think is interesting.  Jabari and Semi were both freshmen together at Duke.

Who would have thought that Semi would have twice the career playoff minutes and five times as many career playoff games?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #226 on: April 20, 2021, 04:52:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Team mates can work wonders.

« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2021, 11:00:37 AM »

Offline BoulderMike

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I don't think this has been mentioned, but i believe the best comparison for Jabari is Shaun Livingston.  Shaun was a #4 pick, superstar in the making, and then injuries took away his explosiveness.  He reinvented himself and became an integral, yet non-star, for the Warriors.

That is what Jabari needs to do.  I would love to see him replicate the Shaun Livingston model.  He'd need to focus on his three point shot for this to become a reality, IMO.

I hope he ends with the Celtics for the next decade and retires a champion.

« Reply #228 on: April 21, 2021, 12:59:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't think this has been mentioned, but i believe the best comparison for Jabari is Shaun Livingston.  Shaun was a #4 pick, superstar in the making, and then injuries took away his explosiveness.  He reinvented himself and became an integral, yet non-star, for the Warriors.

That is what Jabari needs to do.  I would love to see him replicate the Shaun Livingston model.  He'd need to focus on his three point shot for this to become a reality, IMO.

I was hoping he'd rebound into a functional player like Grant Hill did after his multitude of injuries.  Livingston wouldn't be a bad career to evolve into though

« Reply #229 on: April 21, 2021, 01:56:35 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
A bit of trivia I just heard that I think is interesting.  Jabari and Semi were both freshmen together at Duke.

Who would have thought that Semi would have twice the career playoff minutes and five times as many career playoff games?

Looking at those Duke rosters to see who else Semi might have played with and/or out shined, and I see an interesting name, Nick Pagliuca, in the same class with Semi and Jabari.

Sounds familiar, where have I heard that name before?

A quick google search jogs my memory, he's the son of one of the Celtics owners, Steve Pagliuca.

4 year player at Duke playing with every Duke pro from Semi to Tatum.  Nice little Celtics connection.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #230 on: April 21, 2021, 01:58:33 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

Looking at those Duke rosters to see who else Semi might have played with and/or out shined, and I see an interesting name, Nick Pagliuca, in the same class with Semi and Jabari.

A quick google search jogs my memory, he's the son of one of the Celtics owners, Steve Pagliuca.

4 year player at Duke playing with every Duke pro from Semi to Tatum.  Nice little Celtics connection.

I'll be honest.... a strong Duke-Celtics connection kinda bums me out

« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2021, 02:03:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I am guessing long time poster tarheels isn't thrilled with it either. Lol.

« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2021, 03:47:33 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Question about his contract and the Early Bird Rights. (I may be way off, this is based on something I saw on Reddit)

I've heard that at the end of next season Parker will qualify for an extension under Early Bird Rights. This will allow the Celtics to offer him about $8-10 Million maximum per year and that other teams would not be working under this restriction and could pay him more.

Is this true?

Lets say Jabari Parker is actually a starter level player by the end of next year and is due for a $15-20 Million contract. Are we restricted from giving him a contract like that and are other teams free to offer him more?

« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2021, 04:02:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Hmmm the owner’s son steering his team mates to the Celtics?

« Reply #234 on: April 21, 2021, 04:54:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Question about his contract and the Early Bird Rights. (I may be way off, this is based on something I saw on Reddit)

I've heard that at the end of next season Parker will qualify for an extension under Early Bird Rights. This will allow the Celtics to offer him about $8-10 Million maximum per year and that other teams would not be working under this restriction and could pay him more.

Is this true?

Lets say Jabari Parker is actually a starter level player by the end of next year and is due for a $15-20 Million contract. Are we restricted from giving him a contract like that and are other teams free to offer him more?

I think Jabari is a role player off the bench at this point but it only takes one team to overpay see Turner, Evan....

« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2021, 05:21:32 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Is this true?

That's largely true.  It's more likely that for his first year, the Celtics could offer at most in the 10.5-11 Million range, which works out to $45-48 million over four years with raises.  If Parker plays so well next year that he earns more than that contract, then the C's will have had a huge bargain.

« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2021, 05:43:00 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

I am guessing long time poster tarheels isn't thrilled with it either. Lol.

Grayson Alan better not be walking through that door

« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2021, 06:49:18 PM »

Kiorrik

You forgot "three-time".

« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2021, 09:50:38 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
So he doesn’t usually make up for his poor defense with great offense (like say IT4 or Kyrie did).

While this is true, he doesn’t have to.  Those guys were MVP candidates.  Parker will be useful if he simply contributes good offense.  He doesn’t need to be great or elite.
I think it is far more important for a role player to not cost you a game because of atrocious defense.  The problem with Parker is that he doesn't have any really elite skills.  He is a terrible 3 point shooter.  He can't handle the ball well.  He can't initiate an offense. He can score pretty well from 3' to the basket, but that is about it.  When you are a role player, if you are bad at something, then you better darn well make up for it with an elite skill.  Like you could live with Korver or Redick's terrible defense, because they were elite shooters.  Parker is an improvement on Wagner, but I'm not sure that says much.

Over the prior two seasons, Parker shot a higher 2 point field goal percentage than Brown or Tatum. Within 0-3 feet and 3-10 feet Parker shot better than both Brown and Tatum. Brown shot better than Parker from 10-16 feet, while Parker was effectively tied with Tatum. From 16 feet to the arc they were all effectively tied. As I said before, if Parker qualified, he would be a better than average 2 point field goal shooter among power forwards, and a much better than average 2 point field goal shooter among all players.

« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2021, 09:52:10 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Kelly Olynyk just turned 30 and Jabari Parker is still only 26. The NBA is a weird place.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008