Author Topic: Kemba Ruled Out For Friday's Game  (Read 7007 times)

Re: Kemba Ruled Out For Friday's Game
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2020, 11:09:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I know the absences have been responses to soreness but this screams careful load management of a chronic issue to me. I'm glad we're doing it, especially when we're pretty well-established in the 2-3 seed area right now.
Oh yeah I'm sure he was sore other times too and just played through it.

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2020, 11:25:13 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I don't think the all-star game was all that competitive until the fourth quarter, but regardless of how competitive it was, I don't think Kemba should've played as much as he did. It seems absurd to me that a team can be off for a week but a guy misses the first game back.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2020, 11:33:23 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I know the absences have been responses to soreness but this screams careful load management of a chronic issue to me. I'm glad we're doing it, especially when we're pretty well-established in the 2-3 seed area right now.
at this point I'm wondering if this is something chronic that will continue to cause him to miss games (his reputation prior to coming here was that he was an iron man in the league) or if this is something that will go away with rest over this coming summer.

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2020, 11:41:13 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
at this point I'm wondering if this is something chronic that will continue to cause him to miss games (his reputation prior to coming here was that he was an iron man in the league) or if this is something that will go away with rest over this coming summer.

I expect him to have a “minor” procedure over the summer.

I’d also add that Charlotte was never concerned about Kemba’s health for May or June, so it could be something he’s dealt with before but is preparing for an extended playoff run for the first time and is thus treating it differently.

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2020, 11:54:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
So he had to have his knee drained and an injection.

Worse than we were hoping/thought.

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2020, 12:17:15 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I knw a lot of people thought this was just a case of "load management," but you dont usually load manage somebody coming off a eight day break (even if he did play the all star game).

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2020, 12:49:52 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
He had a minute restriction, but I haven't seen what it was. Was it 10-15 and he played 30?

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2020, 01:05:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
He had a minute restriction, but I haven't seen what it was. Was it 10-15 and he played 30?
Stevens said something like "one big minute game a week".

They've been pretty vague about, basically said if they had any idea his knee could swell like that he wouldn't have played in the all-star game.

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2020, 01:38:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Oof, that's no good. Maybe out for LA too then. [dang] that Elam Ending!!

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2020, 02:55:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
As I stated on page 1, this is inexcusable.

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2020, 03:26:06 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
From MassLive.

Stevens said Walker received Synvisc in his knee, an injection that markets itself as specifically an osteoarthritis knee-pain reliever. Per the drug’s website, Synvisc is a one-time treatment for patients “who have failed to respond adequately to conservative non-pharmacologic therapy and simple analgesics, e.g., acetaminophen.”

According to Stevens, the injection is relatively common, and he added that there was no way to know Walker’s knee would react like this.

“I do think it’s important, like, there’s no way he would have played or our medical staff would have (let him play in the All-Star game) if they thought this was going to be possible after the break,” Stevens said. “It’s just unfortunate. It probably would have happened at some point, clearly, but it’s unfortunate that it happened there. But this guy’s as good as it gets. I feel bad for him.”

The Celtics start a four-game road trip in Minneapolis before flying to Los Angeles for a high-profile matchup with the Lakers. Stevens claimed he hadn’t asked the medical staff whether Walker might be available on Sunday.

“I think it’s short-term enough that that will be in the discussion,” Stevens said. "Then we also have to just decide, kind of like we did in the period before the All-Star break, does he benefit from strengthening for a week without games? Does he benefit from strengthening for two weeks without games? I don’t know what the answer to that is. That’s where he and our medical staff have to put their heads together to come up with a plan. And then we’ll follow it.”

Stevens said the medical staff approved one big game in the week leading up to the All-Star break, which was Walker’s 45-minute outing against the Clippers.

“I think there will be games and times where we try to restrict (his minutes)," Stevens said. "But there will also be times where we’ll try to have him go further because when you get to the playoffs and you get to that time of year, we’re going to need our very best players to be able to go 40 (minutes). So there’s gotta be a balance of you want guys to experience that a little bit, but at the same time we’ll have to determine when that is with him now.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/02/kemba-walker-injury-boston-celtics-star-had-knee-drained-and-received-injection-to-reduce-swelling-soreness.html
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2020, 03:37:04 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
As I stated on page 1, this is inexcusable.

TP for being consistent and giving management a share of the blame.  There is no doubt in my mind that the organization was supportive of Kemba playing in the All-Star game despite the lingering knee issue.  Kemba shouldn't have gone over the minutes restriction but I think (pure speculation) Brad and co. encouraged Kemba to enjoy the moment.

That said, I'm not overly concerned about Kemba missing tonight's game.  For better or worse, this might have been his only opportunity to start in an All-Star game.  Add the emotion of Kobe's passing and I can't really blame him for wanting to play hard on the national stage.   

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2020, 03:39:01 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Nice to see the people who say it's "inexcusable" are feeling self-rightoues.  ::)

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2020, 08:06:45 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Regardless of the All-star game Kemba's knee seems to worse off then first reported. That's the bigger problem going forward as it pertains to a playoff run. The hospital Celtics are here to stay this year.

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2020, 04:05:12 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Brad says that Kemba could miss 1 to 2 weeks, depending on how the knee responds.

They don't believe the ASG had anything to do with it however, and according to Brad if the knee had been swollen after the Clippers game Walker would not have played the ASG. But it wasn't, so he did. I'd imagine he wanted to, Kobe tribute and all.

Some of us sitting in our loungerooms far away from Chicago following the fates of the Celtics on a game by game basis may disagree  :angel:

MINNEAPOLIS — Celtics point guard Kemba Walker had his troublesome left knee drained and received an anti-inflammatory injection after returning from All-Star weekend in Chicago.

Slowed by knee pain for much of this season, Walker complained of more extensive swelling this time. He also underwent an MRI that did not reveal any structural issues, but he missed Friday’s 127-117 victory against the Timberwolves.

While the team does not believe this is a serious issue, there is a chance Walker could be sidelined for a week or two, coach Brad Stevens said.

Walker played about 32 minutes in Sunday’s All-Star Game, including all of an intense, untimed fourth quarter in which he was on the court for about 15 minutes of game time. He insisted on Friday that the game did not cause this latest setback.

“The double-overtime game [against the Clippers last Thursday], the flight, having to wake up early, be on my feet all day. It’s not much rest like everybody else got. That could’ve been part of it as well” he said. “It’s not the game specifically that’s got my knee feeling like this. It’s been bothering me for quite some time now.”

Stevens said that if the swelling had presented itself prior to the All-Star game, Walker would not have played.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2020/02/21/after-all-star-game-kemba-walker-had-more-swelling-and-soreness-knee/D5OX0eOCvnF8mzNt6to0tJ/story.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:10:49 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D