Author Topic: shot in the dark: anyone have their copy of NBA2k9 yet?  (Read 20756 times)

Re: shot in the dark: anyone have their copy of NBA2k9 yet?
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 12:39:16 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I played for about 30 mins after I finished off my homework last night and WOW! I had to spend time learning the controls since I'm a Live convert but the practice mode which allows you to play 5v5 is awesome. The learning curve for the isomotion controls might take me a while, but the game flows much more realistically than in Live. I love how the signature shooting styles, freethrow styles and movements look. In Live, everyone almost shot exactly the same. In my limited playing time, I've been wondering why I've been wasting my time with Live..

couple quick tips that i had to force myself to do when i started.

1. as your doing, practice the iso moves over and over. they actually do work, but you have to be able to do the one you want relaibly.

2. make yourself use the shot stick near the basket. as a button guy, i tend to use X to shoot jumpers, but when i first started, i used x to try layups and post shots as well and got fustrated sicne i walways got blocked.

The right stick, as you've probley seen in the tutorials, is realitive. so, its about 100 times more sueful down on the block. for instance, right on the stick= righty lay up, left = lefty, towards rim = dunk/ floater away = bump and fade layup/ shot. and thats just the begning. on baseline drives for instance, if you just hit x you do the canned layup and get blocked. but flicking the shot stick towards out of bounds will do an up and under, while away will do a "im going to bump you and go for a hook shot" move.

the shot stick in the paint takes gettign used to, but once you have it down, it makes low post offense a joy :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 12:47:18 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I played for about 30 mins after I finished off my homework last night and WOW! I had to spend time learning the controls since I'm a Live convert but the practice mode which allows you to play 5v5 is awesome. The learning curve for the isomotion controls might take me a while, but the game flows much more realistically than in Live. I love how the signature shooting styles, freethrow styles and movements look. In Live, everyone almost shot exactly the same. In my limited playing time, I've been wondering why I've been wasting my time with Live..

1. as your doing, practice the iso moves over and over. they actually do work, but you have to be able to do the one you want relaibly.

2. make yourself use the shot stick near the basket. as a button guy, i tend to use X to shoot jumpers, but when i first started, i used x to try layups and post shots as well and got fustrated sicne i walways got blocked.

The right stick, as you've probley seen in the tutorials, is realitive. so, its about 100 times more sueful down on the block. for instance, right on the stick= righty lay up, left = lefty, towards rim = dunk/ floater away = bump and fade layup/ shot. and thats just the begning. on baseline drives for instance, if you just hit x you do the canned layup and get blocked. but flicking the shot stick towards out of bounds will do an up and under, while away will do a "im going to bump you and go for a hook shot" move.

the shot stick in the paint takes gettign used to, but once you have it down, it makes low post offense a joy :D

Tommy Point for you. Thanks for the tips. I didn't know you could do different shots with the shot stick so that's going to be something I try out after I finish my homework. I thought that the shots went off relative to where you were, but now actually choosing the type of shot is pretty sweet. I started using X for jumpshots but quickly found that I was getting rejected in the post. The shot stick is so ingenious I wish I converted earlier. But the isomoves were a bit wonky because I had no idea what I was doing. I was just flicking the stick while holding down R2. Sometimes I would find a nice path, somethings I just went all over the place. So, yeah, I definently need practice so I can do the moves when I want. Can KG do his dream shake in 2k9?

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 12:49:10 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
lets get a league started in xbox live!!!

This will show how much I really play (and my ignorance) but can someone on PS3 play online against someone on 360?

No.. this is the ultimate drawback of PS3. the number of xbox live users are far greater than PS3.

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 01:02:04 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Tommy Point for you. Thanks for the tips. I didn't know you could do different shots with the shot stick so that's going to be something I try out after I finish my homework. I thought that the shots went off relative to where you were, but now actually choosing the type of shot is pretty sweet. I started using X for jumpshots but quickly found that I was getting rejected in the post. The shot stick is so ingenious I wish I converted earlier. But the isomoves were a bit wonky because I had no idea what I was doing. I was just flicking the stick while holding down R2. Sometimes I would find a nice path, somethings I just went all over the place. So, yeah, I definently need practice so I can do the moves when I want. Can KG do his dream shake in 2k9?

i think he can, yea.

i would go into practice, and go to the mode ( i think the first one?) where its just you vs. the rim.

it has about 5-6 tutroial sections that teach you how to do everything with the iso moves and the shot stick
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 01:07:19 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

I'm an X guy myself for shooting - i like the to use the right stick for dribbling moves...

You said you use the X button for shooting, too? From what i've found, i can use the right stick for shooting only when holding down the left trigger button at the same time; so my question to you is how are you using the right stick for layups when you have your controller set for X as shoot?  I tried driving to the basket, then hitting LB and right stick at the same time and it didn't really work - plus it's a hell of a lot of buttons to hit just to get off a good layup.

Any advice for me? i suppose i could convert to the default controls, but i was pretty darn good in 2k8 with Alt B settings.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 01:13:11 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I'm an X guy myself for shooting - i like the to use the right stick for dribbling moves...

You said you use the X button for shooting, too? From what i've found, i can use the right stick for shooting only when holding down the left trigger button at the same time; so my question to you is how are you using the right stick for layups when you have your controller set for X as shoot?  I tried driving to the basket, then hitting LB and right stick at the same time and it didn't really work - plus it's a hell of a lot of buttons to hit just to get off a good layup.

Any advice for me? i suppose i could convert to the default controls, but i was pretty darn good in 2k8 with Alt B settings.

i use the defaults. on default, both x and the right stick are shoot. holding down the left trigger puts you in isomotion mode, which uses the left stick to do the moves while maintaining the right stick as shoot. so if im running down the lane, its just a simple flick of the right stick left or right to finsh how i want.

ive never used the alt+b controls, i take it on that one the right stick is the isomotion moves instead of shoot? i can see how that would make the iso moves easier to do, since on the defualt controls, sometimes my pulling of the right and left trigger lags behind my brain and i do the wrong iso move hehe.

(worth noting, i have a 360. i don't know if the shot stick/ buttons are the same on ps3.)

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 01:22:09 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

i use the defaults. on default, both x and the right stick are shoot. holding down the left trigger puts you in isomotion mode, which uses the left stick to do the moves while maintaining the right stick as shoot. so if im running down the lane, its just a simple flick of the right stick left or right to finsh how i want.

ive never used the alt+b controls, i take it on that one the right stick is the isomotion moves instead of shoot? i can see how that would make the iso moves easier to do, since on the defualt controls, sometimes my pulling of the right and left trigger lags behind my brain and i do the wrong iso move hehe.

(worth noting, i have a 360. i don't know if the shot stick/ buttons are the same on ps3.)

360 here, too.

Yea i find it easier to just flick the right stick in order to do a dribbling move, only problem is Alt B takes away my ability to change/control my shot.  i imagine that holding down RT to sprint and then trying to quickly get LT down and flicking the left stick at the same time would get a little messy.

i guess it comes down to what you'd rather have more control over, dribbling or finnishing.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 01:28:51 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
yea, that seems to be the trade off alright  :-\.

i couldn't swap now though, its so awesome to be able to be like "tough luck buddy, ive got you beat to the left so im taking it up left and sealing you with my body, flick left"

but at the same time, iso moves do sometimes get messy when im under the gun, espically late in the clock.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:42:43 PM by crownsy »

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2008, 02:37:04 PM »

Offline Celtic Justice

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
i picked up a copy for ps2 yesterday, i still dont have a next gen console (although i think im going to get 1), the gameplay was smoother, i noticed certain players shooting styles have changed (i.e. Ray Allen).  What I was most disappointed about was the lack on new players on PS2.  They have big baby in the game (unlike last year), but Bill Walker, Gidden, and Miles were all not on the roster.  Also, PJ Brown and Scott Pollard were still on the C's.  My last grip is, OKC Thunder were still the Seattle Supersonics in the game.  Does any1 know if the Living Roster thing is up yet?  I need to get online and see if the updates will fix the default rosters.

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

The controls are a little stiff for me right now

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
i picked up a copy for ps2 yesterday, i still dont have a next gen console (although i think im going to get 1), the gameplay was smoother, i noticed certain players shooting styles have changed (i.e. Ray Allen).  What I was most disappointed about was the lack on new players on PS2.  They have big baby in the game (unlike last year), but Bill Walker, Gidden, and Miles were all not on the roster.  Also, PJ Brown and Scott Pollard were still on the C's.  My last grip is, OKC Thunder were still the Seattle Supersonics in the game.  Does any1 know if the Living Roster thing is up yet?  I need to get online and see if the updates will fix the default rosters.

not to sound elitiest, but i think they pretty much put minimal development time into the ps2 version at this point. im surpised they didn't update the rosters though.

living rosters is up, it downloaded one for me this morning, though i have no idea what it did hehe.

indeed- I think its them making it toughter to abuse the "stutter" tap step. i noticed it last night, that mvoe got a MAJOR nerf and its throw off my whole offensive game plan, since i abused it near the rim  ;D

it still works, but it doesn't seem to give you that "haha sucker, i got a full head of steam !!!" drive.

momentum in general seems alot more realistic this year, i Can't explode from a foot away from the basket anymore. seems liek they really put the emphasis on defense this eyar (which is awesome)

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2008, 03:01:18 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
you are all over this thread huh crownsy???

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
you are all over this thread huh crownsy???

work is sloooowwwww today... and i'm already itching to get home to play a few games :D

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 04:42:26 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
got my copy for 360 yesterday, incredible game, but i tried the online play for the first time today, and the lag was terrible! i have high speed (cable) and have never had issues with 2k8, so i don't know what was going on, but i couldn't even make a free throw, let alone a jumpshot. this sixers fan i was playing was being the magic, and TORCHED me from downtown...i don't even get it.

however, i finished the game, and made a couple good runs in the process haha.

association mode is much better than last yeah IMO, and the graphics are crazy good...and the crowd doesn't look like polygons lol. the control feels much improved from last year's, and i'm loving the way the timeouts are set up so you can take a full or a 20 second, and tweak a ton more than just your lineup.

anyways, good game, and i'm excited to dig in to the game a bit deeper.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 04:48:44 PM by screwedupmaniac »

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2008, 02:21:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I bought it.  It's alright.  Meh.

When you play actual games, it's pretty good.  I like it.  I guess it's as good as it gets.  I had fun playing against a friend of mine.  Good animation. They finally got the animation correct with the nets.  Good action.  They got the players down.   Fun times.

One random question.  With the 80s/90s legends teams.  Why certain missing players?  Couldn't find John Stockton, Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Charles Barkley.  Obviously no Michael Jordan, but do those guys all own their personal rights also?  Kinda weird.  Any websites where it shows you how to create those guys as authentic as possible?

Another random related question.  Why does the screenshot of Larry Bird's face have him with floppy hair, but in the game he's got a short cut.  Sup with that?

And the killer for the game is again Association Mode.  Again, it sucks.  Same gripes I've had with these games for years.   The navigation is horrid and it's far too easy to create a dominant team.   Far too easy.  Use whatever cap room you have to sign whatever highest rated free agent you can afford.  Then immediately put him on the trading block.  Take the best option.  Then put that best option immediately on the trading block.  Take the best option.... immediately put him on the trading block... take the best option.   Upgrade every player by putting them all on the trading block and taking players with higher ratings.  Keep doing it... before you know it you have all 85+ starters and a bunch full of 80+ players.  Took me two seasons to turn the Bucks into a dominant force.   As always, these association modes are a joke.  How hard is it to add a couple features preventing you from immediately trading a player you just traded for?  I also am disappointed that the profile images used for computer generated rookies are all the same rehashed pre-stock photos.  How hard would it be to just have all the faces randomly generated using a face generation engine... and then have the profile images be a picture of those faces?   I hate having 2 rookies who are penny hardaway lookalike identical twins.      Where's the big improvements this year?  Same crap I played on NBA 2k7

Oh and the Hawks won the 2009 title.  The Clippers won the 2010 title.   ::)

I guess it's the best these console games can get.  I've only played it for a bit, but so far I'm not that impressed.  What am I missing?