Author Topic: Live 09 vs 2K9  (Read 15227 times)

Live 09 vs 2K9
« on: October 01, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
I've been a 2K guy for I don't know how long,  but I may give Live a chance this year. I know it might be crazy but Live is suppose to have Online Be a Pro mode on it which if it is anything like the Be A Pro in NHL 09 it will be awesome.  2K has something called The Other League but my take on it is it is a 1 on 1 league which sucks.  I wish 2K had a demo,  Live does and it is not that bad.  Not sure but Be a Pro could be a different maker.  Also doesn't it scare you a little that there is no Demo out there yet.  I they trying to hide something?

Re: Live 09 vs 2K9
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 06:26:19 PM »

Offline Greenwood

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
2k is the way to go for game play for sure.  No one has been able to touch that in a while.  But my opinion is that if you are looking for a be a pro mode NBA 09's inside mode looks more promising and deeper than live for sure. 

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 06:33:23 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
In the last basketball game I played, the Boston Celtics roster had the big 3, DJ and guys like Kevin Gamble, Pickney, Shaw, Birdsong, Upshaw, Acres... But it was a funny game, although with some little practice you'd beat anyone easily. Birdsong firing consecutive triples in Jordan's face was a thing of beauty.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:31:18 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
still sticking with 2k9...in the realism vs. arcade dept., 2k basketball games are always a notch above.  i believe this will be EA's best effort in some time, but still not going to be better than 2k.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 10:42:28 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
2k is the way to go for game play for sure.  No one has been able to touch that in a while.  But my opinion is that if you are looking for a be a pro mode NBA 09's inside mode looks more promising and deeper than live for sure. 

I think you're gonna find NBA 09 is the best basketball you've played...and you'll play it for a while. Then you'll play NBA 2k9 and realize it really is peerless right now as far as basketball games (and all sports games for my money) goes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:14:08 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
still sticking with 2k9...in the realism vs. arcade dept., 2k basketball games are always a notch above.  i believe this will be EA's best effort in some time, but still not going to be better than 2k.

my feeling has always been that EA goes after those who want an arcade experiance (which their is nothing wrong with, its just not for me) they always have insane dunks doable by anyone and defense like the nuggets by the AI.

NBA2k goes for realism, which is what i'm looking for.

Either game is good, if thats your taste.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 11:26:35 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I've been a 2K guy for I don't know how long,  but I may give Live a chance this year. I know it might be crazy but Live is suppose to have Online Be a Pro mode on it which if it is anything like the Be A Pro in NHL 09 it will be awesome.  2K has something called The Other League but my take on it is it is a 1 on 1 league which sucks.  I wish 2K had a demo,  Live does and it is not that bad.  Not sure but Be a Pro could be a different maker.  Also doesn't it scare you a little that there is no Demo out there yet.  I they trying to hide something?

If you're looking for some breakdowns on both games (particularly 2k9), there have been several threads started in just the past couple of weeks with solid contributions.

You're going to find that CB overwhelmingly favors 2k basketball over live.  I have my copy reserved at Gamestop and can't wait till Tuesday.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
2k9 is got our boy on the cover lol ;D

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have owned every 2K basketball game since 02 (when I believe it really began). I will again be purchasing the next game in this series, 2k9, but don't expect it to be perfect. It seemed to me that its best years are in the past. When ESPN was making the game in 2k5 and 2k6, I think it was at its best. Walton was the main announcer and the gameplay was smooth, but not too smooth. I was a little let down last year at some game play options that didn't quite seem to be up to par.

Again, I am definitely looking forward to the new game, and maybe it will get smoothed out again, but I am not as excited as I was 3-4 years ago when I couldn't be pulled away from my xbox...

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I think this year is going to be the big step up. 2k8 gave me the feeling that it was 'almost there.' In that, I mean they finally figured out how to translate basketball to the higher level systems.

This year they work out the final quirks and translate it to the basketball game we've all been dying for.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 01:20:29 PM »

Offline Greenwood

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5

I think you're gonna find NBA 09 is the best basketball you've played...and you'll play it for a while. Then you'll play NBA 2k9 and realize it really is peerless right now as far as basketball games (and all sports games for my money) goes.

I agree completely, 2K is great and 09' should be a very entertaining side game.  The web site is really cool too www.stepinsidethelife.com

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 02:41:01 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Every year I go through this same debate in my head and every year I stay loyal to "Live". I've always enjoyed EA sports games and this year with "NBA DNA" they regain the prime-time basketball gamer.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 02:46:55 PM by Jsaad »

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 03:00:49 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Every year I go through this same debate in my head and every year I stay loyal to "Live". I've always enjoyed EA sports games and this year with "NBA DNA" they regain the prime-time basketball gamer.

This is my dilemma as well. I really like the go-to-moves for the star players which makes it a little bit more "real". All the sports games I've ever (really just college) played were all EA.

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 03:14:36 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

This is my dilemma as well. I really like the go-to-moves for the star players which makes it a little bit more "real". All the sports games I've ever (really just college) played were all EA.

not to nit pick, but NBA2k has had "player spacfic" moves for the last two years. Last year there were 400 Unique jumpshots, and a ton of player spacific move set (15 low post sets alone)

"wade's "sprint back", lebron biting his nails, shaqs walk off, Kobe's hand up till net then turn and fist pump, ect)

from what i've seen of DNA, its NBA2k's "isomotion" with a difrent name.

I'll probley gamefly them both, but i'd be shocked if NBA2k gets unseated. we'll see though.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 03:16:38 PM »

Offline Rizzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
I think I'm with the consensus here and am more of a 2k guy. Live is too arcadish for my liking. To be completely honest though, I'm still playing the hell out of College Hoops 2k8 and think that it is definitely the most complete basketball game on the market. That's just me though.