Author Topic: Xbox360 and Netflix  (Read 14175 times)

Xbox360 and Netflix
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:39:23 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
HD - DVD VS. Blueray

For those who don’t know, Microsoft and Sony went head to head through gaming systems (Xbox 360 and PS3) trying to set the standard for High definition movie viewing.

The Xbox got a head-start on the market by launching their 360 first with the HD - DVD movie player to be an optional, eternal-device feature which allowed Microsoft to keep the prices low. Their Japanese counterpart took the opposite approach and attached the Blueray internally on their new system. This was a shrewd move by SONY for a couple of different reasons. 1) They were attempting to dictate to their gamers what HD player to use. 2) They had to raise the price making their system $200 more then Xbox360. Talk about stones! It worked, and the Japanese Company won the battle.

Last July the announcement came through that Netflix would be offering its service over Xbox this fall. This means when you want to rent a movie out of Netflix database (much larger then Comcast “on- demand”) you are a click away. This could be devastating to the Blueray because people will have the option of watching HD movies at home without having an HD player.

I for one will not be buying a Blueray player. I think that the CD is to the Ipod as a DVD is soon to a 360. Thoughts?

Re: Xbox360 and Netflix
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:45:20 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
the ps3 is great if you want a game system + the blue ray.

IF you just want a pure gaming system, the box is cheaper and better for that (xbox live >>>>> ps3 online services, and sony lost its last big exclusive in Final fantasy, so there even on games.)

there both good, if you want a full home entertainment system, spend the extra cash and go ps3. if your just looking for a gaming system, go 360.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 08:27:34 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The president of Samsung just said that he expects Blu-ray to be dead within 5 years, 10 at the most, due to downloadable digital content.

I'm not sure if I buy that.  People like to own things.  Many, many people I know own 100+ dvds.  The storage capacity it would take to house all of those movies digitally in HD is something that I just don't see becoming commonplace. 

I also don't think that Xbox will be the decider.  While it's true that many people own an Xbox, the vast majority of consumers still do not.  It will certainly help move the cause of digital downloads forward, but I don't think it will be the ultimate decider that makes such downloads main stream.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:37:59 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
The president of Samsung just said that he expects Blu-ray to be dead within 5 years, 10 at the most, due to downloadable digital content.

I'm not sure if I buy that.  People like to own things.  Many, many people I know own 100+ dvds.  The storage capacity it would take to house all of those movies digitally in HD is something that I just don't see becoming commonplace. 

I also don't think that Xbox will be the decider.  While it's true that many people own an Xbox, the vast majority of consumers still do not.  It will certainly help move the cause of digital downloads forward, but I don't think it will be the ultimate decider that makes such downloads main stream.

I agree, and with an HD movie taking up about 7 gigs there probably won't be a player that holds over 50 HD movies on a hard drive. but I do believe there will be a server that will allow users to own the right to movies and download anytime. A youtube type of deal expect with HD movies. Xbox is starting that process with 12 million Xbox live users already.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:44:57 AM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
l think the ps3 is also getting netflix using play on  services so l'll go with sony

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:51:22 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Jsaad, sorry about deleting your original post - I was cleaning out spam posts and mistook yours for another spam topic

glad to see you reposted
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:53:44 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

IF you just want a pure gaming system, the box is cheaper and better for that (xbox live >>>>> ps3 online services, and sony lost its last big exclusive in Final fantasy, so there even on games.)

there both good, if you want a full home entertainment system, spend the extra cash and go ps3. if your just looking for a gaming system, go 360.

I wouldn't say they are even on games, 360 has the majority of top PS3 games (but not Metal Gear, which I really want), but the 360 still has more exclusives over PS3. I still will probably end up getting a PS3 eventually, but it's gonna be a Wii first.

I also have no faith in Bluray for a long period of time. The change from VHS to DVD took decades and was a monumental improvement in quality. DVD to Bluray has come way too soon, and the quality improvement is nowhere near as large, not to mention the required hardware to display in 1080p, bluray's resolution.

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 10:13:41 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I wouldn't say they are even on games, 360 has the majority of top PS3 games (but not Metal Gear, which I really want), but the 360 still has more exclusives over PS3. I still will probably end up getting a PS3 eventually, but it's gonna be a Wii first.

I also have no faith in Bluray for a long period of time. The change from VHS to DVD took decades and was a monumental improvement in quality. DVD to Bluray has come way too soon, and the quality improvement is nowhere near as large, not to mention the required hardware to display in 1080p, bluray's resolution.

i agree, i have a 360 and a wii, and honestly, i have zero desire to own a ps3.

i'm not anti-sony or anythign, i love my ps2. but with them losing all thier exclusives and the fact that there 200$ more expensive, i'm all set with the ps3 unless somethign drastic changes.

I think sony really dropped the ball on the ps3, markiting wise. Dropping backwards compatablity was a huge mistake, as was not providing a price point match to the 360 intialy.

To me, sony bet the farm on blue ray justifing there overpriced system. with exclusives that might have worked, now that they've lost them all to multi platform, i have zero reason to drop them any coin when the onyl thing my 360 lacks is blue ray.

I mean, if i wanted blue ray, i'd by a blue ray player sony. should have kept to your gaming roots

(and yes, i know, "but blue ray is the future of gaming!!! i heard that 3 years ago, and 2 years into development, they still can't figure out how to program in blue ray. so, sony now can say "well, we fit more data on a disc!! but i really could give a hoot less if i have to have 3 Final fantasy DVD's for xbox to sony's 1. claiming they could program in blue ray before seeing if they could was a huge mistake. it cost them a year as they tried to develop games for it before launch, and it will cost them going forawrd.)

my final thought on the subject: it's ridculous, from a marketing standpoint, that i own a 360 and wii for what sony wants me to pay for the non-stripped ps3. Thats been there problem, not quality of system. if you gave me a blank check, i would probley go with a PS3 over 360. but 360's cost, combined with the fact that i had it a year before the ps3 launched, combined with the high price point, ensures i will not have a sony gaming system this gen. mabey next time sony, i still love ya.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 10:15:24 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Jsaad, sorry about deleting your original post - I was cleaning out spam posts and mistook yours for another spam topic

glad to see you reposted

Oh all good, I thought It just didn't post... I was thinking that was wierd.

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:21:49 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

i'm not anti-sony or anythign, i love my ps2. but with them losing all thier exclusives and the fact that there 200$ more expensive, i'm all set with the ps3 unless somethign drastic changes.

I think sony really dropped the ball on the ps3, markiting wise. Dropping backwards compatablity was a huge mistake, as was not providing a price point match to the 360 intialy.

To me, sony bet the farm on blue ray justifing there overpriced system. with exclusives that might have worked, now that they've lost them all to multi platform, i have zero reason to drop them any coin when the onyl thing my 360 lacks is blue ray.

I mean, if i wanted blue ray, i'd by a blue ray player sony. should have kept to your gaming roots

(and yes, i know, "but blue ray is the future of gaming!!! i heard that 3 years ago, and 2 years into development, they still can't figure out how to program in blue ray. so, sony now can say "well, we fit more data on a disc!! but i really could give a hoot less if i have to have 3 Final fantasy DVD's for xbox to sony's 1. claiming they could program in blue ray before seeing if they could was a huge mistake. it cost them a year as they tried to develop games for it before launch, and it will cost them going forawrd.)

my final thought on the subject: it's ridculous, from a marketing standpoint, that i own a 360 and wii for what sony wants me to pay for the non-stripped ps3. Thats been there problem, not quality of system. if you gave me a blank check, i would probley go with a PS3 over 360. but 360's cost, combined with the fact that i had it a year before the ps3 launched, combined with the high price point, ensures i will not have a sony gaming system this gen. mabey next time sony, i still love ya.

Hmm... interesting. So PS3 is looking to develop game in Bluray? Tp, now that I wasn't aware of...

but from a marketing standpoint that there initial gamble was successful. they defeated HD-DVD, even at the cost of mainstream gaming.

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 10:35:47 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Hmm... interesting. So PS3 is looking to develop game in Bluray? Tp, now that I wasn't aware of...

but from a marketing standpoint that there initial gamble was successful. they defeated HD-DVD, even at the cost of mainstream gaming.

yes, initaly sony claimed that they could develop games in the blue ray format, which would destroy xbox graphics (so they said at launch)

reports came out that while you can write graphics for blue ray, it can't draw very fast with regards to random events (so like, call of duty, which is all about random draw events, would be impossable). the best they managed (again according to developer reports on kotaku) was 15 FPS for games with random draw events (read: all games pretty much), which would be unbearable gaming.

And, to be honest, they would have won the format war with or without blue ray in the ps3. sont owns part of movie studio ( i forget which, someone will list it im sure, i want to say they have a stake in MGM and paramount? not sure)

the problem is, they claim that blue ray drove the PS3's price up. well fine, but that kills you when you and your competitor are on equal footing. What they should have done was offer a blue ray player attachment, (like 360 did with HD-DVD) and match price with 360. they would have destroyed microsoft, and probley been able to keep there exclusives.

All the exclusives there losing, when the reports come out, cite the user install base. FF13 is multy platform outside of japan because square litteraly said in its press release "i'm sorry, we will make zero money back outside japan, your too far behind sony. 360 gets it too"

but, its not liek this will destroy sony. they'll still do alright this generation, and next generation they'll probley go back to pure gaming without the gimmicks, and win.

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 11:34:25 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Im just waiting for when you can plug the cable into the back of your neck and experience the movie like a vivid dream. The release date is 2080 and I can-not WAit!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 11:41:01 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I just have one thing to say:

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 11:51:07 AM »

Offline BigThreePeat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
i love the xbox 360.  The main thing I love about the XBox 360 is that I was able to hook it up to my computer network and stream all sorts of pirated movies and tv shows from my PC in excellent quality.   This is the reason I shelled out $200 bucks for the xbox 360 to begin with.  I freakin LOVE that.   I downloaded every episode of "The Wire" and easily streamed it all to my 65 inch big screen in the living room thanks to that nifty little machine.   

Ok so... for media pirates it's amazing....   But I actually have never tried to purchase downloadable video content via the 360.   A friend of mine said he tried and the main fallback was that regardless of his internet speed, there were several times when the video stopped to buffer (I assume he was trying to stream in realtime?) and it was just a pain.   I haven't looked into it too deeply, but do most people just save the file to the 360 HD?  I guess it's a cool option.  I wonder how fast a HD movie will download though.

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 11:51:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
As a side note, on the matter of price:  yes, PS3 is more expensive.  However, to make your 360 wireless, you have to buy an $80 adapter (it's built in with PS3), and you need to buy some sort of rechargeable battery kick for the controller (built in with the PS3). 

An 80 GB PS3 is $400; a 60 GB Xbox 360 is $300. 

Is wireless + rechargeable controller + blu ray player + 20 extra GB worth $100?  I think that clearly, it is.  The PS3 is, in my opinion, a much more cost effective product at the moment.

I have both systems; they're basically identical right now (with promises that PS3's graphics will be better in the future; I'll believe it when I see it).  The Xbox has slightly better exclusive games, although the PS3 has its share, as well.  I think they're both worth owning, but if price was my only factor, I think you have to go with the PS3.  It's just a much better deal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions