Author Topic: [Charania] Magic steps down as President of Basketball Operations (*Walton gone)  (Read 15199 times)

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Luke Walton has shown me nothing that would indicate to me he is even an average NBA coach.  He made a lot of fundamental mistakes and coaching blunders.  And he doesn't seem to be getting any better.  I really don't get the love affair that Buss has with him.  He should be fired.

Maybe, he was the first guy to stand up to LeBron.    This season is not on Walton it is one LeBron, he is not the best player on the planet anymore.   He is probably top five but he sure as heck is not top three.   Giannis and Harden are better.   One could make an argument for Durant over him as well.   He is athletically starting to fade.

That said, Magic should have also been fired.  He created a trainwreck of a roster.  He had to pursue and sign Lebron (you can debate whether he is worth it, but it had to be done), but aside from drafting Kuzma, basically every other move the Lakers made since he took over has been an unmitigated disaster.  The roster construction was atrocious.  The trades were awful and the free agents signings were even worse.  And then knowing he wasn't going to put in the real work required to be the President of a basketball team, he hired an unproven agent to be the basketball guy.  Just an unmitigated disaster as an executive.  The Lakers are lucky he resigned.  He did them a favor.

LeBron has done this kind of stuff on every team he has been on.   When he talks GM gets the guys he wants.   They tried it with Davis and alienated the whole team.   I think LeBron given his record deserves equal blame.    Magic won't say but could he be leaving because of LeBron?

I don't think there is any way he is a top 5 player in the league. He is a complete one way player at this point in his career. Leonard, Durant, Giannis, Harden, George all completely dwarf his impact on the floor. Even a two way guy like embiid has a bigger impact on the game.
Lebron's regular season numbers were still great even though he had his 1st major injury.   Last playoffs he showed that he could carry a garbage Cavs team to the finals.  I'm doubtful that anyone else could have done that. 

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Luke Walton has shown me nothing that would indicate to me he is even an average NBA coach.  He made a lot of fundamental mistakes and coaching blunders.  And he doesn't seem to be getting any better.  I really don't get the love affair that Buss has with him.  He should be fired.

Maybe, he was the first guy to stand up to LeBron.    This season is not on Walton it is one LeBron, he is not the best player on the planet anymore.   He is probably top five but he sure as heck is not top three.   Giannis and Harden are better.   One could make an argument for Durant over him as well.   He is athletically starting to fade.

That said, Magic should have also been fired.  He created a trainwreck of a roster.  He had to pursue and sign Lebron (you can debate whether he is worth it, but it had to be done), but aside from drafting Kuzma, basically every other move the Lakers made since he took over has been an unmitigated disaster.  The roster construction was atrocious.  The trades were awful and the free agents signings were even worse.  And then knowing he wasn't going to put in the real work required to be the President of a basketball team, he hired an unproven agent to be the basketball guy.  Just an unmitigated disaster as an executive.  The Lakers are lucky he resigned.  He did them a favor.

LeBron has done this kind of stuff on every team he has been on.   When he talks GM gets the guys he wants.   They tried it with Davis and alienated the whole team.   I think LeBron given his record deserves equal blame.    Magic won't say but could he be leaving because of LeBron?

I don't think there is any way he is a top 5 player in the league. He is a complete one way player at this point in his career. Leonard, Durant, Giannis, Harden, George all completely dwarf his impact on the floor. Even a two way guy like embiid has a bigger impact on the game.
Lebron's regular season numbers were still great even though he had his 1st major injury.   Last playoffs he showed that he could carry a garbage Cavs team to the finals.  I'm doubtful that anyone else could have done that.

I think every player I mentioned could. Lets not forget that team had another all-star on it and the east was a joke last year.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
LeBron: coach killer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Has there ever been a star with this kind of reputation? Every team he goes to, barring Spoelstra supported by Riley, has suffered this fate to a certain extent recently. Crazy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
Has there ever been a star with this kind of reputation? Every team he goes to, barring Spoelstra supported by Riley, has suffered this fate to a certain extent recently. Crazy

Wilt Chamberlain -- had problems with every coach except for Alex Hannum and Bill Sharman.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Wilt Chamberlain -- had problems with every coach except for Alex Hannum and Bill Sharman.
Cheers, didn't know that.

Maybe it's something to do with being a physical freak, lol

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Shaq had a lot of coaching issues.  One of the reasons he left Orlando.  Jordan got a couple of coaches fired before Phil.  There have been plenty of ithers.  It isn't that uncommon for the all time greats where the expectation to win is so great that the coaches are often the ones left to take the fall when the winning doesn't happen.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Shaq had a lot of coaching issues.  One of the reasons he left Orlando.  Jordan got a couple of coaches fired before Phil.  There have been plenty of ithers.  It isn't that uncommon for the all time greats where the expectation to win is so great that the coaches are often the ones left to take the fall when the winning doesn't happen.
Oh, the method of discrediting others so that LeBron's image doesn't look as bad is applied.

I think it is better to simply accept the truth, it reaps better results in the long-term.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:16:28 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Everyone knows this isn't what we're talking about with LeBron

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Oh, the method of discrediting others so that LeBron's image doesn't look as bad is applied.

I think it is better to simply accept the truth, it reaps better results in the long-term.

yea the attempt at comparing Shaq was particularly silly. I don’t think you could say Shaq got a single coach fired in his long career. Then you look at Lebron who is now getting his personal puppet coach (Moranis I know you are on record saying he is a lousy coach) potentially hired in a second place... it’s completely unprecedented 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Master of Panic.  You know that because Shaq got Van Gundy fired.  Magic got Westhead fired. Jordan got Doug Collins fired.  This idea that Lebron is the first player to be a coach killer is silly nonsense.  He won't be the last either and it absolutely comes down to expectations a lot of the time.

And at the end of the day those teams all got better coaches and won titles.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

yea the attempt at comparing Shaq was particularly silly. I don’t think you could say Shaq got a single coach fired in his long career. Then you look at Lebron who is now getting his personal puppet coach (Moranis I know you are on record saying he is a lousy coach) potentially hired in a second place... it’s completely unprecedented
as bad as Lue is, he is a better coach than Luke Walton.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Master of Panic.  You know that because Shaq got Van Gundy fired.  Magic got Westhead fired. Jordan got Doug Collins fired.  This idea that Lebron is the first player to be a coach killer is silly nonsense.  He won't be the last either and it absolutely comes down to expectations a lot of the time.

Being a superstar and at one point getting one coach fired is far different than being a superstar and being a coach killer. Lots of stars have gotten one coach fired. Few have the track record of getting multiple coaches and GMs fired like LeBron has.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Being a superstar and at one point getting one coach fired is far different than being a superstar and being a coach killer. Lots of stars have gotten one coach fired. Few have the track record of getting multiple coaches and GMs fired like LeBron has.
there have been also been very few superstars with a collection of crap coaches like Lebron has had as well.  I mean we are talking about guys like Mike Brown, David Blatt, and Luke Walton.  Perhaps if those teams actually found a good coach (like say Spo in Miami) they would have kept their jobs.
 As for GM's, Dan Gilbert has never retained a GM after their first contract expires. I wouldn't call that a Lebron problem.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

there have been also been very few superstars with a collection of crap coaches like Lebron has had as well.  I mean we are talking about guys like Mike Brown, David Blatt, and Luke Walton.  Perhaps if those teams actually found a good coach (like say Spo in Miami) they would have kept their jobs.
 As for GM's, Dan Gilbert has never retained a GM after their first contract expires. I wouldn't call that a Lebron problem.

Spo? come on now. The only reason Spo kept his job was because he had a strong boss in Riley who I believe owns a piece of that team, so he speaks with the authority of an owner.