Author Topic: [Charania] Magic steps down as President of Basketball Operations (*Walton gone)  (Read 15185 times)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
20 years ago he tried coaching , after a few games got frustrated and quit .

He was about to go down as a epic GM failure .   He bailed and left the Lakers in lurch ...nothing new to him.

LeBron seems happy , no remorse ,   one more person out of his way in his quest for power .

Would be great if Luke survives .

Lakers think West @ 80 is coming to save them .   He can't he works for Clips and has Doc and good thing there .  As usual Laker s media delusional. 

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
20 years ago he tried coaching , after a few games got frustrated and quit .

He was about to go down as a epic GM failure .   He bailed and left the Lakers in lurch ...nothing new to him.

LeBron seems happy , no remorse ,   one more person out of his way in his quest for power .

Would be great if Luke survives .

Lakers think West @ 80 is coming to save them .   He can't he works for Clips and has Doc and good thing there .  As usual Laker s media delusional.

Lakers are going to be in trouble IF they don't land another big fish this summer. With that said, I also don't see why many FA's (the superstar ones) will even consider LAL after the drama that's unfolded here. Lebron himself seems to be checked out for the most part (focusing on films, Hollywood, etc.)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
LeBron's personal ESPN reporter Brian Windhorst was all over Sportscenter this morning, blasting Jeannie Buss. Her "reign has been an utter disaster"

No question that LeBron has been the one doing Jeannie dirty with the press

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
LeBron's personal ESPN reporter Brian Windhorst was all over Sportscenter this morning, blasting Jeannie Buss. Her "reign has been an utter disaster"

Windhorst didn't say a thing during the year about her. But a parrot got a treat so now he spoke.

How dumb was LeBron to go there?
This is not LeBron hate, let's be real, how dumb of a decision was that?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I wonder if this means Kobe Bryant now gets offered some type of front office role with the Lakers and helps in trying to recruit another star to play alongside Lebron.

Kobe clearly still has alot of influence over alot of current NBA players, whereas perhaps Magic (being a star player in the 80s) isn't quite the draw he used to be.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

reported Magic had a 3 hour meeting with Buss and day before 3 hour meeting with LeBum Camp .   Stuck in the middle ,  she was not happy about firing Luke and Camp Lebron was demanding Luke be fired.   He was stuck middle ,  he decided this was no fun .

This is the power struggle Lebron brings , he was a odds with the owner of Cavs .   Lebron wants ALL the power .   So, not even the Lakers seem willing to go all in and give him ultimate control.

Where ever Lebron goes will will not listen to anybody .  He is spoiled beyond help.   

Magic s biggest mistake was inviting the fox into the hen house , and it bit him in the rear. 

Buss should just run Lebron and his camp of thugs off .  Start over and chalk it up to a major learning experience .   Keeping Lebron will only add more misery in the long run.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

reported Magic had a 3 hour meeting with Buss and day before 3 hour meeting with LeBum Camp .   Stuck in the middle ,  she was not happy about firing Luke and Camp Lebron was demanding Luke be fired.   He was stuck middle ,  he decided this was no fun .

This is the power struggle Lebron brings , he was a odds with the owner of Cavs .   Lebron wants ALL the power .   So, not even the Lakers seem willing to go all in and give him ultimate control.

Where ever Lebron goes will will not listen to anybody .  He is spoiled beyond help.   

Magic s biggest mistake was inviting the fox into the hen house , and it bit him in the rear. 

Buss should just run Lebron and his camp of thugs off .  Start over and chalk it up to a major learning experience .   Keeping Lebron will only add more misery in the long run.

I don't necessarily disagree with some of your points here, but it probably isn't reasonable or appropriate to refer to Lebron and "his camp of thugs." What makes them "thugs"?

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't necessarily disagree with some of your points here, but it probably isn't reasonable or appropriate to refer to Lebron and "his camp of thugs." What makes them "thugs"?

The thuggish tactics they used to try to force a Davis trade.  I don’t think he meant literal thug. His agent took multiple teams hostage (not literal), poisoned multiple locker rooms (not literal) and stabbed his teammates in the back (not literal) by adopting a scorched earth (not literal) approach.

;D

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Luke Walton has shown me nothing that would indicate to me he is even an average NBA coach.  He made a lot of fundamental mistakes and coaching blunders.  And he doesn't seem to be getting any better.  I really don't get the love affair that Buss has with him.  He should be fired.

That said, Magic should have also been fired.  He created a trainwreck of a roster.  He had to pursue and sign Lebron (you can debate whether he is worth it, but it had to be done), but aside from drafting Kuzma, basically every other move the Lakers made since he took over has been an unmitigated disaster.  The roster construction was atrocious.  The trades were awful and the free agents signings were even worse.  And then knowing he wasn't going to put in the real work required to be the President of a basketball team, he hired an unproven agent to be the basketball guy.  Just an unmitigated disaster as an executive.  The Lakers are lucky he resigned.  He did them a favor.

Jeanie Buss is quickly becoming James Dolan as an owner.  It is clear she has no idea what she is doing on the basketball side of things.  She should just stick to business.  Her brother may have made some mistakes, but he at least knows basketball.  I don't think Jeanie does.  She has no business running the basketball side of a team.   

The Lakers from top to bottom are a mess and I couldn't be happier. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Being an executive isn't going to be all glitzy and glamorous.

Magic like MOST ex-professional superstars just don't fit this job.

Just like being a head coach, Magic should have known he wasn't the right fit from the get go.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The thuggish tactics they used to try to force a Davis trade.  I don’t think he meant literal thug. His agent took multiple teams hostage (not literal), poisoned multiple locker rooms (not literal) and stabbed his teammates in the back (not literal) by adopting a scorched earth (not literal) approach.

;D
agreed. 

I think what would be the smartest move for LA is to trade Lebron for whatever they can get and reboot the roster.  it'd clear Lebron and Rich Paul's poison from the team, hopefully net them some decent assets from some other team foolish enough to ignore the LA/Lebron mess as well as having the added humbling effect on Lebron that he's not wanted somewhere (and possibly a number of places that turn down LA's trade offers --> if I was in the Laker front office and traded off Lebron, I'd make sure he and Paul were fully aware of how many teams turned down a trade offer for him so he could feel the 'love' he gets from the rest of the league).

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I think there could more to the story as well that perhaps we don't know yet.

Interesting potential twist I'm reading/hearing about.

Chris Broussard (I know, I know) talking about an article ESPN was working on about Magic's mistreatment of employees.  Speculates the NBA may have pushed ESPN to nix the story, but says he has known a story has been in the works since at least November.  And Broussard was told it might be a situation where Magic would have to step down.

Starts at 1:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcaNyqBeINM&t=1m42s

Magic even referenced that story yesterday:
“I know that article is not an accurate article. I can tell you that now,” Johnson said, per Bill Oram of The Athletic. “… Now it’s some disgruntled, former Laker employees (talking to reporters). Yeah, they gonna say (what) they gonna say, ‘cause they wasn’t doing their jobs. So what is a person going to do? Point the finger bad about the person who fired them.”

And the quote above supposedly taken from an article from The Athletic by Sam Amick (who is much more reliable).

So there's some speculation that the article may be coming out soon, and that's why Magic abruptly quit.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 02:31:14 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
The more Magic talks the more dumb the Lakers organization looks. Had no business hiring him.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
The more Magic talks the more dumb the Lakers organization looks. Had no business hiring him.

Quite sad it’s over already. Would have loved to see him at the helm for a longgggg time.

Let’s hope they don’t get someone competent in there.
CELTICS 2024

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

funny how many fans, even Laker fans thought the same , but ....oh ..you better not say it too loud or ..yeah ypur just a hater ...LOL.

If Magic was not qualified experience wise to be a full blown president gm ,  then Lady Buss is just as unqualified or much less to be making day to,day basketball decisions .  Lakers FO is built on feel good emotions , ol buddy system friends and not about grind it out hard workers .  Only Luke seemed to put the effort in .  But he had too many enemies to ever win , bringing in LeWhine was bound to doom him to failure from the get go...history repeats Bron.  How dare he try and be a real coach . LOL

Long as Bron is there it will be about drama and basketball second.