Author Topic: "We might win the Atlantic!"... (looks at schedule)... N/M  (Read 8741 times)

Re: "We might win the Atlantic!"... (looks at schedule)... N/M
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
1. Delusional is a bit insulting
2. We beat Chicago
3. We beat New York twice, Orlando twice, Atlanta once, Indiana once so playing those 5 games against those teams encourages us "delusional" fans.
4. Celtics have quietly put together one of the best records in the league since the All-Star break at 13-5 while playing 11 of those games on the road and losing player after player to injury.
5. If Ray and Pietrus come back and are healthy come the playoffs where games will be every other day, anything is possible.
1. Unless you actually think every playoff team legitimately has a chance at a title (meaning Atlanta, New York, Utah, Memphis, Houston) then you're nuts to think this Celtic team has a shot. 
2. We beat them without Rose.  Didn't count.
3. True.  We beat them.  None of them are contenders.  I'll give you that...  it's not an automatic that we lose 11 of our final 16.  We're just in danger of it happening.
4. Soft schedule
5. Unless they grow 8 inches and start playing center... no chance.

I for one do not believe those teams do not have a "Legitimate" chance of getting the title, but I do however see a very slim chance. But I think the Celtics have an outside chance. Just because you always give up on the team when they aren't doing good doesnt mean those who continue to support the team are "Delusional" or "Nuts". If there is anyone delusional its you for thinking that you can foresee the future  ::)

Perfectly said. Plus 1

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 10:07:10 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
1. Delusional is a bit insulting
2. We beat Chicago
3. We beat New York twice, Orlando twice, Atlanta once, Indiana once so playing those 5 games against those teams encourages us "delusional" fans.
4. Celtics have quietly put together one of the best records in the league since the All-Star break at 13-5 while playing 11 of those games on the road and losing player after player to injury.
5. If Ray and Pietrus come back and are healthy come the playoffs where games will be every other day, anything is possible.
1. Unless you actually think every playoff team legitimately has a chance at a title (meaning Atlanta, New York, Utah, Memphis, Houston) then you're nuts to think this Celtic team has a shot. 
2. We beat them without Rose.  Didn't count.
3. True.  We beat them.  None of them are contenders.  I'll give you that...  it's not an automatic that we lose 11 of our final 16.  We're just in danger of it happening.
4. Soft schedule
5. Unless they grow 8 inches and start playing center... no chance.

I for one do not believe those teams do not have a "Legitimate" chance of getting the title, but I do however see a very slim chance. But I think the Celtics have an outside chance. Just because you always give up on the team when they aren't doing good doesnt mean those who continue to support the team are "Delusional" or "Nuts". If there is anyone delusional its you for thinking that you can foresee the future  ::)

No my girlfriend just makes me watch a lot of episodes of "Psyche" and I start getting these crazy ideas that using observation and common sense can give you a vague idea of what to expect.

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Just out of curiosity is there any correlation between the team that wins it all and their record against contenders that year?

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 10:09:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Just out of curiosity is there any correlation between the team that wins it all and their record against contenders that year?
Basically none, title teams don't generally overperform against other contenders relative to their expected record in such games.

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 10:11:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why are the the teams outside of the top 4 even showing up anymore?  

The Celtics are tied for 1st place in the Atlantic, therefor they have no chance to win the Atlantic?

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 151
I'm mad at myself for reading this thread, I knew I should've stopped reading them after you said you haven't watched pretty much any games this season by choice.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Miami lost to the Bulls without Rose. Clearly they are getting ousted in the first round

I guess that's why Miami is the 2nd seed and the Bulls are the 1st, innit?

Ok seriously though.  In individual games anything can and does happen.  Miami lost to the Bulls without Rose.  At that point you just have to go, "Meh... it happens".

My overall point is that in the 9 (or 6) games we've faced off against what most basketball fans would consider the clear contenders... we've lost.  And we've lost for completely understandable reasons like lack of rebounds and interior defense (something that tends to happen when you don't have a center).  Sure you can just look at each game and go, "meh... it happens".   But 9 times in a row?  

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

... at what point do you just stop and accept, "oh ok... we're good, but we aren't good enough to beat the best"

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 10:17:43 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Miami lost to the Bulls without Rose. Clearly they are getting ousted in the first round

Ok seriously though.  In individual games anything can and does happen.  Miami lost to the Bulls without Rose.  At that point you just have to go, "Meh... it happens".

My overall point is that in the 9 (or 6) games we've faced off against what most basketball fans would consider the clear contenders... we've lost.  And we've lost for completely understandable reasons like lack of rebounds and interior defense (something that tends to happen when you don't have a center).  Sure you can just look at each game and go, "meh... it happens".   But 9 times in a row?  

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

... at what point do you just stop and accept, "oh ok... we're good, but we aren't good enough to beat the best"

When they lose the last game of the season and the season is over. Sorry dude but the 2001 Patriots and 2004 Red Sox showed me you never give up just because the chances of winning aren't in your favor.

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I'll still watch the 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, Nth times and cheer them on because they are capable of making the other team go "Meh... it happens".
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Basically none, title teams don't generally overperform against other contenders relative to their expected record in such games.

What are you basing that statement on?   Pretty much every champion you can find over the past 15 years won at least 52 games (63% win percentage).  It was clear with all of them that they were good in the regular season.  Find me a team that just limped into the playoffs with a .500 record and took the whole thing.

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 10:23:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

What are you basing that statement on?   Pretty much every champion you can find over the past 15 years won at least 52 games (63% win percentage).  It was clear with all of them that they were good in the regular season.  Find me a team that just limped into the playoffs with a .500 record and took the whole thing.
The two underlined statements are very different things. Record versus contender in the first statement and overall record in the second statement.

Our overall record is not indicative of us being a contender, but the last lockout season had the Knicks make the Finals and this current group made a big run from the 4 seed after winning 50 games in 09-10.

So while I think its unlikely I'm not going to give up on this team. If you'd rather talk about how much they suck, well however you enjoy rooting for your team.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:30:12 AM by Fafnir »

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

What are you basing that statement on?   Pretty much every champion you can find over the past 15 years won at least 52 games (63% win percentage).  It was clear with all of them that they were good in the regular season.  Find me a team that just limped into the playoffs with a .500 record and took the whole thing.
The two underlined statements are very different things. Record versus contender in the first statement and overall record in the second statement.

Our overall record is not indicative of us being a contender, but the last lockout season had the Knicks make the Finals and this current group made a big run from the 4 seed after winning 50 games in 09-10.

So while I think its unlikely I'm not going to give up on this team. If you'd rather talk about how much they suck, well however you enjoy rooting for your team.

Yeah I'm aware the Knicks did that.  Let's chalk that up to the importance of having size.  They had Ewing, Camby, Kurt Thomas and Larry Johnson during the first two rounds.  Ewing went out early on in the ECF, but they still managed to upset Indiana.  That's a period in time when the Eastern Conference was so weak that Iverson took the 76ers to the FInals and Jason Kidd managed to lead the Nets there twice.

What we are asking this undermanned undersized Celtic team to do is come out of a conference where there are two clear dominant teams standing in their way (Chicago and Miami).

Personally in order for this skeptic to believe such feats were possible, he'd have to start taking hallucinogens.

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The way things are now, we aren't anywhere near contender status. I doubt we are even 'dark horse' status at the moment.
Injuries have prevented us from seeing this team at its best or 90% of the season.
I actually think we have a better shot at upsetting Miami than Chicago.
Chicago will just crush us on the glass and the bench war, and their defense is brutal as well.

For us to have a realistic shot at making the finals we obviously have to get ridiculously lucky:
*We have to get past the Heat and force them to shoot from the outside like we did last year- where they were on fire. I doubt they'll ever shoot like that against us for 5 games in a row ever again. Problem is their team is deeper and tougher.
*We have an advantage inside against them and if we can take away their penetration and fast break (which we are very good at doing) then we could pull some kind of miraculous upset. Problem of course is that they are liable to have at least 3 games where either one of Wade, James or Bosh goes off. Bosh won't be as big of a factor because of KG, but an older Pierce and Ray guarding Lebron and Wade is just a recipe for disaster, and Ray+Pierce's defense is going to make it tougher for them to keep their legs when we need them hitting open jump shots.
It's just very hard to envision us beating them 4 of 7 games- it is possible though. I'd say maybe we have a 15-20% chance of everything going our way in the above mentioned.

If we somehow got past Miami in the first round, and got to the Bulls in the ECF or 2nd round, we would have to pray that Rose is still struggling from injury.
There is basically no way we can beat this team because of their size and depth if they are at 100%.
We are just too shallow of a team. Our starting five will be fine, but our horrid bench will be out rebounded, out scored, out defended, out hustled. There isn't one thing we will have an advantage on them with our bench and they'll take advantage of us unfortunately. We'll basically have to pray that we shoot the lights out in the opening game in Chicago and can somehow pull off a win to make them nervous.

Winning Atlantic doesn't mean anything to me now. I'd rather we get everyone healthy and get our rotations playing together.
Schedule is tough but it's a good time to test our defense and give our bench some very needed practice against 500+ teams.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

When they lose the last game of the season and the season is over. Sorry dude but the 2001 Patriots and 2004 Red Sox showed me you never give up just because the chances of winning aren't in your favor.
Very good points. Those teams weren't extremely old but very good point. The Pats were a bunch of nobodies and the Red Sox were down 0-3 and their best player was going through experimental surgery.

But those teams played well during the regular season. This team is a little more up and down. Nevertheless....anything is possible

TP

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 10:45:39 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

"Meh... it happens"

Wait you don't watch the games?