Author Topic: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive  (Read 203184 times)

Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive
« on: March 08, 2020, 03:34:57 PM »

Offline Newtonmom1

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
Does anyone know what happens if the NBA decides to play games without fans present? Do the Celtics have to refund our money?

Also, what happens with tickets already sold via Ticketmaster?

I was really looking forward to the playoffs, but now I’m thinking I shouldn’t buy my playoff strip, or I could get stuck with a lot of games that no one either wants to, or is able to attend.

id be interested to know how others are thinking about the rest of the season?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:04:26 PM by Roy H. »

Re: What happens if games played without fans?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 03:49:28 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Haven’t heard anything; I bet a lot of NBA brainpower is being expended!

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 04:58:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
All the games will be like Heat games....

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 05:10:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You hear a lot more squeaking of sneakers on TV.......

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 06:33:08 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
You hear a lot more squeaking of sneakers on TV.......
and cussing
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Coronavirus: League to Discuss Measures
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 02:03:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Per Woj, the league is having a meeting Wednesday to discuss measures that may need to be taken in response to the coronavirus.

One measure that's possible is having games played in arenas with only "essential personnel" present.

Imagine games played in basically an enormous empty gym.

Could that happen for playoff games? 

It seems impossible now, but who knows what may happen in the next month or two.

One question I have is -- could this affect the salary cap for next season?  Could loss of revenue due to end of season / playoff coronavirus measures, would that lower the cap next year, or would the effect not be felt until a year later?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Coronavirus: League to Discuss Measures
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 02:07:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Certainly it could affect the salary cap.  Loss of revenue from ticket sales, concession sales, and in-game advertisement will necessarily reduce revenues.  Keeping the games on TV would help.  Keeping players exposed to fewer people would also be good, because I still want to know what happens if/when coronavirus strikes a team.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 02:18:34 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Certainly it could affect the salary cap.  Loss of revenue from ticket sales, concession sales, and in-game advertisement will necessarily reduce revenues.  Keeping the games on TV would help.  Keeping players exposed to fewer people would also be good, because I still want to know what happens if/when coronavirus strikes a team.

The irony here being that the league was so concerned about TV ratings and its possible TV may soon be the ONLY way to watch the NBA.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 02:23:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
How extreme could salary cap effects become if teams actually lose out on playoff revenue due to no-fans-in-seats?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 02:25:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

The irony here being that the league was so concerned about TV ratings and its possible TV may soon be the ONLY way to watch the NBA.

Not quite sure if ironic is the right word.  But I’d expect their tv ratings will rise as more people stay home as opposed to going to events.  I was at Symphony Hall in Boston last Tuesday, and if the house was more than 30% full I’d be shocked, and having looked at ticket availability online the day of the concert, most of those empty seats had been sold.  I’ve never seen it that empty.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 02:28:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
How extreme could salary cap effects become if teams actually lose out on playoff revenue due to no-fans-in-seats?

Who knows.  One could see the league and players association at least considering negotiating a multi-year smoothing due to the extraordinary situation.  Right now the NBA’s primary goal is to not cancel the season — it’s not a given they’ll achieve it.

Re: Coronavirus and the NBA(merged threads)
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 02:44:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think this is becoming inevitable. More and more places are cancelling including schools, public hearings, etc.

Lebron won’t play? Yeah right. He’ll change his tune.

Re: Coronavirus and the NBA(merged threads)
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 02:45:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Let’s just hope the season doesn’t get cancelled.

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 02:49:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Who knows.  One could see the league and players association at least considering negotiating a multi-year smoothing due to the extraordinary situation.  Right now the NBA’s primary goal is to not cancel the season — it’s not a given they’ll achieve it.
Cancellation of professional and collegiate sports seasons are a very real possibility, moreso than I think most people realize. I certainly don't think it's inevitable, but given social isolation might be a major factor in mitigating the spread of the disease, then it's at least, definitely on the table.

I am also sure leagues, teams, and players would prefer black or white options in dealing with this. Either play games in front of full crowds or just cancel them altogether. No in between with games being played in empty arenas or games being forfeited due to a team being quarantined. It will an all or nothing decision, I am sure.

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 03:17:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Cancellation of professional and collegiate sports seasons are a very real possibility, moreso than I think most people realize. I certainly don't think it's inevitable, but given social isolation might be a major factor in mitigating the spread of the disease, then it's at least, definitely on the table.

I am also sure leagues, teams, and players would prefer black or white options in dealing with this. Either play games in front of full crowds or just cancel them altogether. No in between with games being played in empty arenas or games being forfeited due to a team being quarantined. It will an all or nothing decision, I am sure.

Speaking as someone somewhat connected with the performing arts industry, there has been a global move to broadcast as many performances as possible in lieu of canceling. And performing arts makes almost all of their revenue from attendance — I would be surprised if the NBA, which earns billions from broadcasting their product, would cede that revenue short of explicit orders from authorities.

That said, I’m no longer anticipating attending the Celtics game in DC two weeks from now.