Author Topic: NBA board expected to ok season restart plan  (Read 14610 times)

Re: NBA board expected to ok season restart plan
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2020, 11:59:12 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The more I keep reading about the NBA 'bubble' the less it actually seems like a bubble at all.

So, Disney World will in fact be open to the public while the NBA tournament is going on and Disney employees will be coming and going from the premises.  That's not quite what I was envisioning.  I assumed it was going to be a completely isolated environment and once you entered the bubble you couldn't leave and come back.  I'm rather surprised there is going to be as much co-mingling as it seems there will be.

None of it would stop me from playing, but I'm not concerned about getting Covid, given the odds of it affecting me in any meaningful way are less than the odds of me getting struck by lightning.  But I also understand why others might feel differently, which is why it seems to me like the NBA's plan could still very easily fall apart.

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2020, 07:23:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Spencer Dinwiddie tested positive for COVID AND is displaying symptoms for it (fever, chest tightness, etc.). He's unsure if he'll end up playing in Orlando a month from now

Sad to hear. Hope he gets better.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2020, 07:39:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The more I keep reading about the NBA 'bubble' the less it actually seems like a bubble at all.

So, Disney World will in fact be open to the public while the NBA tournament is going on and Disney employees will be coming and going from the premises.  That's not quite what I was envisioning.  I assumed it was going to be a completely isolated environment and once you entered the bubble you couldn't leave and come back.  I'm rather surprised there is going to be as much co-mingling as it seems there will be.

None of it would stop me from playing, but I'm not concerned about getting Covid, given the odds of it affecting me in any meaningful way are less than the odds of me getting struck by lightning.  But I also understand why others might feel differently, which is why it seems to me like the NBA's plan could still very easily fall apart.

Disney World is 40 square miles in size, which is about the same size as San Francisco.  It should be possible in theory to give the NBA a portion of the grounds and create some sort of bubble around it.  That said, you’re right that generally the more that is open and moving around near the NBA, the more difficult it will to be to keep the virus out of the NBA bubble.

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2020, 09:51:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Spencer Dinwiddie tested positive for COVID AND is displaying symptoms for it (fever, chest tightness, etc.). He's unsure if he'll end up playing in Orlando a month from now

Add DeAndre Jordan to the list. Tested positive. Won't go to Orlando

Lol the Bucks or Raptors are going to have the easiest first round matchup with basically the entire Nets team missing. Probably most of the Wizards team missing too. 

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2020, 09:57:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Lol the Bucks or Raptors are going to have the easiest first round matchup with basically the entire Nets team missing. Probably most of the Wizards team missing too.

Unfortunately what’s happening to the Nets is why there’s still a good chance this thing won’t get off the ground.

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2020, 10:40:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Unfortunately what’s happening to the Nets is why there’s still a good chance this thing won’t get off the ground.

Yeah, I also feel the same way. I mean, we can't just ignore what's happening with Florida right now.

Anyways, the more we see players drop out, the more this season feels "gimmicky". Don't blame the players at all as their reasons are legit, but ultimately it feels like you have just 6-7 real teams competing, and then the rest of them won't be at full strength because players dropped out. People are signing with contending teams right now (JR Smith, Noah, etc.) basically right before the playoffs.

Wouldn't even surprise me if some of the players on teams on the outside looking in simply decide to not return. I mean, why return to play maybe a few games, get eliminated and then go back home again. Why put yourself at risk for all that.

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2020, 12:30:56 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Maybe, but i actually feel like in general things have actually gone fairly well so far in terms of player participation.

Guys like Ariza and Bertans are on teams that likely wont even make the tournament. Guys like WCS weren't really in their teams rotation. And the literally nobody thought the nets were making it out of the first round this year. I mean arguably the most important player to opt out so far has been Avery Bradley.

And sure, 16 guys were found positive in the first round of testing but i feel like thats been a little over reported. That was to be expected, its in general fairly close to  what we're seeing i the US population as a whole and was done early enough  to allow those guys to pass the virus ad participate  in the restart.

So we'll see what happens, but I dont think anything we've seen so far is a deal breaker. What happens in orlando obviously factors in, but in principal the whole point of the bubble is to mitgate that risk.

It feels  like the league and players are pretty determined to make this happen.

Then again a lot can change quickly, if 2020 has taught us anything its that.

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2020, 05:25:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
3 Pelicans players tested positive. Also...

https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/status/1278013079410933763

Umm, so Adam Silver will be in and out of the bubble? And he's not staying the entire time!?

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2020, 07:22:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Well, we can add the Bucks to the list of teams that recently shut down their practice facilities due to personnel testing positive for covid-19:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29415459/sources-bucks-shut-practice-facility-receiving-results-recent-coronavirus-testing

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I be shock if the NBA restart the season..but I be shock if any sport start back up
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2020, 08:00:22 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Well, we can add the Bucks to the list of teams that recently shut down their practice facilities due to personnel testing positive for covid-19:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29415459/sources-bucks-shut-practice-facility-receiving-results-recent-coronavirus-testing

So Covid has already interfered with some teams' readiness to participate.  It is an absolutely unnecessary and irresponsible thing to play basketball when one of the more risky things you can do is play basketball.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/what-activities-put-you-at-risk-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/2400486/

Terrible modeling.  Wrong thing to do.

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

So Covid has already interfered with some teams' readiness to participate.  It is an absolutely unnecessary and irresponsible thing to play basketball when one of the worst things you can possibly do is play basketball.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=zOYgQlr5&id=BCDDBB502AAD170B5C26E59A629490E4EF0B8221&thid=OIF.5aObMywYweD5j1%2blH07Ewg&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fvid.alarabiya.net%2fimages%2f2020%2f07%2f05%2f6b7d3101-a30c-45d7-8126-dbe566b061cd%2f6b7d3101-a30c-45d7-8126-dbe566b061cd_16x9_600x338.png&exph=337&expw=600&q=covid+risk+chart&simid=150519923501&ck=E5A39B332C18C1E0F98F5FA51F4EC4C2&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

I agree. I love sports, but people need to realize that this situation is still a long way from being resolved, and restarting sports now is just not a good idea. Abbreviated seasons? A bunch of players opting out? Asterisks next to titles? No thanks. Just forget this season and start planning for the next.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2020, 08:33:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

So Covid has already interfered with some teams' readiness to participate.  It is an absolutely unnecessary and irresponsible thing to play basketball when one of the worst things you can possibly do is play basketball.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=zOYgQlr5&id=BCDDBB502AAD170B5C26E59A629490E4EF0B8221&thid=OIF.5aObMywYweD5j1%2blH07Ewg&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fvid.alarabiya.net%2fimages%2f2020%2f07%2f05%2f6b7d3101-a30c-45d7-8126-dbe566b061cd%2f6b7d3101-a30c-45d7-8126-dbe566b061cd_16x9_600x338.png&exph=337&expw=600&q=covid+risk+chart&simid=150519923501&ck=E5A39B332C18C1E0F98F5FA51F4EC4C2&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

I agree. I love sports, but people need to realize that this situation is still a long way from being resolved, and restarting sports now is just not a good idea. Abbreviated seasons? A bunch of players opting out? Asterisks next to titles? No thanks. Just forget this season and start planning for the next.

Agreed.  Cancel NBA, MLB, NHL.  Move NCAA football to the spring.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2020, 10:04:55 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I see this as a good test for the rest of our society. If the NBA with all the money and expertise it has to set up ideal precautions and testing won't manage to get through a reduced season, then how can we expect the average business establishment to do it? 

Of course, the major difference is most businesses can't afford to just close until next year, the NBA can, but, it is an interesting test. Also, NBA players are top level athletes and young, if they end up having an outbreak of covid-19, the hospitalization rates and long term effects should in theory be almost non-existent. This would but that theory to the test.

I would never recommend doing this just to test these things out, but since they are doing it on their own initiative, we may as well learn what we can from it.