Author Topic: NBA board expected to ok season restart plan  (Read 14753 times)

Re: NBA board expected to ok season restart plan
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2020, 03:47:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Some more info from Shams.

Sources: The NBA informed the Board of Governors of scheduled dates:

- Training camp: June 30, July 7 travel to Orlando
- 2019-20 season: July 31
- Free agency: Oct. 18
- 2020-21 targets: Nov. 10 training camp, Dec. 1 opening night (can remain fluid)

That "can remain fluid part", the players' union has a call on Friday, I'm guessing there might be some push back from the players there. 

At least 2 teams are looking at less than a month off between seasons, while a Christmas start at least gives players something closer to a 2 month break.  The players pushing back here would be my guess.

Or of course they just might be leaving the door open for more Corona virus issues, which might still be impacting large public gatherings by then.

Yeah, we may as well get in whatever NBA action we can before wave #2 of coronavirus comes this winter

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2020, 05:07:46 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Wow, SO Game 7 is on Oct 12 and opening night on Dec 1? I wonder if they're gonna condense the 82-game season to like maybe 50...

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2020, 05:12:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I think they should start every season in December and play through the summer.  Makes far more sense to me.  Don't overlap with football that much, don't have a similar season to hockey, finish up before baseball really ramps up for the postseason, etc.  I mean how awesome would the NBA Finals be in August right before football really ramps up.  You could do the draft on Labor Day Weekend.  Free agency would be most of September. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2020, 05:43:30 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I think they should start every season in December and play through the summer.  Makes far more sense to me.  Don't overlap with football that much, don't have a similar season to hockey, finish up before baseball really ramps up for the postseason, etc.  I mean how awesome would the NBA Finals be in August right before football really ramps up.  You could do the draft on Labor Day Weekend.  Free agency would be most of September.

Its not a bad idea, but every other year the playoffs would run against the Olympics and the World Cup.

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2020, 12:01:30 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

- 2020-21 targets: Nov. 10 training camp, Dec. 1 opening night (can remain fluid)

Any word on when the draft is?  That's got to making them nuts.
Yup

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Its not a bad idea, but every other year the playoffs would run against the Olympics and the World Cup.
heard the proposed season shift this morning and thought it was an idea worth looking into.  the comments about going up against the Olympics and World Cup would be a concern for the league looking to maintain global interest not to mention the issues that would arise from players wanting to play in the Olympics.

as someone who doesn't really follow the other sports anymore, I'd be fine with the basketball season going year round  :)

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2020, 09:26:21 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

Any word on when the draft is?  That's got to making them nuts.

October 15th.

Three days btw the draft and free agency.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2020, 09:28:57 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

heard the proposed season shift this morning and thought it was an idea worth looking into.  the comments about going up against the Olympics and World Cup would be a concern for the league looking to maintain global interest not to mention the issues that would arise from players wanting to play in the Olympics.

as someone who doesn't really follow the other sports anymore, I'd be fine with the basketball season going year round  :)

The time zones are pretty off for the next two summer Olympics  (Tokyo & Paris) and World Cup (Qatar, which I believe is going to be Nov & Dec) that I don't think it'd be too much of an issue since I imagine the live events overlap would be minimal.   Although, it could very well be an issue with tape delay.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 10:01:13 AM by Donoghus »

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2020, 11:16:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The time zones are pretty off for the next two summer Olympics  (Tokyo & Paris) and World Cup (Qatar, which I believe is going to be Nov & Dec) that I don't think it'd be too much of an issue since I imagine the live events overlap would be minimal.   Although, it could very well be an issue with tape delay.
I think they were talking about having the players play in the Olympics and World Cup.  That would be an issue, but Hockey makes the Olympics work, so I don't think it is that big of a deal. 

I also wouldn't be opposed to moving basketball to the winter Olympics, which in many respects makes far more sense.  It is played indoors and in the winter season everywhere.  Much easier to pause the NBA season in January/February for a month in an Olympic year when you don't finish the season for a long time after that. 

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2020, 12:09:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think they were talking about having the players play in the Olympics and World Cup.  That would be an issue, but Hockey makes the Olympics work, so I don't think it is that big of a deal. 

I also wouldn't be opposed to moving basketball to the winter Olympics, which in many respects makes far more sense. It is played indoors and in the winter season everywhere.  Much easier to pause the NBA season in January/February for a month in an Olympic year when you don't finish the season for a long time after that. 

I don't think the IOC wants to put hockey and basketball in the same event.  Overall viewership of those sports might individually suffer.

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2020, 01:11:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I also wouldn't be opposed to moving basketball to the winter Olympics, which in many respects makes far more sense. It is played indoors and in the winter season everywhere.  Much easier to pause the NBA season in January/February for a month in an Olympic year when you don't finish the season for a long time after that. 

I don't think the IOC wants to put hockey and basketball in the same event.  Overall viewership of those sports might individually suffer.
Maybe, maybe not.  Might increase viewership for both with basketball being the centerpiece and people who watch basketball watching hockey more.  Basketball should be a winter sport.  I think you could still have basketball in the summer, but they could do more fun things like 3 on 3, or outside with wind, etc. 

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2020, 01:20:13 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Is there a single sport in the Winter Olympics that doesn't involve snow or ice? No.

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2020, 02:04:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Is there a single sport in the Winter Olympics that doesn't involve snow or ice? No.
That is true.  There are also only have 15 winter sports, while summer has 47 sports.  There shouldn't be that level of imbalance.

https://www.olympic.org/sports

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2020, 02:25:31 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Resuming this season means squishing next season too, and I'm not sure I like that. Players won't have much of a rest between seasons, which likely means the Hospital Celtics will be in full effect next season as well.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2020, 09:32:42 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Resuming this season means squishing next season too, and I'm not sure I like that. Players won't have much of a rest between seasons, which likely means the Hospital Celtics will be in full effect next season as well.

Gordon Hayward will be the first to join that list. Then Marcus Smart. Then Enes Kanter.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)