Author Topic: austin rivers entering the draft  (Read 4367 times)

austin rivers entering the draft
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:40:47 AM »

Online cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Per cbs sports...god for the celts..because he is likely to fall after having a lackluster first season at duke.

With the way the clippers are playing we could land 2 nice mid-teen picks

Re: austin rivers entering the draft
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think so, I think even if the Clippers just miss the playoffs (so pick 11-14 barring them getting a top 3 in the lottery) he'll be out of our draft range.

I think he'll be taken in the top ten or so, but who knows the draft boards have been all over the place. Either way I don't really like him next to Rondo and I really don't want to make Doc coach his son.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Great pedigree, super-intense on the court, and the NBA is pathetically thin at the 2 guard spot right now. He'll go top-10.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:50:31 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I don't think it would have been worthwhile for Austin Rivers to stay at Duke if he wasn't going to be used as a PG. Going pro is a better option than staying at Duke.

Going to a different college where he is certain his new head coach will use him at the point would have been his best option.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:54:37 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I don't think it would have been worthwhile for Austin Rivers to stay at Duke if he wasn't going to be used as a PG. Going pro is a better option than staying at Duke.

Going to a different college where he is certain his new head coach will use him at the point would have been his best option.

Not really, not when transferring costs you a year without competing. He's better off going to the pros to learn the 1.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 11:55:30 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Has he hired an agent?  Because I think it was always a lock that he would test the waters.  The question is whether he will stay in the draft after getting some more information.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 11:56:37 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Should've stayed in school another year and worked on his game.

I don't think he's quite ready for the next level yet.  I think another year under Coach K and refining his game at the college level would've helped. Perhaps Who is right and part of the struggle was system-related but I saw a kid who tried to go into hero mode a little too much to the detriment of his team.  His game isn't there yet.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 11:57:08 AM »

Online cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
See I think he hurt his stock at duke this year...didn't have the best year and sort of created a reputation as a "me first" type player...he could go top 10 but a lot of mocks have him falling because of those reasons

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Has he hired an agent?  Because I think it was always a lock that he would test the waters.  The question is whether he will stay in the draft after getting some more information.
I thought that the NCAA mucked the deadlines up so that its harder for kids to get information without compromising their eligibility now.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I thought that the NCAA mucked the deadlines up so that its harder for kids to get information without compromising their eligibility now.

He still has until April 10th to test the waters.  The new rule does make it harder, but it still gives him time to get some feedback. 

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Until he signs an agent I think he will return to school.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Personally, I think Rivers' game would benefit from another year in college.

If he really is going to enter the draft, he could be anywhere from a top 10 pick to mid-late 1st rounder right now.  On talent alone he's top 10, but will there be a team that needs a SG and thinks picking him in the top 10 is good value?

As a far as the Celtics potentially picking him, I hope they do not.  Just seems like far too risky a situation.  I don't like that father/son coach/player dynamic at all.  While it could work really well, if things go bad, it would have the potential to be really bad.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 12:20:44 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Until he signs an agent I think he will return to school.
The article says that he is signing an agent

"@GoodmanCBS: SCOOP: Duke freshman Austin Rivers will sign with an agent and head to the NBA, sources told http://t.co/gBwyPYeJ -- http://t.co/9QAAXt29"

I think he'll be long gone by the time we pick.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
we need this kid. his shot is nice.

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

Not really, not when transferring costs you a year without competing. He's better off going to the pros to learn the 1.
he's never played point guard in his life, he's a pure shooting guard and he's 6'4.What makes you think he needs to be a point guard? theres only a handful of shooting guards who are taller than 6'4, and they are basically forwards.