Poll

Are we tanking this season?

Yes
41 (44.1%)
No
52 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Are we tanking this year?  (Read 38934 times)

Re: Are we tanking this year?
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2014, 09:40:15 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
The Lakers are in tough shape but I don't really blame anyone in particular. They mortgaged the future and managed to put together the best team on paper(arguably) going in '12-13. It just all came crashing down with Nash and Kobe falling apart and Howard bolting. I see it as them experiencing some really bad luck(about time).
The only thing that worries me is that the Lakers are trying to out-tank us. Scott has come up with a swindling masterpiece - his team gets defeated and there is nothing the opponents can do about it. Other than Philly there is no team in the NBA so good at losing as the LAL.
"Scott has decided that the Lakers will snub their collective noses at modern basketball thinking and stop taking so many three-pointers. [...] Mid-range jumpers are the least efficient shot in basketball. Corner threes are among the most efficient. Over two games, the Lakers have taken 95 mid-range jumpers and eight threes ... none of which were in the corners."
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/10/17/6993657/lakers-worst-team-byron-scott-kobe-bryant

Ahh " Focusing on taking more mid range jumpers and less threes" should have been in your euphemisms for tanking thread!  We'll see how it goes. I still think they fare just well enough to wind up having to give Phoenix their pick. Even if they "luck out" and keep the pick they still look to be years away from being in contention, so sleep well.

« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2014, 12:14:01 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Scott's not doing that in some nefarious effort to lose the games though, and there's some argument to be made for the mid range shot -- Portland upended Houston because the Rockets were willing to let guys shoot that shot all day in the playoffs.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2014, 12:25:51 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Scott's not doing that in some nefarious effort to lose the games though, and there's some argument to be made for the mid range shot -- Portland upended Houston because the Rockets were willing to let guys shoot that shot all day in the playoffs.

The '08-'12 Celtics made their offensive living off the mid-range jumper. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2014, 12:30:44 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Correct. I think a lot of people read "worst shot in basketball" and assume that there's no reason for a team to take that shot, which isn't necessarily true.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2014, 12:32:35 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Nope..
to much talent to say this team tryin to tank

« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2014, 07:03:52 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Have you checked out LAL's pre-season results?

« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2014, 08:16:01 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Nope..
to much talent to say this team tryin to tank
Too much talent is exactly my thoughts.

« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Vegas does not agree with us projected for 27 wins.

« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2014, 09:32:43 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Vegas does not agree with us projected for 27 wins.
27 is generous  ;D

« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2014, 05:38:22 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
At least we are not tanking during the preseason. Enjoyed the victory against the Nets tonight.
Looks like Stevens is really serious with them shooting 3's.
KO has to become more assertive though. He is too nice a guy for this game.

« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2014, 06:02:48 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

The '08-'12 Celtics made their offensive living off the mid-range jumper.

Correct. I think a lot of people read "worst shot in basketball" and assume that there's no reason for a team to take that shot, which isn't necessarily true.

There's no reason to never take the shot. You still need proper balance a little bit, but anyway..

Part of the reason the Celtics' offense became absolutely putrid to watch in 2011-2013 was because we didn't shoot 3's. Blame Doc or Ainge, whoever, but if you aren't able to get to the free throw line, you better start shooting 3s. In the Celtics championship season, they had a 3Pr of 25% and a FTr of 35%. By 2013, the Celtics had a 3Pr of 21% (dropping to as low as 17% in some years in between) and a FTr of 26%. Driving to the rim, drawing fouls, and shooting 3s are three of the most efficient ways of scoring in the NBA. The Celtics barely did any of that after the 2010 season, which is the real reason our overall offense completely fell off (not Rondo like some people like to believe). Seeing as our team clearly lacks a ton of players that can draw fouls (Smart, Turner, and Green pretty much being the only guys who can), Stevens has made the right adjustment and turned the Celtics into a 3PT team..at least in this pre-season.

Basically, I wouldn't exactly put the 2008-2013 Celtics on a pedestal for a great offense based off mid-range shooting. That was a pretty tough offense to watch for much of the era because of all the mid-range shooting.

« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2014, 06:05:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I've liked what I've seen out of Olynyk so far in the preseason.  I'm reading a lot of comments about him needing to be more aggressive, but to me he just looks in control out there, like a guy who is about making the little, glue type plays to help the team win. 

He doesn't look scared to be out there in the same way that he did during the first half of last season.  I'm calling it patience and intelligence. 

He's going to sprinkle in some big scoring games this season.  Trust me. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2014, 07:53:15 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
I've liked what I've seen out of Olynyk so far in the preseason.  I'm reading a lot of comments about him needing to be more aggressive, but to me he just looks in control out there, like a guy who is about making the little, glue type plays to help the team win. 

He doesn't look scared to be out there in the same way that he did during the first half of last season.  I'm calling it patience and intelligence. 

He is 23 yo and 7 ft tall. We don't want him to make little plays. We want him to have a badass attitude. And somebody do something about this freaking pony tail...

« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

He is 23 yo and 7 ft tall. We don't want him to make little plays. We want him to have a badass attitude. And somebody do something about this freaking pony tail...

There is more than one way to be a bad ass. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d36nVUG67pA

That's one bad Canadian. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2014, 12:02:17 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
It's getting hard to talk rationally about this tanking thing because of the patriotism factor and the basic idea of whether or not you tanking is a good strategy.

If you just ask the question, though: "Is winning games this season the organization's top priority?" The answer is obviously no.

Is the organization trying to get the best possible personnel for this season's team? The answer is obviously no.

Is the team pursuing a winning strategy on the court? No, again.

That doesn't add up to tanking, exactly. As an organization, the Celtics aren't racing to the bottom- they just aren't trying to win.

And I would argue that they should be racing to the bottom as just being bad isn't good enough and prolongs the process.